    computer. I bought a external enclosure and I would have to format it
    and defeat my purpose of keeping my data. Can I install as a slave and
    keep my data? Help

    John7, Oct 8, 2005

  2. John7

    kenny Guest

    you can unless you have locked the data with windows XP ntfs security.
    When you add a password to a USER in XP it asks you if you want to protect
    your files.
    If you have done this, you should transfer all the files you need in another
    folder in the root of the disk.
    Also have in mind that you will have to write down all your passwords and
    email acounts because you will not be able to get to them if you have the
    disk as a slave... also
    make sure your files are not hidden (open windows explorer or my computer
    then go to TOOLS> folder options---View and make sure all the hidden files
    and system files are visible) then take a look in the C:\Documents and
    Settings\USER folder
    where USER is your username.. and copy the my favorites, my documents etc.
    also copy your email files and address book (do a search for *.wab =
    windows address book)

    Kenny www.computerboom.com

    HOPE -- Desire and expectation rolled into one.

    kenny, Oct 8, 2005