    sections that are labelled as "unmovable files(with Windows 2000 and XP),"
    or "Data that will not be moved(with Windows 9x)." Why exactly is that?
    And can that be changed?
    Johnny Gyno, Jul 7, 2003

  2. Johnny Gyno

    °Mike° Guest

    They are files that the Windows defragmenter excludes because
    either they are locked (in use) by another program or process,
    or problems can occur if they are moved - I will add that this
    seems to be a MS Defragmenter limitation, as some other third
    party defragmenters (Norton, for instance) are quite capable
    of moving ALL files, including the swap file.

    On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 23:37:15 GMT, in
    <Xns93B0C7DCCD619johnnygynoyahoocom@204.127.204.17>
    Johnny Gyno scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jul 7, 2003

  3. Johnny Gyno

    Johnny Gyno Guest

    °Mike° <> wrote in

    > They are files that the Windows defragmenter excludes because
    > either they are locked (in use) by another program or process,
    > or problems can occur if they are moved - I will add that this
    > seems to be a MS Defragmenter limitation, as some other third
    > party defragmenters (Norton, for instance) are quite capable
    > of moving ALL files, including the swap file.
    >

    > On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 23:37:15 GMT, in
    > <Xns93B0C7DCCD619johnnygynoyahoocom@204.127.204.17>
    > Johnny Gyno scrawled:
    >
    >>Here's a question I've wondered about for a long time, but was never
    >>able to find an answer to: whenever one defrags, there always seem to
    >>be some sections that are labelled as "unmovable files(with Windows
    >>2000 and XP)," or "Data that will not be moved(with Windows 9x)." Why
    >>exactly is that? And can that be changed?

    Hey, great stuff! Thanks a lot for the responses.

    Let me ask you this: what other defragmenter programs are there out
    there(and what's the name of the Norton program, please?)? And in your
    opinions, what is the best one to use?
    Johnny Gyno, Jul 7, 2003
  4. Johnny Gyno

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 00:57:24 GMT, in
    <Xns93B0D5734CE03johnnygynoyahoocom@204.127.204.17>
    Johnny Gyno scrawled:

    >°Mike° <> wrote in
    >
    >> They are files that the Windows defragmenter excludes because
    >> either they are locked (in use) by another program or process,
    >> or problems can occur if they are moved - I will add that this
    >> seems to be a MS Defragmenter limitation, as some other third
    >> party defragmenters (Norton, for instance) are quite capable
    >> of moving ALL files, including the swap file.
    >>

    >> On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 23:37:15 GMT, in
    >> <Xns93B0C7DCCD619johnnygynoyahoocom@204.127.204.17>
    >> Johnny Gyno scrawled:
    >>
    >>>Here's a question I've wondered about for a long time, but was never
    >>>able to find an answer to: whenever one defrags, there always seem to
    >>>be some sections that are labelled as "unmovable files(with Windows
    >>>2000 and XP)," or "Data that will not be moved(with Windows 9x)." Why
    >>>exactly is that? And can that be changed?

    >Hey, great stuff! Thanks a lot for the responses.
    >
    >Let me ask you this: what other defragmenter programs are there out
    >there(and what's the name of the Norton program, please?)? And in your
    >opinions, what is the best one to use?

    The only one I am familiar with, is VoptXP (shareware).
    http://www.vopt.com/VoptXP.htm

    The Norton defragmenter is called Speed Disk, and comes as
    part of Norton Utilities (System Works now, I believe).
    http://www.symantec.com/sabu/sysworks/basic/

    For Windows 9x, the 32bit MS defragmenter that comes with
    Windows ME is compatible, and runs MUCH faster than the 9x
    version.
    http://www.sandylee.net/downloads/Defrag/winme_defrag.zip

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jul 7, 2003
  5. Johnny Gyno

    Michael Guest

    In news:,
    Shep© <> wrote:

    > On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 00:57:24 GMT, In this world we created Johnny Gyno
    > <> wrote :
    >
    >> °Mike° <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> They are files that the Windows defragmenter excludes because
    >>> either they are locked (in use) by another program or process,
    >>> or problems can occur if they are moved - I will add that this
    >>> seems to be a MS Defragmenter limitation, as some other third
    >>> party defragmenters (Norton, for instance) are quite capable
    >>> of moving ALL files, including the swap file.
    >>>

    >>> On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 23:37:15 GMT, in
    >>> <Xns93B0C7DCCD619johnnygynoyahoocom@204.127.204.17>
    >>> Johnny Gyno scrawled:

    >> Hey, great stuff! Thanks a lot for the responses.
    >>
    >> Let me ask you this: what other defragmenter programs are there out
    >> there(and what's the name of the Norton program, please?)? And in
    >> your opinions, what is the best one to use?

    > Windows defrag.Why worry about it and certainly don't pay for one IMHO
    > :)

    My feeling exactly.

    If your actually find a *need* (and must pay) for one of the fancier
    defraggers that's available out there, (bundled as they usually are with
    all sorts of ancillary tools you probably *don't* need,) you'll probably
    find you can accomplish a lot more by just getting a much bigger hard
    drive...

