Dawn Of Internet Video, REVENGE of Time Warner Cable!

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Derek Currie, Jan 18, 2008.

  1. Derek Currie

    Derek Currie Guest

    Welcome to the new age of Internet video downloading and
    streaming!

    The arrival of this new age was heralded by the fact that Apple's
    iTunes Store now sells more videos than there are sales of either
    Blu-ray DVDs or HD-DVDs. (BTW: I predict HD-DVD will be stone
    cold dead by the end of 2008).

    As of this week you can now even RENT high definition quality
    (720p) video over the Internet via the Apple iTunes Store.

    So get this:

    Time Warner Cable has decided to WREAK REVENGE!

    As reported by the New York Times on Thursday:

    Time Warner: Download Too Much and You Might Pay $30 a Movie
    By SAUL HANSELL
    January 17, 2008,  4:47 pm

    <http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/17/time-warner-download-too
    -much-and-you-might-pay-30-a-movie/index.html?ex=1201323600&en=d25
    14f2955800d0d&ei=5043&partner=EXCITE>

    > Let¹s say you buy a new Apple TV because you want to rent high-definition
    > movies. And say you are about to move to Beaumont, Tex. If so, you might wind
    > up paying Time Warner Cable as much as $30 when you download a movie using
    > its high-speed Internet service.
    >
    > Time Warner said on Wednesday that it was going to start testing a new rate
    > plan in Beaumont that would limit the amount of bandwidth each customer can
    > use each month before additional fees kick in. Alexander Dudley, a Time
    > Warner spokesman, said that the exact terms had not been set, but that
    > packages would probably offer between 5 gigabytes and 40 gigabytes a month.
    > The top plan would cost roughly the same as the company¹s highest-speed
    > service, which typically runs between $50 and $60 a month.

    Obviously this is a test LEAD BALLOON being let loose in poor
    little old Texas in order to see if they can pull a con-job on
    the entire USA.

    From the article:

    > Moreover, the marginal cost of extra bandwidth is very small, he said. For
    > broadband Internet service, 80 percent to 90 percent of the costs are fixed
    > regardless of use. And the all-in cost of a gigabyte of use is about 10 cents
    > or less.

    Again, it costs Time Warner 10¢ for every GB you download.
    Therefore, they intend to charge you something similar to what
    Bell Canada already perpetrate upon their customers: $7.42 per GB
    when you go beyond the LIMIT of your purchased monthly download
    plan. The plans are expected to have a peak allowed download
    bandwidth per month of 40 GB per month.

    You can go into shock now.

    Now listen to the insincere, insulting, scurrilous, arrogant,
    patronizing... (you get the idea), marketing moron SPIN Time
    Warner Cable are puking forth upon their customers about this
    swindle:

    Alexander Dudley of Time Warner sez:
    > ³This is not targeted at people who download movies from Apple....
    > This is aimed at people who use peer-to-peer networks and download
    > terabytes.²
    >
    > . . .
    >
    > ³A big part of what we are doing is to test customer feedback.... We want our
    > customers to feel like they are getting a good value.²

    GOOD VALUE? WTF? HAHAHAHAHAHA!

    10¢ worth of downloads = $7.42 (guestimate) of EXTRA charges from
    Time Warner Cable.

    Yeah right. I'll bend over for that, NOT.

    Fine, Time Warner want to gouge you hard and deep for using extra
    bandwidth. But what ELSE is going on here?

    A) Time Warner, and other company's, attempts at destroying NET
    NEUTRALITY have totally failed. They want REVENGE.

    B) Digital downloading of media over the Internet is taking away
    customers from Time Warner's digital cable TV feed business. They
    want REVENGE.

    It's called ANTI-COMPETITIVE BEHAVIOR. You know, like what
    Microsoft always does when they run over competitors like a steam
    roller?

    Fact: When you remove competition from business endeavors you
    eliminate the incentive to INNOVATE. Again, think of Microsoft.

    RESULT: Time Warner Cable want to throw us into the Internet DARK
    AGES for the purpose of their own profit. This is one company
    attempting to pillage an entire Internet industry because they
    don't happen to like how it affects their business.

    It's called MONOPOLY behavior. It's called ILLEGAL.

    *** How to tell Time Warner to stuff their greed ridden revenge
    tactic:

    Call, Fax, write or email Time Warner Cable letting them know
    that if they pull this con-job on you in YOUR part of the USA
    then you will respond by DUMPING their service for a superior
    alternative, DAMMIT.

    A) The players to contact:

    1) Glenn A. Britt, President and CEO of TWC:
    <http://www.timewarnercable.com/corporate/aboutus/executivemanagem
    entteam/gb.html>

    2) Landel C. Hobbs, Chief Operating Officer:
    <http://www.timewarnercable.com/corporate/aboutus/executivemanagem
    entteam/lh.html>

    3) Robert D. Marcus, Senior Executive Vice President:
    <http://www.timewarnercable.com/corporate/aboutus/executivemanagem
    entteam/rm.html>

    4) Joan Gillman, Executive Vice President and President, Time
    Warner Cable Media Sales
    <http://www.timewarnercable.com/corporate/aboutus/management.html>

    5) Same Howe, Executive Vice President & Chief Marketing Officer
    <http://www.timewarnercable.com/corporate/aboutus/management.html>

    6) Regional Executive Vice Presidents of Operations:

    a) Wayne D. Knighton, Texas Region (aka Chief of this con-job
    test)

    b) Terry O'Connell, Midwest Region

    c) Barry S. Rosenblum, New York City and Southern California
    Region

    d) Carol A. Hevey, Carolina Region

    e) William R. Goetz Jr., West and New England Region

    <http://www.timewarnercable.com/corporate/aboutus/management.html>

    Other members of Executive Management are listed at the same URL
    above.

