    -Toby, who...
    field to circumvent my email filters.
    Ignore any mail delivery error.
    Toby Newman, Feb 10, 2006

  2. Toby Newman

    Kenny Guest

    That's the same one I bought, from same place, and assumed it already is
    region free although I don't have any other region discs to try.

    --
    Kenny Cargill

    Kenny, Feb 11, 2006

  3. Toby Newman

    Biz Guest

    Where exactly does it say region free? The only thing I can see is
    multi-region, which could mean only 2 regions, but which 2 could be the
    question. If you look closely it says its compatible with multi-region
    disks, so maybe thats how they are claiming its a multi-region player.
    Contact Daytek tech support....or quit buying cheap crap and stick with
    known name brands....

    ;)

    Biz, Feb 11, 2006
  4. Toby Newman

    Toby Newman Guest

    On 2006-02-11, Biz <> wrote:
    > "Toby Newman" <> wrote in message
    >> I recently bought two DVD players from Amazon ('Daytek DVD-868V80S
    >> Multi Region DVD Player with DIVX Playback').
    >>

    > http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009V9ACO/203-5995136-1202317?_encoding=UTF8
    >>
    >> They're plainly advertised as being region free, but putting a region 4
    >> disc in today greeted me with a "WRONG REGION" error!
    >>
    >> Do I have to enter a special code to enable the region-free? Does anyone
    >> have any idea where I can find the special code? The DVD player is not
    >> listed on http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks
    >>
    >> If you have any clue that can help me get to the bottom of this, please
    >> reply!
    >>

    > Where exactly does it say region free? The only thing I can see is
    > multi-region, which could mean only 2 regions, but which 2 could be
    > the
    > question. If you look closely it says its compatible with
    > multi-region
    > disks, so maybe thats how they are claiming its a multi-region player.
    > Contact Daytek tech support....or quit buying cheap crap and stick
    > with
    > known name brands....
    >
    > ;)

    Well, to be fair, Amazon use the phrase 'Multi Region' all over their
    site to denote region free DVD players.

    I honestly expected 'cheap crap' to be more compatible (why the hell
    would, say, sony want you to play their discs in the wrong region or
    watch divXs of their films?)

    Get a name-brand, you say? I was under the impression that Daytek was
    part of Daewoo, but perhaps I was wrong.

    There is a *Philips* DVD player that is also described as 'Multi Region'
    and has the region unlocking information linked on it's page:

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00096J3HG/ref=br_lf_li_1_2/203-5995136-1202317

    I'll see if I can get Amazon to do a swap.

    It's such a shame to have to send this DVD player back... especially
    since I bought two of them, I no longer have the boxes, and I really
    need a region free player.

    Toby Newman, Feb 11, 2006
  5. Toby Newman

    Biz Guest

    Call Daytek tech support like I also recommended in my 1st post....if you
    recently bought them, why would you have thrown away the boxes already?
    That will make any returns or exchanges very difficult due to the missing
    original packaging that pretty much every store on the planet requires for
    returns/exchanges.....

    Biz, Feb 11, 2006
  6. Toby Newman

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Toby Newman wrote:
    > I recently bought two DVD players from Amazon ('Daytek DVD-868V80S
    > Multi Region DVD Player with DIVX Playback').
    > http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009V9ACO/203-5995136-1202317?_encoding=UTF8
    >
    > They're plainly advertised as being region free, but putting a region 4
    > disc in today greeted me with a "WRONG REGION" error!
    >
    > Do I have to enter a special code to enable the region-free? Does anyone
    > have any idea where I can find the special code? The DVD player is not
    > listed on http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks
    >
    > If you have any clue that can help me get to the bottom of this, please
    > reply!

    They very well could be region free, but still refuse to play RPC2
    encoded discs, which require the player to be switched to the
    appropriate region.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus