    being passed through to me?
    As I use verizon wireless I am limited to 5gigs a month.
    So if I listen for an hour, how much data have I used?

    richard, Nov 13, 2010

  2. richard

    richard Guest

    On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 14:35:25 -0700, richard wrote:

    > Ok smart ones.
    > If I am streaming a live radio station, just how much data is actually
    > being passed through to me?
    > As I use verizon wireless I am limited to 5gigs a month.
    > So if I listen for an hour, how much data have I used?

    32Kbps = 4KB/s = 12MB/hour
    64Kbps = 8KB/s = 23MB/hour
    128Kbps = 16KB/s = 57MB/hour

    According to one source. Is this reasonable?

    richard, Nov 13, 2010

  3. richard wrote:

    > Ok smart ones.

    You're off to a good start there... (oh, you're addressing everyone
    else then. I get it.)

    > If I am streaming a live radio station, just how much data is actually
    > being passed through to me? As I use verizon wireless I am limited to
    > 5gigs a month. So if I listen for an hour, how much data have I used?

    Set yer alarm clock for one hour. (Does your motel room have one?)
    Click on that little network thingy icon on the systray.
    Note the number of bytes received.
    When the alarm clock goes off, read it again.
    Subtract the first number from the second one.

    --
    -bts
    -Could. Not. Resist.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 13, 2010
  4. richard

    richard Guest

    On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 16:52:48 -0500, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > richard wrote:
    >
    >> Ok smart ones.

    > You're off to a good start there... (oh, you're addressing everyone
    > else then. I get it.)
    >
    >> If I am streaming a live radio station, just how much data is actually
    >> being passed through to me? As I use verizon wireless I am limited to
    >> 5gigs a month. So if I listen for an hour, how much data have I used?

    > Set yer alarm clock for one hour. (Does your motel room have one?)
    > Click on that little network thingy icon on the systray.
    > Note the number of bytes received.
    > When the alarm clock goes off, read it again.
    > Subtract the first number from the second one.

    I figure I'm running about 18mb an hour.
    At a whopping speed of a fairly steady 48kbps

    richard, Nov 13, 2010
  5. richard wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> richard wrote:
    >>> Ok smart ones.

    >> You're off to a good start there... (oh, you're addressing everyone
    >> else then. I get it.)
    >>
    >>> If I am streaming a live radio station, just how much data is
    >>> actually being passed through to me? As I use verizon wireless I am
    >>> limited to 5gigs a month. So if I listen for an hour, how much data
    >>> have I used?

    >> Set yer alarm clock for one hour. (Does your motel room have one?)
    >> Click on that little network thingy icon on the systray.
    >> Note the number of bytes received.
    >> When the alarm clock goes off, read it again.
    >> Subtract the first number from the second one.

    > I figure I'm running about 18mb an hour.
    > At a whopping speed of a fairly steady 48kbps

    Well, there ya go. Did you use the calculator?

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 13, 2010