    Surely someone has done this before and knows what I can do. I would
    appreciate your help greatly.
    ~JNJ~
    JNJ, May 30, 2004

  2. JNJ

    Unk Guest

    On Sun, 30 May 2004 15:28:41 -0500, "JNJ" <> wrote:

    >I just bought a computer for my daughter from my neighbor and she was
    >messing with changing the login and password and now neither she or I can
    >figure out what she did. But we are unable to get pass the login screen.
    >Surely someone has done this before and knows what I can do. I would
    >appreciate your help greatly.
    >~JNJ~

    Recover/reset lost passwords:

    Offline NT Password & Registry Editor, Bootdisk / CD

    John the Ripper - http://www.openwall.com/john/

    LC4 - http://www.atstake.com/products/lc/

    SAM Inside - http://www.insidepro.com/eng/saminside.shtml
    Unk, May 30, 2004

  3. JNJ

    Patty Guest

    Get another daughter

    Patty, May 30, 2004
  4. JNJ

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Easier said than done <vvbg>

    Toolman Tim, May 31, 2004
  5. JNJ

    Reid Decker Guest

    Maybe you could press F8 and try to get to administrative services and
    change the password. Or wait for an expert to reply to your post. I may be
    wrong. I think I have done it, but don't remember how.

    Reid Decker, May 31, 2004
  6. JNJ

    Barry OGrady Guest

    "JNJ" <> wrote in message
    > I just bought a computer for my daughter from my neighbor and she was
    > messing with changing the login and password and now neither she or I can
    > figure out what she did. But we are unable to get pass the login screen.
    > Surely someone has done this before and knows what I can do. I would
    > appreciate your help greatly.
    > ~JNJ~

    There are self booting CDs that can be used to remove the admin password.

    -Barry
    ========
    Barry OGrady, May 31, 2004
  7. JNJ

    ProfGene Guest

    You haven't said what system you are running nor which password. In the XP
    login all you have to do is click on the user and it logs in. Now there
    might be some feature where you can add a password to this but it seems you
    can always still enter the computer without going through it but just as a
    different user and which use only matters on the settings which you can
    change to whatever you like as a new user. There is a feature that says
    logout and login as a different user. I have never put in a password but if
    you have that option you should always have more than one account and have
    one without a password for such an emergency. The thing to try now will be
    to restore to an earlier time, that is if the machine will let you restore
    to a time before the fiasco and you do this by pressing f8 as you boot. If
    you are unable to restore to another time before the password was changed
    then you might have to run a system restore and setup again with at least
    two user accounts, one that you never change.

    ProfGene, May 31, 2004
  8. Once upon a time, OK, it really happened on Mon, 31 May 2004 12:41:55
    -0500, "ProfGene" <> claimed the following truncated
    trash was the absolute, fucking truth:

    >You haven't said what system you are running nor which password. In the XP
    >login all you have to do is click on the user and it logs in.

    Do you read subject headers? It says quite plainly Windows 2000. As
    for Windows XP, by default, MS has setup it up for the great unwashed
    masses that XP HE doesn't require a password. You can, however go into
    Control Panel/ Accounts and set it up for a password. You can even set
    it up so it by passes the log on screen. Windows 2000 by default
    requires you to setup a password, even if it's a blank one. You can
    also set it up to bypass a log on screen.

    >Now there
    >might be some feature where you can add a password to this but it seems you
    >can always still enter the computer without going through it but just as a
    >different user and which use only matters on the settings which you can
    >change to whatever you like as a new user.

    You have to log on the PC first through an administrator account to
    set up a new user. If they don't know the password for the old account
    or the administrator account, how the hell are they going to do that?

    >There is a feature that says
    >logout and login as a different user. I have never put in a password but if
    >you have that option you should always have more than one account and have
    >one without a password for such an emergency.

    Yeah, right. This doesn't answer their question on how to enter the
    machine without a password.

    >The thing to try now will be
    >to restore to an earlier time, that is if the machine will let you restore
    >to a time before the fiasco and you do this by pressing f8 as you boot.

    This might or might not work if the thing was running XP BUT IT'S
    RUNNING WINDOWS 2000, which doesn't have a restore feature. I doubt
    even MS, in its infinite stupidity, would allow you to do a restore
    that would change the password for an account, though.

