DAW - question about IRQs and production quality sound cards

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by jeff, May 15, 2005.

  1. jeff

    jeff Guest

    I built a Digital Audio Workstation this weekend with a Delta44 sound
    card.

    After installing windows I checked the IRQs and it put the Delta44 on
    IRQ 19. wtf, I thought there were only 15. There are a minimum
    amount of devices plugged into this PC to keep it streamlined, only
    system stuff is taking IRQs (besides the Video and Sound cards).

    Anyway, IRQ 5 & 7 are free, they aren't listed, so I assume there's
    nothing on them.

    How do I change the IRQ from 19 to 5 with XP Home SP2. I tried in
    device manager but its all greyed out.

    Will anything get messed up? Its a gigabyte motherboard, is that
    something special the VIA Bios does? (sticking an Audio Card on IRQ
    19). Im under the impression that a lower IRQ would have more
    'priority' or something. The previous install had the Delta on IRQ 7.

    I want the sound card on its OWN IRQ, it is right now, nothing else is
    listed on 19, but as I mentioned I've read/heard that a lower IRQ is
    better.

    thank you!
    jeff, May 15, 2005

  2. jeff

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "jeff" <> wrote in message
    >I built a Digital Audio Workstation this weekend with a Delta44 sound
    > card.
    >
    > After installing windows I checked the IRQs and it put the Delta44 on
    > IRQ 19. wtf, I thought there were only 15. There are a minimum
    > amount of devices plugged into this PC to keep it streamlined, only
    > system stuff is taking IRQs (besides the Video and Sound cards).
    >
    > Anyway, IRQ 5 & 7 are free, they aren't listed, so I assume there's
    > nothing on them.
    >
    > How do I change the IRQ from 19 to 5 with XP Home SP2. I tried in
    > device manager but its all greyed out.
    >
    > Will anything get messed up? Its a gigabyte motherboard, is that
    > something special the VIA Bios does? (sticking an Audio Card on IRQ
    > 19). Im under the impression that a lower IRQ would have more
    > 'priority' or something. The previous install had the Delta on IRQ 7.
    >
    > I want the sound card on its OWN IRQ, it is right now, nothing else is
    > listed on 19, but as I mentioned I've read/heard that a lower IRQ is
    > better.
    >
    > thank you!

    There is no difference in priority in IRQs. If it works, leave it alown.
    Toolman Tim, May 15, 2005

  3. jeff

    pcbutts1 Guest

    WOW where have you been and how long has it been since last built a system.
    Read this

    pcbutts1, May 15, 2005