    the Desktop folder.

    Any help would be great. I can't afford to take it into a shop and have it
    done professionally. Cheers.

    Jimi, Feb 16, 2006

  2. Jimi wrote:
    > My old pc's processor (Athlon 1600+), so I used that as a good excuse to
    > upgrade to an Athlon 64 3500.
    >
    > I didn't put my old 80 gig harddrive in for fear of losing a lot of very
    > much needed files. Some of which are located in a folder on the desktop,
    > the other located in various folders in My Documents.
    >
    > In an attempt to recover those files, I put that drive in an external USB
    > harddrive case. However, it won't let me access the My Documents folder or
    > the Desktop folder.
    >
    > Any help would be great. I can't afford to take it into a shop and have it
    > done professionally. Cheers.

    Try searching the external drive for a *filename* that you know was in
    the desktop or My Documents "folder".

    You may be surprised to see it find it and what folder it is in...

    --
    Sue

    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, Feb 16, 2006

  3. Jimi

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 12:15:11 +0000, Jimi wrote:

    > My old pc's processor (Athlon 1600+), so I used that as a good excuse to
    > upgrade to an Athlon 64 3500.
    >
    > I didn't put my old 80 gig harddrive in for fear of losing a lot of very
    > much needed files. Some of which are located in a folder on the desktop,
    > the other located in various folders in My Documents.
    >
    > In an attempt to recover those files, I put that drive in an external USB
    > harddrive case. However, it won't let me access the My Documents folder
    > or the Desktop folder.
    >
    > Any help would be great. I can't afford to take it into a shop and have
    > it done professionally. Cheers.

    What OS? Is it that you just don't know where your local docs are stored?
    Need some more info dood.

    Meat Plow, Feb 16, 2006
  4. Jimi

    Dave Keays Guest

    Jimi wrote:
    > My old pc's processor (Athlon 1600+), so I used that as a good excuse to
    > upgrade to an Athlon 64 3500.
    >
    > I didn't put my old 80 gig harddrive in for fear of losing a lot of very
    > much needed files. Some of which are located in a folder on the desktop,
    > the other located in various folders in My Documents.
    >
    > In an attempt to recover those files, I put that drive in an external USB
    > harddrive case. However, it won't let me access the My Documents folder or
    > the Desktop folder.
    >
    > Any help would be great. I can't afford to take it into a shop and have it
    > done professionally. Cheers.

    If you are using XPh or XPp, then the contents of the 'My Documents' folder are at:

    C:\Documents and Settings\<USER NAME>\My Documents

    Of course you have to replace the <USER NAME> with your user name and maybe
    change the drive numbers as needed. Use 'All Users' for the shared documents.

    --

    Dave Keays

    Dave Keays, Feb 16, 2006
  5. Jimi

    fred-bloggs Guest

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech

    --
    fred

    fred-bloggs, Feb 16, 2006
  6. Jimi

    Terry Guest

    Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 12:15:11 +0000, Jimi wrote:
    >
    >> My old pc's processor (Athlon 1600+), so I used that as a good excuse to
    >> upgrade to an Athlon 64 3500.
    >>
    >> I didn't put my old 80 gig harddrive in for fear of losing a lot of very
    >> much needed files. Some of which are located in a folder on the desktop,
    >> the other located in various folders in My Documents.
    >>
    >> In an attempt to recover those files, I put that drive in an external USB
    >> harddrive case. However, it won't let me access the My Documents folder
    >> or the Desktop folder.
    >>
    >> Any help would be great. I can't afford to take it into a shop and have
    >> it done professionally. Cheers.

    > What OS? Is it that you just don't know where your local docs are stored?
    > Need some more info dood.

    I think he told you Win 98, dood!

    Terry, Feb 16, 2006
  7. Jimi

    Plato Guest

    Plato, Feb 16, 2006
  8. Jimi

    Jimi Guest

    Thanks Fred, that was very useful! Got it sorted. Cheers.

    Jimi, Feb 16, 2006