    after downloading files I have date at properties but I do not see it on the
    pictures.
    What program/properties I have to use for return date to pictures ?

    Jul, Jan 22, 2006

  2. Jul

    Dave Cohen Guest

    "Jul" <> wrote in message
    news:duTAf.353$...
    >I use Canon G5,
    > after downloading files I have date at properties but I do not see it on
    > the
    > pictures.
    > What program/properties I have to use for return date to pictures ?

    I don't know what G5 does, look in manual. My A95 will only optionally put a
    date on postcard shots which as I recall are 1600x1200 mp to print at 4x6.
    Never used the feature.
    Date is always captured in exif data. Of course it's an easy add using
    editing software. Don't know why feature isn't offered for any shot although
    I probably would never use it..
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Jan 23, 2006

  3. "Jul" <> writes:
    >I use Canon G5,
    >after downloading files I have date at properties but I do not see it on the
    >pictures.
    >What program/properties I have to use for return date to pictures ?

    The data is stored in the EXIF data header, along with many other
    interesting bits of info. Many image viewing programs will show you the
    data, or even superimpose it on the picture when printing (e.g.
    IrfanView). But, like most other Canon cameras, there's no way to get
    the camera to add a visible date to the image data.

    And why would you want it to, since that would permanently damage the
    image, while the date in the EXIF header does not?

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Jan 23, 2006
  4. Jul

    Jeremy Guest

    "Dave Martindale" <> wrote in message >

    > But, like most other Canon cameras, there's no way to get
    > the camera to add a visible date to the image data.
    >
    > And why would you want it to, since that would permanently damage the
    > image, while the date in the EXIF header does not?

    Numerous photo applications are served by imprinting the date on the image
    itself. Insurance adjustors photographing damaged vehicles or property,
    police forensic photos, crime scene photos, accident scene photos,
    scientific applications such as monitoring the progress of experiments, time
    lapse photography applications, progress photos of construction jobs . . .
    the list goes on.

    Jeremy, Jan 23, 2006
  5. Jul

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "Jeremy" <> writes:
    > Numerous photo applications are served by imprinting the date on the
    > image itself. Insurance adjustors photographing damaged vehicles or
    > property, police forensic photos, crime scene photos, accident scene
    > photos, scientific applications such as monitoring the progress of
    > experiments, time lapse photography applications, progress photos of
    > construction jobs . . . the list goes on.

    If you want a print with the date on it, it's pretty easy to do that
    with a photo editor, and there are surely batch scripts or Photoshop
    actions that do it automatically. If you have the idea that
    having the camera put a visible date into the image somehow makes
    the date harder to tamper with, then think more carefully. For
    example, I've never heard of any camera that doesn't let the user
    manually set the camera's clock to any date and time s/he wants.

    If I want to "prove" that I was in Paris last week, I can buy a
    ticket to Paris, set my camera's date to last week, and take a
    picture of the Eiffel Tower. Of course that "proof" is worthless.
    Having the picture's date appear on the image instead of in the
    EXIF doesn't make it any less worthless.

    Paul Rubin, Jan 23, 2006
  6. "Paul Rubin" <http://> wrote in message
    > If you have the idea that
    > having the camera put a visible date into the image somehow makes
    > the date harder to tamper with, then think more carefully. For
    > example, I've never heard of any camera that doesn't let the user
    > manually set the camera's clock to any date and time s/he wants.
    >
    > If I want to "prove" that I was in Paris last week, I can buy a
    > ticket to Paris, set my camera's date to last week, and take a
    > picture of the Eiffel Tower. Of course that "proof" is worthless.
    > Having the picture's date appear on the image instead of in the
    > EXIF doesn't make it any less worthless.

    Worthless? Perhaps in a legal sense, but as a practical matter, it can be
    very handy to have the date as a reference, thus making it a very worthwhile
    tool for many. I don't have to "prove" anything to myself but having the
    date on a printed copy helps for sorting a sequence of events.

