    can tell image info is missing on all four sides which really constricts
    the picture in a lot of scenes. At laest it appears to be the extended cut.

    T.B.

    TB, May 26, 2004

  2. TB

    Mark B. Guest

    "TB" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I haven't read anything here about the "Day After" dvd release and just
    > picked it up over the weekend. Why did MGM issue it as a zoom-boxed
    > fullscreen version? When it's compared to the widescreen laserdisc, you
    > can tell image info is missing on all four sides which really constricts
    > the picture in a lot of scenes. At laest it appears to be the extended

    cut.

    > T.B.

    Wasn't this originally a TV movie, in which case 4:3 would be correct?

    Mark

    Mark B., May 27, 2004

  3. TB

    TB Guest

    Mark B. wrote:
    > "TB" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I haven't read anything here about the "Day After" dvd release and just
    >>picked it up over the weekend. Why did MGM issue it as a zoom-boxed
    >>fullscreen version? When it's compared to the widescreen laserdisc, you
    >>can tell image info is missing on all four sides which really constricts
    >>the picture in a lot of scenes. At laest it appears to be the extended

    > cut.
    >
    >>T.B.

    > Wasn't this originally a TV movie, in which case 4:3 would be correct?

    Yes, but it featured a *lot* more picture information on all four sides
    then the current release which appears to have been matted from the
    widescreen version released theatrically in Europe which exposed a
    little more info on the sides then the original broadcast tv version.

    T.B.

    TB, May 27, 2004
  4. TB

    Non Guest

    On Wed, 26 May 2004 20:01:32 GMT, TB <>
    wrote:

    >I haven't read anything here about the "Day After" dvd release and just
    >picked it up over the weekend. Why did MGM issue it as a zoom-boxed
    >fullscreen version? When it's compared to the widescreen laserdisc, you
    >can tell image info is missing on all four sides which really constricts
    >the picture in a lot of scenes. At laest it appears to be the extended cut.
    >
    >T.B.

    My laserdisk is fullscreen.

    Non, May 28, 2004
  5. TB

    Dave Garrett Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Wed, 26 May 2004 20:01:32 GMT, TB <>
    > wrote:

    > >I haven't read anything here about the "Day After" dvd release and just
    > >picked it up over the weekend. Why did MGM issue it as a zoom-boxed
    > >fullscreen version? When it's compared to the widescreen laserdisc, you
    > >can tell image info is missing on all four sides which really constricts
    > >the picture in a lot of scenes. At laest it appears to be the extended cut.
    > >
    > >T.B.

    > My laserdisk is fullscreen.

    You have the older LD. There was a later, remastered one that was
    widescreen.

    Dave

    Dave Garrett, May 28, 2004
  6. TB

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Dave Garrett wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> On Wed, 26 May 2004 20:01:32 GMT, TB <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> I haven't read anything here about the "Day After" dvd release and
    >>> just picked it up over the weekend. Why did MGM issue it as a
    >>> zoom-boxed fullscreen version? When it's compared to the widescreen
    >>> laserdisc, you can tell image info is missing on all four sides
    >>> which really constricts the picture in a lot of scenes. At laest it
    >>> appears to be the extended cut.
    >>>
    >>> T.B.

    >> My laserdisk is fullscreen.

    > You have the older LD. There was a later, remastered one that was
    > widescreen.

    Am I thinking of the same movie? This was a made-for-TV movie, wasn't it?

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, May 28, 2004
  7. TB

    TB Guest

    Mike Kohary wrote:
    > Dave Garrett wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>,
    >>says...

    >>>My laserdisk is fullscreen.

    >>You have the older LD. There was a later, remastered one that was
    >>widescreen.

    > Am I thinking of the same movie? This was a made-for-TV movie, wasn't it?

    Yes, it was originally premiered on tv cropped for fullscreen in the US
    but it was shown theatrically letterboxed with a much better picture
    composition and an additional 17 minutes worth of footage in Europe.

    T.B.

    TB, May 28, 2004
  8. TB

    Mike Kohary Guest

    TB wrote:
    > Mike Kohary wrote:
    >>
    >> Am I thinking of the same movie? This was a made-for-TV movie,
    >> wasn't it?

    > Yes, it was originally premiered on tv cropped for fullscreen in the
    > US but it was shown theatrically letterboxed with a much better
    > picture composition and an additional 17 minutes worth of footage in
    > Europe.

    Was it cropped for TV, or matted for the theater? How do you know for sure?

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, May 29, 2004
  9. TB

    TB Guest

    Mike Kohary wrote:
    > TB wrote:
    >
    >>Mike Kohary wrote:
    >>
    >>>Am I thinking of the same movie? This was a made-for-TV movie,
    >>>wasn't it?

    >>Yes, it was originally premiered on tv cropped for fullscreen in the
    >>US but it was shown theatrically letterboxed with a much better
    >>picture composition and an additional 17 minutes worth of footage in
    >>Europe.

    > Was it cropped for TV, or matted for the theater? How do you know for sure?

    By comparing the first issue of this movie on laserdisc which was
    fullscreen, to the remastered, extended version on laserdisc to the just
    released dvd. I have all three releases. I picked up both laserdisc
    versions over the last few years used for only a few bucks each.

    T.B.

    TB, May 29, 2004
  10. TB

    Mike Kohary Guest

    TB wrote:
    > Mike Kohary wrote:
    >> TB wrote:

    >>> Yes, it was originally premiered on tv cropped for fullscreen in the
    >>> US but it was shown theatrically letterboxed with a much better
    >>> picture composition and an additional 17 minutes worth of footage in
    >>> Europe.

