    will also make sure there put back the footage cut by TV and finish some of the
    effects (like the blue eyes)
    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/index.html#mytwocents
    TOM RICCI, Feb 4, 2005

  2. TOM RICCI

    unclejr Guest

    TOM RICCI wrote:
    > Well finally region 1 is to see the extended version of Dune that TV
    > ran on May 10, and it will be out for the first time in widescreen,
    > Hopefully Universal will also make sure there put back the footage
    > cut by TV and finish some of the effects (like the blue eyes)
    > http://www.thedigitalbits.com/index.html#mytwocents

    Don't you mean the "Alan Smithee" version of Dune? ;-) Frankly, I'm
    amazed that Mr. Lynch has agreed to let the TV extended version go to
    legitimate home video. I always thought that he hated this version...

    -Junior
    unclejr, Feb 4, 2005

  3. TOM RICCI

    Ian W. Hill Guest

    >Don't you mean the "Alan Smithee" version of Dune? ;-) Frankly, I'm
    >amazed that Mr. Lynch has agreed to let the TV extended version go to
    >legitimate home video. I always thought that he hated this version...

    He does. And he isn't fond of the theatrical cut so much, either (he has
    talked about it, briefly, in chats on his website). But he doesn't have any
    rights regarding this film, apart from taking his name off the extended cut as
    writer and director.

    restore my patriotism to reply
    Ian W. Hill, Feb 4, 2005
  4. TOM RICCI

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "unclejr" <> wrote in message
    > Frankly, I'm
    > amazed that Mr. Lynch has agreed to let the TV extended version go to
    > legitimate home video. I always thought that he hated this version...

    He doesn't care one way or the other. He disowned the film years ago. He
    considers it Universal's movie, not his, and has said that they can do
    whatever they want with it but he won't get involved.
    Joshua Zyber, Feb 4, 2005
  5. TOM RICCI

    napalm68 Guest

    Pretty sad really, as for all the complaints, I find it a pretty fine Lynch
    work.

    napalm68, Feb 5, 2005
  6. TOM RICCI

    WinningerR Guest

    >>>He doesn't care one way or the other. He disowned the film years ago. He
    considers it Universal's movie, not his, and has said that they can do
    whatever they want with it but he won't get involved. <<<

    Not to mention that he couldn't stop Universal from releasing it even if he
    wanted to. Universal owns the film and can do what they like with it. (That's
    how the "extended version" was created in the first place).
    WinningerR, Feb 5, 2005
  7. TOM RICCI

    Nick Guest

    I've got a dodgy r2 version of that extended version - terrible quality.
    Dunno if its worth buying this new one as I have the abovementioned one
    (which I dont watch much anyway) and the new r2 2-disc (which admittedly has
    a very sparse 2nd disc). Going to wait for the reviews of this one...

    Nick, Feb 5, 2005
  8. TOM RICCI

    unclejr Guest

    TOM RICCI wrote:
    > Well finally region 1 is to see the extended version of Dune that TV
    > ran on May 10, and it will be out for the first time in widescreen

    Since the Allan Smithee cut was on TV, my guess is that it won't be WS.

    -Junior
    unclejr, Feb 5, 2005
  9. TOM RICCI

    ShadowRaptor Guest

    "WinningerR" <> wrote in message

    He
    > considers it Universal's movie, not his, and has said that they can do
    > whatever they want with it but he won't get involved. <<<
    >
    > Not to mention that he couldn't stop Universal from releasing it even if

    he
    > wanted to. Universal owns the film and can do what they like with it.

    (That's
    > how the "extended version" was created in the first place).

    The extended version simply adds a little history to the Dune universe at
    the beginning. It's animated, I believe ...
    ShadowRaptor, Feb 5, 2005
  10. TOM RICCI

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "ShadowRaptor" <> wrote in message
    > The extended version simply adds a little history to the Dune universe
    > at
    > the beginning. It's animated, I believe ...

    The TV cut adds cartoon drawings throughout the movie, repeats certain
    shots over and over again, and creates entire new scenes using footage
    from other scenes.
    Joshua Zyber, Feb 5, 2005
  11. TOM RICCI

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    unclejr wrote:
    > TOM RICCI wrote:
    >
    >>Well finally region 1 is to see the extended version of Dune that TV
    >>ran on May 10, and it will be out for the first time in widescreen

    > Since the Allan Smithee cut was on TV, my guess is that it won't be WS.