    Edwin Pawlowski, Jan 24, 2006
  7. Jul

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "Edwin Pawlowski" <> writes:
    > > If I want to "prove" that I was in Paris last week, I can buy a
    > > ticket to Paris, set my camera's date to last week, and take a
    > > picture of the Eiffel Tower. Of course that "proof" is worthless.
    > > Having the picture's date appear on the image instead of in the
    > > EXIF doesn't make it any less worthless.

    > Worthless? Perhaps in a legal sense, but as a practical matter, it
    > can be very handy to have the date as a reference,

    We were not talking about using it as a reference. We were talking
    about using it as forensic evidence.

    Paul Rubin, Jan 24, 2006
  8. Jul

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Paul Rubin <http://> writes:
    > > > Having the picture's date appear on the image instead of in the
    > > > EXIF doesn't make it any less worthless.

    > > Worthless? Perhaps in a legal sense, but as a practical matter, it
    > > can be very handy to have the date as a reference,

    > We were not talking about using it as a reference. We were talking
    > about using it as forensic evidence.

    I should be more clear: if all you want is a reference date in the
    image without any authentication, it's simple enough to run camera's
    output file through a program that takes the date from the EXIF info
    and injects it into the image. It's silly to think that if the date
    is embedded into the image when the image comes out of the camera,
    that means the date was the real date when the picture was taken.

    Paul Rubin, Jan 24, 2006
  9. "Jeremy" <> writes:

    >"Dave Martindale" <> wrote in message >
    >
    >> But, like most other Canon cameras, there's no way to get
    >> the camera to add a visible date to the image data.
    >>
    >> And why would you want it to, since that would permanently damage the
    >> image, while the date in the EXIF header does not?
    >>

    >Numerous photo applications are served by imprinting the date on the image
    >itself. Insurance adjustors photographing damaged vehicles or property,
    >police forensic photos, crime scene photos, accident scene photos,
    >scientific applications such as monitoring the progress of experiments, time
    >lapse photography applications, progress photos of construction jobs . . .
    >the list goes on.

    Sure, and in all those cases you *can* superimpose the date on the image
    (or better yet, print it in a border area) if you want to, using
    appropriate software. But the original image data remains undamaged.
    And if (for example) the date ends up overtop of a critical rivet that
    you need to examine, you can always go back to the original image.

    While if the date were inserted into the image by the camera, a certain
    portion of the image would be forever destroyed. Doesn't sound like an
    advantage to me.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Jan 24, 2006
  10. Jul

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Jeremy wrote:
    > "Dave Martindale" <> wrote in message >
    >
    >> But, like most other Canon cameras, there's no way to get
    >> the camera to add a visible date to the image data.
    >>
    >> And why would you want it to, since that would permanently damage the
    >> image, while the date in the EXIF header does not?
    >>

    > Numerous photo applications are served by imprinting the date on the image
    > itself. Insurance adjustors photographing damaged vehicles or property,
    > police forensic photos, crime scene photos, accident scene photos,
    > scientific applications such as monitoring the progress of experiments, time
    > lapse photography applications, progress photos of construction jobs . . .
    > the list goes on.

    All quite valid uses, but not on MY pictures. Rather like painting a
    date on the Mona Lisa (not that my pictures are works of art).

    Ron Hunter, Jan 24, 2006
  11. Jul

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Paul Rubin wrote:
    > "Jeremy" <> writes:
    >> Numerous photo applications are served by imprinting the date on the
    >> image itself. Insurance adjustors photographing damaged vehicles or
    >> property, police forensic photos, crime scene photos, accident scene
    >> photos, scientific applications such as monitoring the progress of
    >> experiments, time lapse photography applications, progress photos of
    >> construction jobs . . . the list goes on.

    > If you want a print with the date on it, it's pretty easy to do that
    > with a photo editor, and there are surely batch scripts or Photoshop
    > actions that do it automatically. If you have the idea that
    > having the camera put a visible date into the image somehow makes
    > the date harder to tamper with, then think more carefully. For
    > example, I've never heard of any camera that doesn't let the user
    > manually set the camera's clock to any date and time s/he wants.
    >
    > If I want to "prove" that I was in Paris last week, I can buy a
    > ticket to Paris, set my camera's date to last week, and take a
    > picture of the Eiffel Tower. Of course that "proof" is worthless.
    > Having the picture's date appear on the image instead of in the
    > EXIF doesn't make it any less worthless.