    .... and if both of your 300GB drives are in desperate need of this sort of
    care, then by now you should have found a way to earn sufficient money from
    your machine to compensate very sweetly for the nuisance it causes. :eek:)

    ((U))
    Michael, Jul 7, 2003
  6. Johnny Gyno

    Mara Guest

    On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 02:49:43 +0100, °Mike° wrote:

    <snip>
    >The only one I am familiar with, is VoptXP (shareware).
    >http://www.vopt.com/VoptXP.htm

    Which is an excellent program. It will move the swap (or pagefile) to the front
    of the drive, and has other good tools as well. Thanks for telling me about it.
    :)

    >The Norton defragmenter is called Speed Disk, and comes as
    >part of Norton Utilities (System Works now, I believe).
    >http://www.symantec.com/sabu/sysworks/basic/

    Norton. <spit>

    >For Windows 9x, the 32bit MS defragmenter that comes with
    >Windows ME is compatible, and runs MUCH faster than the 9x
    >version.
    >http://www.sandylee.net/downloads/Defrag/winme_defrag.zip

    That's what I did to my boss's computer. Much, much better, but not as good as
    VoptXP, IMHO.

    --
    "I'm all for co-ed naked spam fighting."
    -- Ereshkigal, nanae, 8/05/2000
    Mara, Jul 7, 2003
  7. Johnny Gyno

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 21:02:46 -0500, in
    <>
    Mara scrawled:

    >On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 02:49:43 +0100, °Mike° wrote:
    >
    ><snip>
    >>The only one I am familiar with, is VoptXP (shareware).
    >>http://www.vopt.com/VoptXP.htm

    >Which is an excellent program. It will move the swap (or pagefile)
    >to the front of the drive, and has other good tools as well. Thanks
    >for telling me about it. :)

    You're welcome. :)

    >>The Norton defragmenter is called Speed Disk, and comes as
    >>part of Norton Utilities (System Works now, I believe).
    >>http://www.symantec.com/sabu/sysworks/basic/

    >Norton. <spit>

    You don't mind if I spit beside yours, do you? <spit>

    >>For Windows 9x, the 32bit MS defragmenter that comes with
    >>Windows ME is compatible, and runs MUCH faster than the 9x
    >>version.
    >>http://www.sandylee.net/downloads/Defrag/winme_defrag.zip

    >That's what I did to my boss's computer. Much, much better, but
    >not as good as VoptXP, IMHO.

    Definitely not. :)

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jul 7, 2003
  8. Johnny Gyno

    Johnny Gyno Guest

    °Mike° <> wrote in news:3f0dd679.11140598
    @localhost.dot.net:

    > On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 21:02:46 -0500, in
    > <>
    > Mara scrawled:
    >
    >>On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 02:49:43 +0100, °Mike° wrote:
    >>
    >><snip>
    >>>The only one I am familiar with, is VoptXP (shareware).
    >>>http://www.vopt.com/VoptXP.htm

    >>Which is an excellent program. It will move the swap (or pagefile)
    >>to the front of the drive, and has other good tools as well.

    Thanks for the heads-up on VoptXP. Ya see, I want to partition my hard
    drive so I can load another OS, but the final cylinder contains
    unmovable files - since it's at the last cylinder on the hard drive,
    there's no room to create a new partition. That's why I was wondering
    if there was a way to move that data further down on the hard drive, to
    make room for another partition. I'll play with the VoptXP and see what
    I can do with it - thanks for the tip!
    Johnny Gyno, Jul 7, 2003
  9. Johnny Gyno

    Johnny Gyno Guest

    Mara <> wrote in

    > On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 03:03:23 GMT, Johnny Gyno wrote:
    >
    >>°Mike° <> wrote in news:3f0dd679.11140598
    >>@localhost.dot.net:
    >>
    >>> On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 21:02:46 -0500, in
    >>> <>
    >>> Mara scrawled:

    >>Thanks for the heads-up on VoptXP. Ya see, I want to partition my
    >>hard drive so I can load another OS, but the final cylinder contains
    >>unmovable files - since it's at the last cylinder on the hard drive,
    >>there's no room to create a new partition. That's why I was wondering
    >>if there was a way to move that data further down on the hard drive,
    >>to make room for another partition. I'll play with the VoptXP and see
    >>what I can do with it - thanks for the tip!

    > Caution: It will move (optimize) the pagefile, but it doesn't
    > necessarily move _all_ files. You'll just have to try it and see if it
    > works for you.
    >
    > When I created my dual-boot 2k/SuSE machine, I just had SuSE Linux
    > change the partitions. Worked like a champ.

    Thanks for the extra input; it seemed to do the trick. I optimized
    things, using VoptXP, then ran the normal XP defrag; it showed all data
    pushed over to the left side of the display, including the page file.
    Before, all the data was scattered all over the drive.

    It did a real good job of compacting the data as well; I now have about
    66% open space on the hard drive, as opposed to the 51% I used to have.

    I'll try creating a partition for my Slackware 7.0 now - it should work
    like a champ. Wish me luck!!!
    Johnny Gyno, Jul 7, 2003
  10. Johnny Gyno

    Johnny Gyno Guest

    Mara <> wrote in

    >>It did a real good job of compacting the data as well; I now have about
    >>66% open space on the hard drive, as opposed to the 51% I used to have.

    > It's an excellent program.
    >

    >>I'll try creating a partition for my Slackware 7.0 now - it should work
    >>like a champ. Wish me luck!!!

    > Good luck. :)

    Uh-oh - not so fast. I ran FIPS from the boot disk, and it looked like it
    was doing fine. Then, after one of the checks, I got the following error:

    "The last cylinder is not free.

    Since the new partition is created at the end of the old one and contains
    at least 1 cylinder, the partition cannot be split if not at least the very
    last cylinder is completely free. Probably there is a hidden file like
    "image.idx" or "mirorsave.fil" in the last cylinder - see the doc."

    Anything I can use to check the final cylinder for data, and then to move
    it or clear it? Hope someone can help; boy, I'm learning a lot when it
    comes to Linux!!
    Johnny Gyno, Jul 8, 2003