Day of woe, must get a laptop.

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Michael Swift, Mar 28, 2008.

  1. Desktop in small bedroom upstairs, Virgin Media cable modem connected to
    Netgear router downstairs, wireless connection working well, until.....

    #3 son arrives to borrow my printer, my printer is USB so it would be
    easy to swap the cable to his laptop, he has access to my router for
    interweb, but NO, we have to be clever and set up a wireless network so
    he can print via my desktop.

    90 minutes latter we accept we're not clever enough to set it up so he
    uses the sensible option and swaps the USB cable.

    He beggers off home and I have to re-boot, no wireless, fiddle about an
    hour and still nothing.

    Hump the monitor and box downstairs and connect via cable, get things
    working O.K., test wireless, hump everything back upstairs, all works
    well.

    I now ache, not as young as I used to be, my innards are in disarray in
    case I've fried the router.

    Moral of this post.

    Always take the easy option.
    Get a bloody laptop.
    Stuff wireless.

    Mike

    Yorkshire Halvard Lange

    Michael Swift, Mar 28, 2008

  2. Hi
    There is Nothing need to be done to a Wireless connection per-se in order to
    share a printer.
    Sharing Files or printer is matter of configuring sharing and it is
    independent from the other Network setting.
    I.e you probably changed some thing in the Wireless setting that created a
    problem.
    May be this can Help.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Mar 28, 2008

  3. In article <>, Jack (MVP-
    Networking). <> writes
    >Hi
    >There is Nothing need to be done to a Wireless connection per-se in
    >order to share a printer.
    >Sharing Files or printer is matter of configuring sharing and it is
    >independent from the other Network setting.
    >I.e you probably changed some thing in the Wireless setting that created
    >a problem.
    >May be this can Help.
    >My Wireless does not work - http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    >Wireless Basic Configuration - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
    >Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    >Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Many thanks, more or less what we thought, we just couldn't get anything
    to work, ah well.

    Mike

    Yorkshire Halvard Lange

    Michael Swift, Mar 28, 2008
  4. Michael Swift

    smlunatick Guest

    On Mar 28, 6:57 am, Michael Swift <> wrote:
    > In article <>, Jack (MVP-
    > Networking). <> writes
    >
    > >Hi
    > >There is Nothing need to be done to a Wireless connection per-se in
    > >order to share a printer.
    > >Sharing Files or printer is matter of configuring sharing and it is
    > >independent from the other Network setting.
    > >I.e you probably changed some thing in the Wireless setting that created
    > >a problem.
    > >May be this can Help.
    > >My  Wireless does not work -http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    > >Wireless Basic Configuration -http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
    > >Wireless Security -  http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    > >Jack (MVP-Networking).

    > Many thanks, more or less what we thought, we just couldn't get anything
    > to work, ah well.
    >
    > Mike
    >
    > --
    > Michael Swift           We do not regard Englishmen as foreigners.
    > Kirkheaton              We look on them only as rather mad Norwegians.
    > Yorkshire                                       Halvard Lange

    Network sharing of files / printers, you need to permit this type of
    traffic thorough the firewall software (including SP2's firewall) and
    have the anti-virus Internet worm blocking module to permit LAN
    traffic (NetBios over TCP/IP.)

    smlunatick, Mar 28, 2008