    Nor does putting it one there via Photoshop....

    Ron Hunter, Jan 24, 2006
  12. Ron Hunter wrote:
    []
    > All quite valid uses, but not on MY pictures. Rather like painting a
    > date on the Mona Lisa (not that my pictures are works of art).

    Many artists do just that!

    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 24, 2006
  13. Jul

    Jul Guest

    > "Jeremy" <> writes:
    > >
    > >"Dave Martindale" <> wrote in message >
    > >
    > >> But, like most other Canon cameras, there's no way to get
    > >> the camera to add a visible date to the image data.
    > >>
    > >> And why would you want it to, since that would permanently damage the
    > >> image, while the date in the EXIF header does not?
    > >>

    > >Numerous photo applications are served by imprinting the date on the

    image
    > >itself. Insurance adjustors photographing damaged vehicles or property,
    > >police forensic photos, crime scene photos, accident scene photos,
    > >scientific applications such as monitoring the progress of experiments,

    time
    > >lapse photography applications, progress photos of construction jobs . .

    ..
    > >the list goes on.

    > Sure, and in all those cases you *can* superimpose the date on the image
    > (or better yet, print it in a border area) if you want to, using
    > appropriate software. But the original image data remains undamaged.
    > And if (for example) the date ends up overtop of a critical rivet that
    > you need to examine, you can always go back to the original image.
    >
    > While if the date were inserted into the image by the camera, a certain
    > portion of the image would be forever destroyed. Doesn't sound like an
    > advantage to me.
    >
    > Dave

    Do you have kids?
    Do you want to see 1month, 3months, etc old .. of your baby or just pack of
    unnamed pictures?

    Jul, Jan 25, 2006
  14. Jul

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "Jul" <> writes:
    > Do you have kids?
    > Do you want to see 1month, 3months, etc old .. of your baby or just pack of
    > unnamed pictures?

    I'd rather write the date on the back of the print, so it doesn't mess
    up the picture. The point several of us have been trying to make,
    though, is there's no reason for the CAMERA to imprint the date into
    the image, since it puts it in the digital file instead, so you can
    postprocess the image to have the date imprinted if for some reason
    you really want that.

    For some reason, pictures with the date imprinted on them make me
    think of police videos. Do you really want your camera to make your
    baby look like a criminal at the tender age of 3 months? ;-)

    Paul Rubin, Jan 25, 2006
  15. Jul

    l v Guest

    Jul wrote:

    > Do you have kids?
    > Do you want to see 1month, 3months, etc old .. of your baby or just pack of
    > unnamed pictures?

    Jul

    If you want to do this you should download a free copy of ImageMagick
    from http://imagemagick.org . If you are using microsoft windows,
    place the following in a batch file (for example: addDate.bat). All on
    1 line using notepad.

    convert %1 -gravity SouthEast -fill orange -pointsize 42 -draw "text
    1,43 '%%[exif:DateTimeOriginal]'" -quality 100 %2

    Then you could run the batch file from a command prompt:
    addDate origPic.jpg datePic.jpg

    When the batch file is executing %1 will contain origPic.jpg and %2
    will contain datePic.jpg

    datePic.jpg would contain your origPic.jpg with the date and time the
    picuture was taken in the bottom right in orange. You may need to
    change the size of the text (-pointsize 42) to match the size of your
    image.

    If creative enough, you could add this batch file to your right-click
    Send-To menu within windows explorer for quick and easy access.

    Len

    l v, Jan 26, 2006
  16. "Jul" <> writes:

    >Do you have kids?
    >Do you want to see 1month, 3months, etc old .. of your baby or just pack of
    >unnamed pictures?

    Yes, I have one child. All of my digital photos are automatically
    sorted at the time of transfer from memory card to disk into directories
    named by the date the photos were shot. In addition, if I were to
    create a directory that contained images from multiple days, my image
    viewing software will on request (a single keystroke) display the date
    the image was shot. And if I wanted to print the photos, the prints
    could be labelled with the date if I chose to do that.