    >> Was it cropped for TV, or matted for the theater? How do you know
    >> for sure?

    > By comparing the first issue of this movie on laserdisc which was
    > fullscreen, to the remastered, extended version on laserdisc to the
    > just released dvd. I have all three releases. I picked up both
    > laserdisc versions over the last few years used for only a few bucks
    > each.
    >
    > T.B.

    How confusing. :( So, the remastered extended widescreen laserdisc
    presents the most picture, with the first laserdisc being cropped from that,
    and the new DVD being cropped to letterbox from the first laserdisc?

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, May 29, 2004
  11. TB

    TB Guest

    Mike Kohary wrote:

    (snip)

    > How confusing. :( So, the remastered extended widescreen laserdisc
    > presents the most picture, with the first laserdisc being cropped from that,
    > and the new DVD being cropped to letterbox from the first laserdisc?

    Not quite. The new dvd appears to be cropped to *fullscreen* from the
    letterboxed version. In all fairness, the image on the dvd is cleaner
    and sharper then the previous laserdisc releases, but I'd say that about
    30% of the picture information is missing off the sides on the dvd due
    to the cropping.

    T.B.

    TB, May 30, 2004
  12. TB

    Rich Clark Guest

    "TB" <> wrote in message
    > Mike Kohary wrote:
    >
    > (snip)
    >
    > > How confusing. :( So, the remastered extended widescreen laserdisc
    > > presents the most picture, with the first laserdisc being cropped from

    that,
    > > and the new DVD being cropped to letterbox from the first laserdisc?

    > Not quite. The new dvd appears to be cropped to *fullscreen* from the
    > letterboxed version. In all fairness, the image on the dvd is cleaner
    > and sharper then the previous laserdisc releases, but I'd say that about
    > 30% of the picture information is missing off the sides on the dvd due
    > to the cropping.

    I'm confused.

    The film was almost certainly shot in flat 35mm, so the original frame was
    basically 4:3. Normally 1.85 or 1.66 version would be created by matting the
    top and bottom of this frame, as we all know.

    Are you all saying that the DVD took that matted version, and further
    cropped the sides to create a new fullscreen version? And that therefore the
    DVD is cropped on *all four sides* compared to the original (TV/35mm)
    version?

    That's insane. I can understand that maybe the only print or negative of the
    "extended" cut they could find is the matted version, since that was never
    intended to be shown any other way. But not to release that widescreen,
    extended cut as a widescreen anamorphic DVD is just brain-dead.

    Are you guys absolutely sure the new DVD crops the original 35mm frame on
    all four sides?

    RichC

    Rich Clark, May 30, 2004
  13. TB

    Smaug69 Guest

    TB <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Mike Kohary wrote:
    >
    > (snip)
    >
    > > How confusing. :( So, the remastered extended widescreen laserdisc
    > > presents the most picture, with the first laserdisc being cropped from that,
    > > and the new DVD being cropped to letterbox from the first laserdisc?

    > Not quite. The new dvd appears to be cropped to *fullscreen* from the
    > letterboxed version. In all fairness, the image on the dvd is cleaner
    > and sharper then the previous laserdisc releases, but I'd say that about
    > 30% of the picture information is missing off the sides on the dvd due
    > to the cropping.

    The Day After was shot in 4:3 so I have no idea what you are talking
    about. Any widescreen version would have to be matted from 4:3 and
    would thus lose picture information.

    Smaug69

    Smaug69, Jun 1, 2004
  14. TB

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Smaug69 wrote:
    > TB <> wrote in message
    >> Mike Kohary wrote:
    >>
    >> (snip)
    >>
    >>> How confusing. :( So, the remastered extended widescreen laserdisc
    >>> presents the most picture, with the first laserdisc being cropped
    >>> from that, and the new DVD being cropped to letterbox from the
    >>> first laserdisc?

    >> Not quite. The new dvd appears to be cropped to *fullscreen* from the
    >> letterboxed version. In all fairness, the image on the dvd is
    >> cleaner and sharper then the previous laserdisc releases, but I'd
    >> say that about 30% of the picture information is missing off the
    >> sides on the dvd due to the cropping.

    > The Day After was shot in 4:3 so I have no idea what you are talking
    > about. Any widescreen version would have to be matted from 4:3 and
    > would thus lose picture information.
    >
    > Smaug69

    Any which way, if this information is at all correct, the DVD is apparently
    formatted incorrectly. He's comparing laserdisc versions that apparently
    present more image than the current full-screen DVD.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Jun 3, 2004
  15. TB

    Smaug69 Guest

    "Mike Kohary" <> wrote in message news:<c9nhgv$58e$>...

    <snip>

    > > The Day After was shot in 4:3 so I have no idea what you are talking
    > > about. Any widescreen version would have to be matted from 4:3 and
    > > would thus lose picture information.
    > >
    > > Smaug69

    > Any which way, if this information is at all correct, the DVD is apparently
    > formatted incorrectly. He's comparing laserdisc versions that apparently
    > present more image than the current full-screen DVD.

    Well, if the laserdisc is a widescreen version and the DVD is a
    cropping from that widescreen version then am I to believe that the
    only OAR version on home video is on...gasp...VHS? lol. That's some
    kind of twisted Lucasian nightmare scenario.

    Smaug69

    Smaug69, Jun 4, 2004