Date Stamp

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dewey, Jun 1, 2005.

  1. Dewey

    Dewey Guest

    Does anyone know a good program for adding date stamps to pix after
    transfering to harddrive? My camera (exilim ex-p700) cannot date stamp at
    time of capture. A program that can date stamp without
    decompressing/recompressing jpegs would be ideal. Free would be good too.

    Thanks.
    Dewey, Jun 1, 2005

  2. Dewey

    Bucky Guest

    Dewey wrote:
    > A program that can date stamp without
    > decompressing/recompressing jpegs would be ideal.

    I don't of know of any. Is it possible to alter a jpeg without
    decompressing it? I kind of doubt it.

    What's your usage for the date stamp? To view on the screen, or to
    print out?

    If you just want to see the date stamp when viewing on screen, then
    just add the datestamp to the filename and use an image viewer that
    shows the file name when viewing the images.

    If you need it to print out, then you can use MS Paint or GIMP.

    If you absolutely cannot lose resolution, you can save it as a PNG. Or
    create the datestamp on a separate layer. It all depends on your
    intended usage.
    Bucky, Jun 1, 2005

  3. Dewey

    Joe Makowiec Guest

    On 01 Jun 2005 in rec.photo.digital, Dewey wrote:

    > Does anyone know a good program for adding date stamps to pix after
    > transfering to harddrive? My camera (exilim ex-p700) cannot date
    > stamp at time of capture. A program that can date stamp without
    > decompressing/recompressing jpegs would be ideal. Free would be good
    > too.

    If you're on Windows or Linux, you might look at jhead:

    http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/jhead/

    I just used it to set file date/time stamps based on EXIF data. It's a
    command-line utility, but not all that hard to use.

    --
    Joe Makowiec
    http://makowiec.org/
    Joe Makowiec, Jun 1, 2005
  4. Dewey

    Vic Guest

    Dewey <> wrote in

    > Does anyone know a good program for adding date stamps to pix after
    > transfering to harddrive? My camera (exilim ex-p700) cannot date stamp
    > at time of capture. A program that can date stamp without
    > decompressing/recompressing jpegs would be ideal. Free would be good
    > too.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Here is just what you need:

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/jdatestamp/
    Vic, Jun 2, 2005
  5. Dewey

    Dewey Guest

    "Bucky" <> wrote in news:1117659075.685035.44340
    @g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > Dewey wrote:
    >> A program that can date stamp without
    >> decompressing/recompressing jpegs would be ideal.

    > I don't of know of any. Is it possible to alter a jpeg without
    > decompressing it? I kind of doubt it.

    There is actually.

    > What's your usage for the date stamp? To view on the screen, or to
    > print out?

    For both preferably.

    > If you just want to see the date stamp when viewing on screen, then
    > just add the datestamp to the filename and use an image viewer that
    > shows the file name when viewing the images.
    >
    > If you need it to print out, then you can use MS Paint or GIMP.
    >
    > If you absolutely cannot lose resolution, you can save it as a PNG. Or
    > create the datestamp on a separate layer. It all depends on your
    > intended usage.

    Thanks
    Dewey, Jun 2, 2005
  6. Dewey

    Dewey Guest

    Joe Makowiec <> wrote in

    > On 01 Jun 2005 in rec.photo.digital, Dewey wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone know a good program for adding date stamps to pix after
    >> transfering to harddrive? My camera (exilim ex-p700) cannot date
    >> stamp at time of capture. A program that can date stamp without
    >> decompressing/recompressing jpegs would be ideal. Free would be good
    >> too.

    > If you're on Windows or Linux, you might look at jhead:
    >
    > http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/jhead/
    >
    > I just used it to set file date/time stamps based on EXIF data. It's a
    > command-line utility, but not all that hard to use.

    Thanks. I'll give it a try.
    Dewey, Jun 2, 2005
  7. Dewey

    Dewey Guest

    Vic <> wrote in news:Xns966985DA65685popweazel@
    202.139.83.40:

    > Dewey <> wrote in
    >
    >> Does anyone know a good program for adding date stamps to pix after
    >> transfering to harddrive? My camera (exilim ex-p700) cannot date stamp
    >> at time of capture. A program that can date stamp without
    >> decompressing/recompressing jpegs would be ideal. Free would be good
    >> too.
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > Here is just what you need:
    >
    > http://sourceforge.net/projects/jdatestamp/

    I'll try it, thanks.
    Dewey, Jun 2, 2005
  8. Dewey

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Dewey wrote:
    > Does anyone know a good program for adding date stamps to pix after
    > transfering to harddrive? My camera (exilim ex-p700) cannot date stamp at
    > time of capture. A program that can date stamp without
    > decompressing/recompressing jpegs would be ideal. Free would be good too.
    >
    > Thanks.

    You would paint a mustache on the mona lisa? PLEASE. Respect your
    pictures. The place for time/date is in the EXIF file, NOT on the
    picture. sigh.

    --
    Ron Hunter
    Ron Hunter, Jun 4, 2005
  9. Dewey

    Dewey Guest

    Ron Hunter <> wrote in

    > Dewey wrote:
    >> Does anyone know a good program for adding date stamps to pix after
    >> transfering to harddrive? My camera (exilim ex-p700) cannot date
    >> stamp at time of capture. A program that can date stamp without
    >> decompressing/recompressing jpegs would be ideal. Free would be good
    >> too.
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > You would paint a mustache on the mona lisa? PLEASE. Respect your
    > pictures. The place for time/date is in the EXIF file, NOT on the
    > picture. sigh.

    Bad analogy. da Vinci did, after all, sign the painting, no?
    Dewey, Jun 5, 2005