Date on Image - Canon IXUS 500

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dion Liddell, Oct 19, 2004.

  1. Dion Liddell

    Dion Liddell Guest

    Hi,

    Can someone please tell me if there is a way to stamp the date/time on
    an image taken with a Canon IXUS 500? I know that the info is stored
    in the exif information and can be printed when using a pictbridge
    compatible printer.. but I need to be able to have the date displayed
    on the image when viewed on screen. Can this be done using the camera
    menu options or is there a way to use the software provided by canon
    to do this? If not, is there any other software out there that can do
    this?

    Regards,
    Dion.
    Dion Liddell, Oct 19, 2004

  2. Dion Liddell

    Jer Guest

    Dion Liddell wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Can someone please tell me if there is a way to stamp the date/time on
    > an image taken with a Canon IXUS 500? I know that the info is stored
    > in the exif information and can be printed when using a pictbridge
    > compatible printer.. but I need to be able to have the date displayed
    > on the image when viewed on screen. Can this be done using the camera
    > menu options or is there a way to use the software provided by canon
    > to do this? If not, is there any other software out there that can do
    > this?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Dion.

    I'm so new at this digital business, I wouldn't know what cameras would
    do this. I suppose one could always hack it in with an image editor,
    and it would be one's choice where in the image it would be, along with
    colour, font, size, etc.

    --
    jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
    Jer, Oct 20, 2004

  3. Jer wrote:

    > Dion Liddell wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Can someone please tell me if there is a way to stamp the date/time on
    >> an image taken with a Canon IXUS 500? I know that the info is stored
    >> in the exif information and can be printed when using a pictbridge
    >> compatible printer.. but I need to be able to have the date displayed
    >> on the image when viewed on screen. Can this be done using the camera
    >> menu options or is there a way to use the software provided by canon
    >> to do this? If not, is there any other software out there that can do
    >> this?
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Dion.

    > I'm so new at this digital business, I wouldn't know what cameras would
    > do this. I suppose one could always hack it in with an image editor,
    > and it would be one's choice where in the image it would be, along with
    > colour, font, size, etc.

    To the original poster, it should be possible. Just go through all the menu
    options and look for something like "date stamp".

    I date stamped my photos to begin with, then tried sharpening them on the PC and
    the date stamp ends up looking horrible. So now I don't use the date stamp function.

    --
    Ben Thomas
    given nor endorsed by it.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?BenOne=A9?=, Oct 20, 2004
  4. Dion Liddell

    Guest

    >Can someone please tell me if there is a way to stamp the date/time on
    >an image taken with a Canon IXUS 500?

    It can be selected via menu options in Easy Photo Print or Layout Print.
    , Oct 20, 2004
  5. (Dion Liddell) writes:

    >Can someone please tell me if there is a way to stamp the date/time on
    >an image taken with a Canon IXUS 500? I know that the info is stored
    >in the exif information and can be printed when using a pictbridge
    >compatible printer.. but I need to be able to have the date displayed
    >on the image when viewed on screen. Can this be done using the camera
    >menu options or is there a way to use the software provided by canon
    >to do this? If not, is there any other software out there that can do
    >this?

    What does "on screen" mean? If you're reviewing the images in camera,
    you can get all kinds of data overlaid on the image by pressing the DISP
    button.

    If you want the date embedded in the image when it's viewed on a
    computer, you'll need to use other software to do that. The camera will
    not embed dates into the image data itself. But are you sure you want
    this? Generally, it's better to display the date under or over the
    image on the same page, rather than damaging the image with an embedded
    date. If you're placing the images on web pages, adding a bit of text
    near the image should be pretty straightforward.

    I can't think of any situation where I'd want to embed the date into a
    digital image, unless I was trying to simulate a film camera with a date
    imprinting mode. 35 mm film cameras have no other way to include the
    date than putting it into the image, but digital cameras don't have to,
    and generally don't do this.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, Oct 21, 2004