DataCenter Connections and best practices

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Douglas McIver, Aug 2, 2005.

  1. We recently started leasing a cabinet in a data center with the idea that we
    would start keeping some of our mission critical data offsite.

    The datacenter provides us with two CAT5 jacks that are supposed to be fully
    redundant connections to the backbone. We have been given a block of IP
    addresses to use but I want to know what is the best way to configure a
    firewall/switch/router in this cabinet.

    We want to make sure that we have no downtime as a result of a network
    outage. The network technician has told us that they do maintanence on the
    backbone routers one weekend every month and when doing so your connection
    will stay alive if you utilize the redundant connections they provide.

    Right now I have a really cheap firewall installed on the connection and all
    works ok, but I know there is a better way to do it.

    One of the NOC people told me to get a managed switch and setup two of the
    ports in a VLAN or something like that?

    Thanks!
    -Douglas

    Douglas McIver, Aug 2, 2005