Daytek P818 Multi-region DVD Player

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Moo, May 6, 2004.

  1. Moo

    Moo Guest

    Hello!

    Can anyone confirm some details for the Daytek P818
    (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000AM9G5/ref=cm_mp_wli_/202-0420
    285-9305440?coliid=I23N81RH9PSTPU) please, it is only £34.99 from Amazon and
    I am tempted by it to replace my failing Phillips 723 player.

    Does it support (S)VCD, DVD +/-R, MP3 etc?

    People who have or have used this machine, what are your opinions of it? Is
    it a good machine, easy to use, nice easy to read menus etc. How are the
    subtitles?

    Have you had any problems playing DVDs, any refused to play or thrown a
    wobbly (i.e. such as when Terminator 2 came out and a lot of players fell
    over at the multi-branching).

    Finally, how good is the remote, easy to use, is it going to fall apart in
    six months etc?

    Many thanks for any assistance provide!

    Moo
    Moo, May 6, 2004

  2. Moo

    Biz Guest

    "Moo" <> wrote in message
    > Hello!
    >
    > Can anyone confirm some details for the Daytek P818

    (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000AM9G5/ref=cm_mp_wli_/202-0420
    > 285-9305440?coliid=I23N81RH9PSTPU) please, it is only £34.99 from Amazon

    and
    > I am tempted by it to replace my failing Phillips 723 player.
    >
    > Does it support (S)VCD, DVD +/-R, MP3 etc?
    >
    > People who have or have used this machine, what are your opinions of it?

    Is
    > it a good machine, easy to use, nice easy to read menus etc. How are the
    > subtitles?
    >
    > Have you had any problems playing DVDs, any refused to play or thrown a
    > wobbly (i.e. such as when Terminator 2 came out and a lot of players fell
    > over at the multi-branching).
    >
    > Finally, how good is the remote, easy to use, is it going to fall apart in
    > six months etc?
    >
    > Many thanks for any assistance provide!
    >
    > Moo

    The adage you get what you pay for isnt just BS you know.
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDname=daytek&Submit=Search&Search=
    Search&country=&orderby=Name

    ANd here:

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=daytek P818 revie
    ws&btnG=Search
    Biz, May 6, 2004

  3. Moo

    Moo Guest

    "Biz" <> wrote in message

    > "Moo" <> wrote in message
    > > Hello!
    > >
    > > Can anyone confirm some details for the Daytek P818

    (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000AM9G5/ref=cm_mp_wli_/202-0420
    > > 285-9305440?coliid=I23N81RH9PSTPU) please, it is only £34.99 from Amazon

    > and
    > > I am tempted by it to replace my failing Phillips 723 player.
    > >
    > > Does it support (S)VCD, DVD +/-R, MP3 etc?
    > >
    > > People who have or have used this machine, what are your opinions of it?

    > Is
    > > it a good machine, easy to use, nice easy to read menus etc. How are

    the
    > > subtitles?
    > >
    > > Have you had any problems playing DVDs, any refused to play or thrown a
    > > wobbly (i.e. such as when Terminator 2 came out and a lot of players

    fell
    > > over at the multi-branching).
    > >
    > > Finally, how good is the remote, easy to use, is it going to fall apart

    in
    > > six months etc?
    > >
    > > Many thanks for any assistance provide!
    > >
    > > Moo
    > >

    > The adage you get what you pay for isnt just BS you know.

    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDname=daytek&Submit=Search&Search=
    > Search&country=&orderby=Name
    >
    > ANd here:

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=daytek P818 revie
    > ws&btnG=Search

    Thanks for your reply.

    I understand that 'you-get-what-you-pay-for' but I am a bit short of cash at
    the mo and from what I have told the cheaper players nowadays are, from a
    specs POV not much different from the more expensive varieties, sure they
    don't have as many features or probably won't last as long as the more
    expensive ones but for £34.99 can you complain?