    > If
    >you are unable to restore to another time before the password was changed
    >then you might have to run a system restore and setup again with at least
    >two user accounts, one that you never change.

    They can't change anything if they can't log onto the OS. Here is the
    real answer to the question as to how one can get back on the OS after
    fuxoring up and forgetting my password. You can get on Google and look
    up for a utility that will allow you to change the password to get
    into the system. There are a bunch out there. Look it up for yourself
    since I can't be arsed to do it fo ryou. You're other option is to
    wipe the drive and re-install Windows 2000.

    Dr Harvie Wahl-Banghor

    >"Patty" <> wrote in message
    >> Get another daughter
    >> "JNJ" <> wrote in message
    >> > I just bought a computer for my daughter from my neighbor and she was
    >> > messing with changing the login and password and now neither she or I

    >can
    >> > figure out what she did. But we are unable to get pass the login screen.
    >> > Surely someone has done this before and knows what I can do. I would
    >> > appreciate your help greatly.
    >> > ~JNJ~

    ---

    Zittmutter offers McDougal some oral carnal knowledge in Message-ID: <>
    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, May 31, 2004
  9. JNJ

    JJ Guest

    This information from MS for the OP:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;258289&Product=win2000

    And to quote...

    "If the administrator password is lost, forgotten, or unknown, access to the
    computer may not be obtainable and the operating system may need to be
    reinstalled. "

    Regards,
    John O.

    JJ, Jun 1, 2004
  10. JNJ

    Brian Guest

    "ProfGene" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > You haven't said what system you are running nor which password. In the

    XP
    > login all you have to do is click on the user and it logs in. Now there
    > might be some feature where you can add a password to this but it seems

    you
    > can always still enter the computer without going through it but just as a
    > different user and which use only matters on the settings which you can
    > change to whatever you like as a new user. There is a feature that says
    > logout and login as a different user. I have never put in a password but

    if
    > you have that option you should always have more than one account and have
    > one without a password for such an emergency. The thing to try now will

    be
    > to restore to an earlier time, that is if the machine will let you restore
    > to a time before the fiasco and you do this by pressing f8 as you boot.

    If
    > you are unable to restore to another time before the password was changed
    > then you might have to run a system restore and setup again with at least
    > two user accounts, one that you never change.
    > "Patty" <> wrote in message
    > > Get another daughter
    > > "JNJ" <> wrote in message
    > > > I just bought a computer for my daughter from my neighbor and she was
    > > > messing with changing the login and password and now neither she or I

    > can
    > > > figure out what she did. But we are unable to get pass the login

    screen.
    > > > Surely someone has done this before and knows what I can do. I would
    > > > appreciate your help greatly.
    > > > ~JNJ~

    start with a boot disk... go into C:\winnt\system32\config\ and delete the
    "SAM" file (this only works with fat32 systems) reboot and login as
    "Administrator" no password needed(as you you just deleted it by removing
    the "SAM" file) after this you you can select a new password for the admin
    account and delete your daughters account(aftre saving any files that she
    had).. and create a new account for her..
    Brian, Jun 1, 2004
  11. JNJ

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Mon, 31 May 2004 19:02:54 -0400, "JJ" <> wrote:

    >This information from MS for the OP:
    >
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;258289&Product=win2000
    >
    >And to quote...
    >
    >"If the administrator password is lost, forgotten, or unknown, access to the
    >computer may not be obtainable and the operating system may need to be
    >reinstalled. "

    Or you could boot from a linux CD and remove the admin password.

    >Regards,
    >John O.
    >

    >"Reid Decker" <> wrote in message
    >> Maybe you could press F8 and try to get to administrative services

    >and
    >> change the password. Or wait for an expert to reply to your post. I may

    >be
    >> wrong. I think I have done it, but don't remember how.
    >> "JNJ" <> wrote in message
    >> > I just bought a computer for my daughter from my neighbor and she was
    >> > messing with changing the login and password and now neither she or I

    >can
    >> > figure out what she did. But we are unable to get pass the login screen.
    >> > Surely someone has done this before and knows what I can do. I would
    >> > appreciate your help greatly.
    >> > ~JNJ~

    -Barry
    ========