    Well it may not be, but I've seen it in WS on SciFi channel a few years ago.

    dick
    Dick Sidbury, Feb 5, 2005
  12. ShadowRaptor wrote:

    > The extended version simply adds a little history to the Dune universe at
    > the beginning. It's animated, I believe ...

    Also some extra explanation throughout the movie--
    When Duncan Idaho shows up, for example, a voiceover improves on the
    theatrical movie by telling us who the heck he IS.

    Derek Janssen (but yes, we still get all that dang whispering)
    Derek Janssen, Feb 5, 2005
  13. TOM RICCI

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Dick Sidbury" <> wrote in message
    >> Since the Allan Smithee cut was on TV, my guess is that it won't be
    >> WS.

    > Well it may not be, but I've seen it in WS on SciFi channel a few
    > years ago.

    Not the "Allan Smithee" cut. You may have seen the theatrical cut in
    widescreen, or you may be thinking of the Sci-Fi Channel's own remake
    miniseries, which was widescreen. But the Allan Smithee cut was created
    in the video realm and exists only in 4:3 pan & scan.
    Joshua Zyber, Feb 5, 2005
  14. TOM RICCI

    HungInSI Guest

    The TV version is going to be relleased for the first time on DVD widescreen. I
    enjoyed the version then read the book, I thought Lynch did a grea tjob witht
    the film. Now only hope all the effects will be finished (Fremen eyes) and the
    footage cut by the tv will be restored
    HungInSI, Feb 6, 2005
  15. TOM RICCI

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    Joshua Zyber wrote:
    > "Dick Sidbury" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>>Since the Allan Smithee cut was on TV, my guess is that it won't be
    >>>WS.

    >>Well it may not be, but I've seen it in WS on SciFi channel a few
    >>years ago.

    > Not the "Allan Smithee" cut. You may have seen the theatrical cut in
    > widescreen, or you may be thinking of the Sci-Fi Channel's own remake
    > miniseries, which was widescreen. But the Allan Smithee cut was created
    > in the video realm and exists only in 4:3 pan & scan.

    It wasn't the mini-series. I thought it was the "Smithee" cut but it
    could have been the theatrical version. As I recall it was on late at
    night and I taped it, so I'll look around tomorrow sometime and try to
    find it and see if you're right.

    dick
    Dick Sidbury, Feb 6, 2005
  16. TOM RICCI

    Nick Guest

    If anyone wants to know the exact differences etc between the two versions
    look no further than the excellent book - the Complete Lynch by David
    Hughes.

    Nick, Feb 7, 2005
  17. Joshua Zyber wrote:
    > Not the "Allan Smithee" cut. You may have seen the theatrical cut in
    > widescreen, or you may be thinking of the Sci-Fi Channel's own remake
    > miniseries, which was widescreen. But the Allan Smithee cut was
    > created in the video realm and exists only in 4:3 pan & scan.

    It wouldn't be too hard to hunt down the added footage and do a new
    Widescreen "Allan Smithee" cut. Then again, who knows.

    Brian The Demolition Man Little
    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Feb 11, 2005
  18. TOM RICCI

    TCS Guest

    On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 20:20:50 -0600, Brian The Demolition Man Little <> wrote:
    >Joshua Zyber wrote:
    >> Not the "Allan Smithee" cut. You may have seen the theatrical cut in
    >> widescreen, or you may be thinking of the Sci-Fi Channel's own remake
    >> miniseries, which was widescreen. But the Allan Smithee cut was
    >> created in the video realm and exists only in 4:3 pan & scan.

    >It wouldn't be too hard to hunt down the added footage and do a new
    >Widescreen "Allan Smithee" cut. Then again, who knows.

    It would still stink as long as it ignored the Fremen/Sardaukar similarity,
    and still had the idiotic "wierding modules". A longer version would only
    stink worse.
    TCS, Feb 11, 2005
  19. TOM RICCI

    jayembee Guest

    TCS <> wrote:

    > It would still stink as long as it ignored the Fremen/Sardaukar similarity,
    > and still had the idiotic "wierding modules". A longer version would only
    > stink worse.

    <Smile> That's pretty much the way I always put it: It's just as bad
    as the original, only there's more of it.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Feb 11, 2005