    I did do a google search for reviews before posting but pretty much all of
    the results pointed back to Amazon who are selling the player. Reviews on
    amazon have been very good and it is currently their number 1 seller however
    it doesn't list the specific formats it supports and unfortunately the site
    you provided doesn't seem to list the P818 either but judging by the other
    Daytek makes I would expect the player to support the same.
    Moo, May 6, 2004
  4. Moo

    Biz Guest

    "Moo" <> wrote in message

    > "Biz" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Moo" <> wrote in message
    > > > Hello!
    > > >
    > > > Can anyone confirm some details for the Daytek P818

    (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000AM9G5/ref=cm_mp_wli_/202-0420
    > > > 285-9305440?coliid=I23N81RH9PSTPU) please, it is only £34.99 from

    Amazon
    > > and
    > > > I am tempted by it to replace my failing Phillips 723 player.
    > > >
    > > > Does it support (S)VCD, DVD +/-R, MP3 etc?
    > > >
    > > > People who have or have used this machine, what are your opinions of

    it?
    > > Is
    > > > it a good machine, easy to use, nice easy to read menus etc. How are

    > the
    > > > subtitles?
    > > >
    > > > Have you had any problems playing DVDs, any refused to play or thrown

    > > > wobbly (i.e. such as when Terminator 2 came out and a lot of players

    > fell
    > > > over at the multi-branching).
    > > >
    > > > Finally, how good is the remote, easy to use, is it going to fall

    apart
    > in
    > > > six months etc?
    > > >
    > > > Many thanks for any assistance provide!
    > > >
    > > > Moo
    > > >

    > > The adage you get what you pay for isnt just BS you know.

    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDname=daytek&Submit=Search&Search=
    > > Search&country=&orderby=Name
    > >
    > > ANd here:

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=daytek P818 revie
    > > ws&btnG=Search
    > >

    > Thanks for your reply.
    >
    > I understand that 'you-get-what-you-pay-for' but I am a bit short of cash

    at
    > the mo and from what I have told the cheaper players nowadays are, from a
    > specs POV not much different from the more expensive varieties, sure they
    > don't have as many features or probably won't last as long as the more
    > expensive ones but for £34.99 can you complain?
    >
    > I did do a google search for reviews before posting but pretty much all of
    > the results pointed back to Amazon who are selling the player. Reviews on
    > amazon have been very good and it is currently their number 1 seller

    however
    > it doesn't list the specific formats it supports and unfortunately the

    site
    > you provided doesn't seem to list the P818 either but judging by the other
    > Daytek makes I would expect the player to support the same.

    The cheap eastern made players, typically play the most formats, are
    extremely hit or miss on reliability, and typically dont play anything very
    well. One of your points was something that wont fall apart in six months.
    You cant rely on these cheap players to do that. you could get lucky, but
    its your money. When you could get a name brand player like Toshiba,
    Panasonic, or Pioneer for around $75, it just IMO doesnt make sense to buy
    suspect brands because they are so cheap.
    Biz, May 7, 2004
  5. Moo

    Moo Guest

    "Biz" <> wrote in message

    > "Moo" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Biz" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Moo" <> wrote in message

    (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000AM9G5/ref=cm_mp_wli_/202-0420

    > Amazon
    > > > and

    > it?
    > > > Is

    are
    > > the

    thrown

    > > fell

    > apart
    > > in

    > > > The adage you get what you pay for isnt just BS you know.

    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDname=daytek&Submit=Search&Search=
    > > > Search&country=&orderby=Name
    > > >
    > > > ANd here:

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=daytek P818 revie
    > > > ws&btnG=Search
    > > >

    > > Thanks for your reply.
    > >
    > > I understand that 'you-get-what-you-pay-for' but I am a bit short of

    cash
    > at
    > > the mo and from what I have told the cheaper players nowadays are, from

    > > specs POV not much different from the more expensive varieties, sure

    they
    > > don't have as many features or probably won't last as long as the more
    > > expensive ones but for £34.99 can you complain?
    > >
    > > I did do a google search for reviews before posting but pretty much all

    of
    > > the results pointed back to Amazon who are selling the player. Reviews

    on
    > > amazon have been very good and it is currently their number 1 seller

    > however
    > > it doesn't list the specific formats it supports and unfortunately the

    > site
    > > you provided doesn't seem to list the P818 either but judging by the

    other
    > > Daytek makes I would expect the player to support the same.
    > >

    > The cheap eastern made players, typically play the most formats, are
    > extremely hit or miss on reliability, and typically dont play anything

    very
    > well. One of your points was something that wont fall apart in six

    months.
    > You cant rely on these cheap players to do that. you could get lucky, but
    > its your money. When you could get a name brand player like Toshiba,
    > Panasonic, or Pioneer for around $75, it just IMO doesnt make sense to buy
    > suspect brands because they are so cheap.

    The Daytek player is a Daewoo one rebadged and repriced. I have spoken to
    another guy who has purchased one and he said it is great. I think for
    £34.99 I can't really complain so I might as well give it a go!
    Moo, May 7, 2004