    I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ4 digital camera.

    1. What would cause the date-stamps on consecutive image-files to change from September 30th to October 31st? (That's not the infamous 18 1/2-minute gap in the Nixon-Watergate audio tapes but a full 30-day gap) (This happened in the middle of an 17-day escorted tour starting on Sept 25th and ended on Oct 14th. Every night, I removed the battery to re-charge it).

    2. Are new photo image-files get physically stored in the same location as deleted photos on the memory card?
    gary, Jan 5, 2013

  2. gary

    Robert Coe Guest

    :
    : 1. What would cause the date-stamps on consecutive image-files to change from September 30th to October 31st? (That's not the infamous 18 1/2-minute gap in the Nixon-Watergate audio tapes but a full 30-day gap) (This happened in the middle of an 17-day escorted tour starting on Sept 25th and ended on Oct 14th. Every night, I removed the battery to re-charge it).
    :
    : 2. Are new photo image-files get physically stored in the same location as deleted photos on the memory card?

    Leaving the battery out can cause the camera's clock and calendar to go flaky.
    When you take out a battery to charge it, put a charged spare battery in.

    Good cameras have a very small auxiliary battery that will (if it's still in
    good condition) protect you while you're changing bateries. But you shouldn't
    rely on it for long enough to recharge the main battery.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Jan 6, 2013

  3. gary

    Martin Brown Guest

    On 05/01/2013 13:48, gary wrote:
    > I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ4 digital camera.
    >
    > 1. What would cause the date-stamps on consecutive image-files to change from September 30th to October 31st? (That's not the infamous 18 1/2-minute gap in the Nixon-Watergate audio tapes but a full 30-day gap) (This happened in the middle of an 17-day escorted tour starting on Sept 25th and ended on Oct 14th. Every night, I removed the battery to re-charge it).

    A glitch or bad low power state on the internal clock calendar chip most
    likely skipped a month.

    > 2. Are new photo image-files get physically stored in the same location as deleted photos on the memory card?

    Usually although not always (at least in logical terms) first free space
    is used. Load balancing algorithms may actually write the data to a
    different physical location inside the flash memory chip though.

    Anyone that cares about their data integrity never deletes any images in
    camera - it greatly complicates data recovery procedures if later
    something does go wrong with the media. Flash memory is cheap enough
    that you shouldn't need to delete unwanted images carry extra chips.

    --
    Regards,
    Martin Brown
    Martin Brown, Jan 7, 2013
  4. gary

    otter Guest

    Re: "Date Photo taken" date change and deleted photos

    On Jan 5, 7:48 am, gary <> wrote:
    > I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ4 digital camera.
    >
    > 1. What would cause the date-stamps on consecutive image-files to change from September 30th to October 31st? (That's not the infamous 18 1/2-minutegap in the Nixon-Watergate audio tapes but a full 30-day gap)  (This happened in the middle of an 17-day escorted tour starting on Sept 25th and ended on Oct 14th.  Every night, I removed the battery to re-charge it).

    Removing the battery should normally not cause a problem. Maybe some
    glitch with your camera, though. Or perhaps someone changed the month
    in the menus without realizing what they did.
    otter, Jan 7, 2013
  5. gary

    Guest

    , Jan 8, 2013
  6. Robert Coe <> wrote:

    > Good cameras have a very small auxiliary battery that will (if it's still in
    > good condition) protect you while you're changing bateries. But you shouldn't
    > rely on it for long enough to recharge the main battery.

    How long does a battery in your watch work? It's of similar
    size. And it has to move the hands or display the time,
    not just use a couple microampere for advancing the clock
    (and a couple orders of magnitude less for keeping data in
    some small amount of RAM fresh --- assuming you need much of
    that in today's flash memory times).

    Well, after a decade it might be empty ... or not.

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jan 10, 2013
  7. gary

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 23:51:49 +0100, Wolfgang Weisselberg
    <> wrote:
    : Robert Coe <> wrote:
    :
    : > Good cameras have a very small auxiliary battery that will (if it's still in
    : > good condition) protect you while you're changing bateries. But you shouldn't
    : > rely on it for long enough to recharge the main battery.
    :
    : How long does a battery in your watch work? It's of similar
    : size. And it has to move the hands or display the time,
    : not just use a couple microampere for advancing the clock
    : (and a couple orders of magnitude less for keeping data in
    : some small amount of RAM fresh --- assuming you need much of
    : that in today's flash memory times).
    :
    : Well, after a decade it might be empty ... or not.

    I guess it depends. The batteries I've had for my Seiko have always lasted for
    several years. My wife has a collection of cheaper watches, and she's lucky to
    get a year out of the batteries that come with them.

    Of course a watch battery is intended to power the watch 24/7, while the
    auxiliary camera battery is not expected to carry the load of the full-sized
    battery. If I were having the OP's problem, I'd want to at least rule out the
    auxiliary battery as the source of that problem.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Jan 13, 2013
  8. gary

    larrymcg Guest

    On Monday, January 7, 2013 5:05:31 AM UTC-8, otter wrote:
    > On Jan 5, 7:48 am, gary <> wrote:
    >
    > > I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ4 digital camera.

    > > 1. What would cause the date-stamps on consecutive image-files to change from September 30th to October 31st? (That's not the infamous 18 1/2-minute gap in the Nixon-Watergate audio tapes but a full 30-day gap)  (This happened in the middle of an 17-day escorted tour starting on Sept 25th and ended on Oct 14th.  Every night, I removed the battery to re-charge it).

    > Removing the battery should normally not cause a problem. Maybe some
    >
    > glitch with your camera, though. Or perhaps someone changed the month
    >
    > in the menus without realizing what they did.

    Removing the battery with the camera still turned ON could cause a problem.These cameras also go into a power-saving state which looks a lot like the camera is OFF but it's not really off. I almost removed the battery in my camera when it was in power-save mode.
    larrymcg, Jan 13, 2013
  9. gary

    Guest

    You can also try one of the best globally used Photo Recovery Software to repair or restore corrupt photos:

    http://www.recoverfilesdata.com/photo-recovery-software.html

    This software will show you the preview of recovered photoes in trial version.

    Thanks

    On Saturday, January 5, 2013 7:18:35 PM UTC+5:30, gary wrote:
    > I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ4 digital camera.
    >

    > 1. What would cause the date-stamps on consecutive image-files to change from September 30th to October 31st? (That's not the infamous 18 1/2-minutegap in the Nixon-Watergate audio tapes but a full 30-day gap) (This happened in the middle of an 17-day escorted tour starting on Sept 25th and ended on Oct 14th. Every night, I removed the battery to re-charge it).
    >

    > 2. Are new photo image-files get physically stored in the same location as deleted photos on the memory card?
    , Apr 6, 2013