    7) Board of Directors:
    <http://ir.timewarnercable.com/directors.cfm>

    B) HOW TO CONTACT TIME WARNER CABLE:

    1) Shareholder Services / Investor Relations (if you own stock in
    Time Warner):
    <http://ir.timewarnercable.com/contactus.cfm>

    877-4-INFO-TWC

    2) Time Warner Cable corporate address, where you can write to
    ANY of the Executive Officers or the Board of Directors:

    Time Warner Cable
    [C/O Whomever]
    290 Harbor Drive
    Stamford, CT 06902-8700
    203-328-0600

    3) Look up and contact your local Customer Service:
    <http://www.timewarnercable.com/Corporate/CustomerService/>

    * Example:

    You are one of the victims living in Beaumont, Texas. Your zip
    code may be 77701. Go to the Customer Service lookup page:
    <http://www.timewarnercable.com/Localization/Corporate.ashx?tid=21

    Enter your Zip Code: 77701, hit Enter or the GO button.
    You are taken to the site for the Golden Triangle region of TWC.
    <http://www.timewarnercable.com/GoldenTriangle/>

    The web page for this particular region (don't expect the same
    interface at each region) requires you to hit the link at the top
    for 'Customer Service' where you can pick "Contact Us".

    Scroll down that page and you will find:

    Main Office: 800-222-5355
    Hours: M-F 8 AM - 9 PM

    TWC Local Offices:

    Time Warner Cable
    602 N. Highway 69
    Nederland, TX 77627
    Fax: 409-727-5050

    Time Warner Cable
    5330 Twin City Highway
    Port Arthur, TX 77640
    M-F: 8 am - 5:30 pm

    If we don't act on this crime against the Internet then it will
    SPREAD. Time Warner Cable will pull this con-job across the
    entire USA. And obviously the same con-job will SPREAD to other
    companies such as Comcast. Result: The Internet Video/TV industry
    comes to a crashing halt. Time Warner Cable and the other cable
    monopolies stop stamping their little feet in anger. Instead they
    get to sit back and rake in ill-gotten gains from customers who
    are forced to get their digital media from their cable TV service.

    Keep the Internet SANE, NEUTRAL and FREE OF CRIMINAL CORPORATIONS!

    Contact Time Warner Cable ASAP please and stop this revenge
    tactic dead in its tracks before we all suffer the consequences.

    Share and Enjoy,

    :-Derek Currie

    --
    Fortune Magazine 11-29-05: What's your computer setup today?
    Frederick Brooks: I happily use a Macintosh. It's not been
    Derek Currie, Jan 18, 2008

  2. On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 09:25:04 -0500, Derek Currie
    <> wrote:

    >Welcome to the new age of Internet video downloading and
    >streaming!
    >
    >The arrival of this new age was heralded by the fact that Apple's
    >iTunes Store now sells more videos than there are sales of either
    >Blu-ray DVDs or HD-DVDs. (BTW: I predict HD-DVD will be stone
    >cold dead by the end of 2008).

    You're a goddamned idiot, AND a cross-posting Usenet RETARD as well!

    >As of this week you can now even RENT high definition quality
    >(720p) video over the Internet via the Apple iTunes Store.

    Oh boy, Low res horseshit! with low quality sound.

    Have at it, dumbfucktard!

    >So get this:
    >
    >Time Warner Cable has decided to WREAK REVENGE!

    Are you aware that TW does NOT own all the cable cos in this country,
    idiot?

    snip

    >Obviously

    Obviously, you are a goddamned retard.

    Snipped more retarded horseshit.

    >You can go into shock now.

    Actually, I can go into hysterics, laughing at your retarded ass.

    snipped more retarded CRAP.

    >Fact:

    FACT: You're a goddamned retard!

    Grow the **** up, you retarded bastard.
    StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt, Jan 19, 2008

  3. Derek Currie

    Tim Smith Guest

    In article
    <-state.edu>,
    Derek Currie <> wrote:
    > As of this week you can now even RENT high definition quality
    > (720p) video over the Internet via the Apple iTunes Store.

    It's arguable whether or not it is HD, given the low bitrate and high
    compression, compared to, say, Blu-Ray or HD-DVD.

    --
    --Tim Smith
    Tim Smith, Jan 19, 2008
  4. On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 18:23:22 -0800, Tim Smith
    <> wrote:

    >In article
    ><-state.edu>,
    > Derek Currie <> wrote:
    >> As of this week you can now even RENT high definition quality
    >> (720p) video over the Internet via the Apple iTunes Store.

    >It's arguable whether or not it is HD, given the low bitrate and high
    >compression, compared to, say, Blu-Ray or HD-DVD.

    I'd bet that Amazon Unbox is cheaper too, and half the time I ever got
    an Unbox flic, they discounted the published price for me, because I buy
    so much from them.

    And yes the compression rate alone should be enough that some
    organization out there should make it illegal for them to call it High
    Definition, because it most certainly is NOT.
    ChairmanOfTheBored, Jan 19, 2008
  5. Derek Currie

    Doug Jacobs Guest

    In alt.video.dvd StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt <> wrote:
    > You're a goddamned idiot, AND a cross-posting Usenet RETARD as well!

    Stop morphing already. I swear, you and your morphs account for over half
    of my twit list.

    --
    It's not broken. It's...advanced.
    Doug Jacobs, Jan 21, 2008