    processors" or something of that nature. Can anyone clarify this and/or shed
    some light on this? I called two MS support lines and they couldn't answer me.
    Thanks!

    jimk - AFCDS, Feb 13, 2008

  2. This is NOT a licensing forum, and frankly there are no licensing folks who
    stop by regularly. That being said, I think you're confusing the number of
    processors licensed for the _server_, with the method of licensing the
    _connections_ to the server. Those are done on either a "per server", "per
    device" or "per user" basis. So, for example, if you're licensed "per
    server", then every connection to the server by user "Jim", requires a CAL
    (client access license). If Jim connects from three PCs, a mobile phone, and
    a VPN connection, that's 5 CALs required. If you're licensed "per user",
    then it doesn't matter how many connections Jim makes, he uses one license
    on the server.

    There can be fairly complicated calculations about which one is the best for
    a particular server. You really need to talk to a licensing expert. If
    you're running Datacenter, you should have access to an escalated support
    line that allows you to ask that question. The other option is to talk to
    your software vendor. I know a lot of the major places have in-house
    licensing experts.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 13, 2008

  3. jimk - AFCDS

    jimk - AFCDS Guest

    Thanks Charlie for your input. Is there a MS licensing forum? I'm having a
    heck of a time locating the proper resources for licensing.

    jimk - AFCDS, Feb 13, 2008
  4. The is a licensing expert on the Partner forums, I know. You should check
    there if you have access.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64