    So, why would I want the date printed on the face of the photo, in the
    image area? The date is already there, in multiple forms, easily
    accessible - without damaging the image.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Jan 26, 2006
  17. Jul

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 14:44:05 +0000 (UTC), Dave Martindale wrote:

    > In addition, if I were to create a directory that contained images from
    > multiple days, my image viewing software will on request (a single
    > keystroke) display the date the image was shot. And if I wanted to print
    > the photos, the prints could be labelled with the date if I chose to do that.
    >
    > So, why would I want the date printed on the face of the photo,
    > in the image area? The date is already there, in multiple forms, easily
    > accessible - without damaging the image.

    Prints for your own use don't need even small, inconspicuous date
    info. on them. But it can be invaluable on prints made for family
    and friends, especially for their heirs.

    ASAAR, Jan 26, 2006
  18. Jul

    Jul Guest

    > "Jul" <> writes:
    >
    > >Do you have kids?
    > >Do you want to see 1month, 3months, etc old .. of your baby or just pack

    of
    > >unnamed pictures?

    > Yes, I have one child. All of my digital photos are automatically
    > sorted at the time of transfer from memory card to disk into directories
    > named by the date the photos were shot. In addition, if I were to
    > create a directory that contained images from multiple days, my image
    > viewing software will on request (a single keystroke) display the date
    > the image was shot. And if I wanted to print the photos, the prints
    > could be labelled with the date if I chose to do that.

    Which software do you use for transferring photoes? My software (from Canon)
    does not do that.
    I printed photoes couple of times and did not see a feature to insert date.
    How do you do that?

    > So, why would I want the date printed on the face of the photo, in the
    > image area? The date is already there, in multiple forms, easily
    > accessible - without damaging the image.

    I can always make copy for myself without date. But I want also to have
    images on dvd slideshow with date on it.

    Jul

    Jul, Jan 27, 2006
  19. "Jul" <> writes:

    >> Yes, I have one child. All of my digital photos are automatically
    >> sorted at the time of transfer from memory card to disk into directories
    >> named by the date the photos were shot. In addition, if I were to
    >> create a directory that contained images from multiple days, my image
    >> viewing software will on request (a single keystroke) display the date
    >> the image was shot. And if I wanted to print the photos, the prints
    >> could be labelled with the date if I chose to do that.

    >Which software do you use for transferring photoes? My software (from Canon)
    >does not do that.
    >I printed photoes couple of times and did not see a feature to insert date.
    >How do you do that?

    I don't use the Canon software at all. To transfer images from camera
    or card reader to computer, I use the free Breeze Downloader program.
    (Find it on the Breeze Systems web site. The same people sell
    BreezeBrowser, a replacement for ZoomBrowser). Irfanview apparently has
    an option to place a date (and a wide variety of other data)
    on the image when printing. I think I remember someone else posting a
    recipe of how to do it with ImageMagick. These programs are free.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Jan 27, 2006
  20. Jul

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Dave Martindale wrote:
    > "Jul" <> writes:
    >
    >> Do you have kids?
    >> Do you want to see 1month, 3months, etc old .. of your baby or just pack of
    >> unnamed pictures?

    > Yes, I have one child. All of my digital photos are automatically
    > sorted at the time of transfer from memory card to disk into directories
    > named by the date the photos were shot. In addition, if I were to
    > create a directory that contained images from multiple days, my image
    > viewing software will on request (a single keystroke) display the date
    > the image was shot. And if I wanted to print the photos, the prints
    > could be labelled with the date if I chose to do that.
    >
    > So, why would I want the date printed on the face of the photo, in the
    > image area? The date is already there, in multiple forms, easily
    > accessible - without damaging the image.
    >
    > Dave

    I wish my camera software would do it by the date taken, but is goes the
    easy route and uses the date transferred, which is NOT satisfactory to
    me. Seems Kodak could have done better on this simple thing, given that
    the camera records EXIF 2.2 data....

    Ron Hunter, Jan 27, 2006