Date stamping on prints of digital photos

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Tim, Dec 27, 2003.

  1. Tim

    Tim Guest

    When we used a film camera, the resulting prints had the dates on which we
    took the photos stamped in one of the lower corners. We (my wife and I)
    really liked this feature because it made arranging photos chronologically
    in photo albums very easy. I bought her a digital camera for her birthday
    last spring and we enjoy it all other respects, but we have yet to find a
    print developer that can date stamp the prints. We could do this manually by
    looking up the dates using the photo editing software on our computer, but
    that's pretty cumbersome (example: as I write this, I have 71 images on a
    CD-RW waiting to be printed).

    Does anyone in this newsgroup know of a digital print developer (Web-based
    or retailer) that can date-stamp digital prints? I looked at Kodak's Web
    site this morning for information on their Picture Maker (a supermarket near
    our house has one), but I didn't see anything that indicates that the
    machine can do this. Any suggestions?

    Thanks.
    Tim

    Tim, Dec 27, 2003

  2. Tim

    Guest

    In rec.photo.digital Tim <> wrote:
    > When we used a film camera, the resulting prints had the dates on which we
    > took the photos stamped in one of the lower corners. We (my wife and I)
    > really liked this feature because it made arranging photos chronologically
    > in photo albums very easy. I bought her a digital camera for her birthday
    > last spring and we enjoy it all other respects, but we have yet to find a
    > print developer that can date stamp the prints. We could do this manually by
    > looking up the dates using the photo editing software on our computer, but
    > that's pretty cumbersome (example: as I write this, I have 71 images on a
    > CD-RW waiting to be printed).

    Most digital cameras have a feature where it will imprint the data directly
    onto each image. Frankly, I think this is a lousy idea to use, but to each
    his own. Check your camera's documentation to see if it has this feature.
    , Dec 27, 2003

  3. Tim

    Med Bennett Guest

    I could easily wite a small program to do this with a graphics/analysis
    package called IDL, by looping through the images, reading header and
    image, writing the time/date info to the image, and resaving the image.
    I am sure that it wouldn't be too hard in C either, but I don't know
    that. Surely someone has written such a utility or built it in to their
    software, but I don't know of it.

    Med Bennett, Dec 28, 2003
  4. Tim

    l v Guest

    Med Bennett wrote:

    > I could easily wite a small program to do this with a graphics/analysis
    > package called IDL, by looping through the images, reading header and
    > image, writing the time/date info to the image, and resaving the image.
    > I am sure that it wouldn't be too hard in C either, but I don't know
    > that. Surely someone has written such a utility or built it in to their
    > software, but I don't know of it.
    >
    > Tim wrote:
    >
    >> When we used a film camera, the resulting prints had the dates on
    >> which we
    >> took the photos stamped in one of the lower corners. We (my wife and I)
    >> really liked this feature because it made arranging photos
    >> in photo albums very easy. I bought her a digital camera for her birthday
    >> last spring and we enjoy it all other respects, but we have yet to find a
    >> print developer that can date stamp the prints. We could do this
    >> manually by
    >> looking up the dates using the photo editing software on our computer,
    >> but
    >> that's pretty cumbersome (example: as I write this, I have 71 images on a
    >> CD-RW waiting to be printed).
    >>
    >> Does anyone in this newsgroup know of a digital print developer
    >> (Web-based
    >> or retailer) that can date-stamp digital prints? I looked at Kodak's Web
    >> site this morning for information on their Picture Maker (a
    >> supermarket near
    >> our house has one), but I didn't see anything that indicates that the
    >> machine can do this. Any suggestions?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >> Tim

    ImageMagick (free) can do this. It is command line driven vs GUI.

    The command is as follows to take input file 11.jpg, creates 11.2.jpg
    and places exif's original date/time in the farthest bottom right using
    orange text sized at 24 points. -quality 100 means zero compression on
    the output jpeg. You can change any of the parameters, other paramaters
    are not listed i.e. -font Arial.ttf

    convert 11.jpg -gravity SouthEast -fill orange -pointsize 24 -draw "text
    1,25 '%[exif:DateTimeOriginal]'" -quality 100 11.2.jpg

    put the following on one line in a batch file called add_datetime.bat
    (for windows)
    convert %1 -gravity SouthEast -fill orange -pointsize 24 -draw "text
    1,25 '%%[exif:DateTimeOriginal]'" -quality 100 %2

    Then you can execute it by...
    add_datetime.bat 11.jpg 11.2.jpg

    To do the entire directory of jpegs and update the existing file:
    for %f in (*.jpg) do add_datetime.bat %f %f

    To do the entire directory of jpegs and create a new file named .jpg.jpg:
    for %f in (*.jpg) do add_datetime.bat %f %f.jpg

    or put them in a sub-directory called updated using the same name:
    for %f in (*.jpg) do add_datetime.bat %f updated/%f

    Obviously, you will only want to update copies of your files regardless
    of the method you use.

    Len
    l v, Dec 28, 2003
  5. On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 15:11:47 GMT, "Tim" <> wrote:

    >When we used a film camera, the resulting prints had the dates on which we
    >took the photos stamped in one of the lower corners. We (my wife and I)
    >really liked this feature because it made arranging photos chronologically
    >in photo albums very easy. I bought her a digital camera for her birthday
    >last spring and we enjoy it all other respects, but we have yet to find a
    >print developer that can date stamp the prints. We could do this manually by
    >looking up the dates using the photo editing software on our computer, but
    >that's pretty cumbersome (example: as I write this, I have 71 images on a
    >CD-RW waiting to be printed).

    DCE AutoEnhance will add text to the picture - date and time from the
    embedded EXIF information - where you want it to go, as well as
    enhance the pictures: http://www.mediachance.com/dce/features.html
    Rolf Egil Sølvik, Jan 9, 2004
  6. Tim

    David Guest

    no, i'm not an employee of Adobe. However, their program "Adobe Photoshop
    Album 2.0" would be ideal to put photos in order. The starter edition is
    free, and if you register it with them there's no expiration. I just
    downloaded the starter edition, and am seriously considering getting the
    full version.

    go to http://www.adobe.com/getstarteredition

    David

    David, Jan 10, 2004
  7. Adobe Photo Albem 2.0 vs 1.0 [was: Date stamping on prints of digital photos]

    I bought Adobe Photo Album v1.0 about a year ago and am having trouble
    with the dates on my pictures (both taken with Digital Camera and 35mm
    film). It seems that the date stamp is being generated (incorrectly, I
    might add) and added by Photo Album as/when I add them into Photo
    Album :eek:(

    Maybe they've fixed it with 2.0?? Or, maybe I'm doing it wrong. It
    could be that I need to import the pix from my digital camera with
    Photo Album.

    - manzoor

    Manzoorul Hassan, Jan 19, 2004
  8. Tim

    David Guest

    Re: Adobe Photo Albem 2.0 vs 1.0 [was: Date stamping on prints of digital photos]

    i haven't had this problem with 2.0

    David

    David, Jan 19, 2004
  9. Re: Adobe Photo Albem 2.0 vs 1.0 [was: Date stamping on prints of digital photos]

    Then there's the easy-to-overlook setting -- is your PC clock set to the
    correct time & date?
    XP can synchronize with an internet timeserver. Either you're not
    synchronizing, you're synched to the wrong server, or I don't know what I'm
    talking about. The last is most likely, just taking a friendly guess.

    Larry CdeBaca, Jan 19, 2004