    directly, using the remote desktop, would that data usage appear on my
    total usage through my verizon wireless connection?

    I am assuming that there would be no increase other than some minor data.

    richard, Nov 25, 2010

  2. richard

    n0i Guest

    On 11/24/2010 10:42 PM, richard wrote:
    > If I were to transfer say a 1gig file from a website to my server
    > directly, using the remote desktop, would that data usage appear on my
    > total usage through my verizon wireless connection?
    >
    > I am assuming that there would be no increase other than some minor data.

    Data is still being transferred from one computer to another,
    therefore it would count against your monthly Verizon totals...

    n0i

    n0i, Nov 25, 2010

  3. richard

    richard Guest

    On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 22:51:21 -0500, n0i wrote:

    > On 11/24/2010 10:42 PM, richard wrote:
    >> If I were to transfer say a 1gig file from a website to my server
    >> directly, using the remote desktop, would that data usage appear on my
    >> total usage through my verizon wireless connection?
    >>
    >> I am assuming that there would be no increase other than some minor data.

    > Data is still being transferred from one computer to another,
    > therefore it would count against your monthly Verizon totals...
    >
    > n0i

    why would it count if it hasn't passed through the system?

    richard, Nov 25, 2010
  4. richard wrote:

    > If I were to transfer say a 1gig file from a website to my server

    Where is this server? In your motel room? Or are you implying it is
    your 1littleworld web server?

    > directly, using the remote desktop, would that data usage appear on my
    > total usage through my verizon wireless connection?
    >
    > I am assuming that there would be no increase other than some minor
    > data.

    If you move a file from one server to another -- and neither of them are
    attached to the backbone of your Verizon account -- why would you expect
    it to be counted against your usage?

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 25, 2010
  5. richard

    Keith Guest

    On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 20:42:54 -0700, richard <>
    wrote:

    >If I were to transfer say a 1gig file from a website to my server
    >directly, using the remote desktop, would that data usage appear on my
    >total usage through my verizon wireless connection?
    >
    >I am assuming that there would be no increase other than some minor data.

    That depends if Verizon is the adminstartor of the server.
    For example, if I transfer a 1 gig file from FTP server
    ftp.example.com to my upload.comcast.com web account the total is
    deducted from my total Comcast BW for the month. However, if I
    transfer a 1 gig file from ftp.example.com to web.newsguy.com it does
    not effect my total BW at comcast.com, but does effect BW and disk
    space at newsguy.com.

    It all depends what servers are being used to transfer the 1 gig file
    from and to.

    HTH.

    Keith, Nov 25, 2010
  6. richard

    Brian Cryer Guest

    "richard" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 22:51:21 -0500, n0i wrote:
    >
    >> On 11/24/2010 10:42 PM, richard wrote:
    >>> If I were to transfer say a 1gig file from a website to my server
    >>> directly, using the remote desktop, would that data usage appear on my
    >>> total usage through my verizon wireless connection?
    >>>
    >>> I am assuming that there would be no increase other than some minor
    >>> data.

    >> Data is still being transferred from one computer to another,
    >> therefore it would count against your monthly Verizon totals...
    >>
    >> n0i

    > why would it count if it hasn't passed through the system?

    What is the link between your website and your server? If that link is via
    your remote desktop connection (which in turn is through your verizon
    wireless connection) then it will count against your verizon monthly total.
    If the link is totally independent - such that it still continued should you
    turn off your verizon wireless connection then it won't count against your
    verizon monthly total.
    --
    Brian Cryer
    http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian

    Brian Cryer, Nov 25, 2010
  7. richard

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 25/11/2010 03:42, richard wrote:
    > If I were to transfer say a 1gig file from a website to my server
    > directly, using the remote desktop, would that data usage appear on my
    > total usage through my verizon wireless connection?
    >
    > I am assuming that there would be no increase other than some minor data.

    Reading between the lines of your ill formed question, I surmise that
    you are actually saying this:-

    "If I create a RDP session to my Windows web server over my Verizon
    wireless connection and then in that session transfer a file from
    another web server out on the Internet to my Windows web server, does
    any of that data transfer pass through my Verizon wireless connection
    and therfore count towards my data usage?"

    If that is indeed what you meant to say, then the answer is no. The data
    transfer is happening between the two servers, the only data usage on
    your wireless is the RDP session data.

    If you meant something else, please carefully review the wording of your
    question before posting and include more information about your setup.

    Desk Rabbit, Nov 25, 2010
  8. richard

    n0i Guest

    On 11/24/2010 10:59 PM, richard wrote:
    > On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 22:51:21 -0500, n0i wrote:
    >
    >> On 11/24/2010 10:42 PM, richard wrote:
    >>> If I were to transfer say a 1gig file from a website to my server
    >>> directly, using the remote desktop, would that data usage appear on my
    >>> total usage through my verizon wireless connection?
    >>>
    >>> I am assuming that there would be no increase other than some minor data.

    >> Data is still being transferred from one computer to another,
    >> therefore it would count against your monthly Verizon totals...
    >>
    >> n0i

    > why would it count if it hasn't passed through the system?

    Because I misread your message. If you're on as RDP, it's the same as
    if you're sitting in front of the remote computer. If you download from
    there, you are not downloading thru Verizon, and the only chrge would be
    for the data transfer for the images. Now, if you download to your
    computer then transfer it thru Verizon, yeah. That would count against
    your monthly total.

    n0i

    n0i, Nov 25, 2010
  9. richard

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 20:42:54 -0700, richard wrote:

    > If I were to transfer say a 1gig file from a website to my server
    > directly, using the remote desktop, would that data usage appear on my
    > total usage through my verizon wireless connection?
    >
    > I am assuming that there would be no increase other than some minor
    > data.

    You need to learn how to ask questions that make more sense.

    Meat Plow, Nov 25, 2010