    try to dry out the hard disk and see if things work, but if not...I
    know about Ontrack and like their software, but the only thing I've
    heard about data recovery from hardware, wasn't so positive.

    socrtwo, Jun 27, 2006

  2. socrtwo

    SgtMinor Guest

    socrtwo wrote:
    > This is a little embaressing as I run a freeware data recovery list and
    > have little clue about it:
    >
    > What is the best most cost effective data recovery company in the
    > Washington DC area? The East Coast has had Biblical rains for several
    > days and my brother's neighbor's PC got completely submerged.
    >
    > The hard drive would need recovery. The neighbor and my brother will
    > try to dry out the hard disk and see if things work, but if not...I
    > know about Ontrack and like their software, but the only thing I've
    > heard about data recovery from hardware, wasn't so positive.

    Until you find a data recovery service, keep in mind these
    suggestions from Ontrack regarding water damaged equipment:

    "Rain and seawater harm the data stored on hard disk drives, tapes
    and other storage devices in two primary ways. First, they cause
    electrical damage, which makes data inaccessible to the user.
    Secondly, when computer media is submerged in water, water may
    leak through the protective seal of the hard drive, spreading dirt
    and other contaminants onto the storage area. When users find
    their computers submerged in water or buried under rubble, their
    first course of action should be to contact a professional data
    recovery service. Users should never attempt to operate, clean or
    dry storage devices (tapes, floppy disks, hard drives) exposed to
    water. Ontrack Data Recovery operates data recovery labs equipped
    with clean rooms expressly for that purpose.

    Ontrack recommends that computer users fearing loss of their vital
    information review the following tips before assuming that the
    damage is permanent:

    * Never assume that data is unrecoverable, no matter what it
    has been through;
    * Do not shake, disassemble or attempt to clean any hard
    drive or server that has been damaged;
    * Never attempt to dry water-damaged media by opening it or
    exposing it to heat - such as that from a hairdryer;
    * Do not attempt to operate visibly damaged devices;
    * For mission critical situations, contact a data recovery
    professional before any attempts are made to reconfigure,
    reinstall or reformat."

    http://www.ontrack.com/newsreleases/index.aspx?getPressRelease=4304

    It may seem odd but after a flood the best thing to do with many
    items you want to save is to keep them submerged. Photographs
    often get ruined by people who let everything dry up and then pry
    the prints off of one another. All they would need to do is soak
    everything in a bathtub and the pictures will separate and can
    then be rinsed and dried.

    SgtMinor, Jun 28, 2006

  3. socrtwo

    socrtwo Guest

    SgtMinor wrote:
    > socrtwo wrote:
    > > This is a little embaressing as I run a freeware data recovery list and
    > > have little clue about it:
    > >
    > > What is the best most cost effective data recovery company in the
    > > Washington DC area? The East Coast has had Biblical rains for several
    > > days and my brother's neighbor's PC got completely submerged.
    > >
    > > The hard drive would need recovery. The neighbor and my brother will
    > > try to dry out the hard disk and see if things work, but if not...I
    > > know about Ontrack and like their software, but the only thing I've
    > > heard about data recovery from hardware, wasn't so positive.
    > >

    > Until you find a data recovery service, keep in mind these
    > suggestions from Ontrack regarding water damaged equipment:
    >
    > "Rain and seawater harm the data stored on hard disk drives, tapes
    > and other storage devices in two primary ways. First, they cause
    > electrical damage, which makes data inaccessible to the user.
    > Secondly, when computer media is submerged in water, water may
    > leak through the protective seal of the hard drive, spreading dirt
    > and other contaminants onto the storage area. When users find
    > their computers submerged in water or buried under rubble, their
    > first course of action should be to contact a professional data
    > recovery service. Users should never attempt to operate, clean or
    > dry storage devices (tapes, floppy disks, hard drives) exposed to
    > water. Ontrack Data Recovery operates data recovery labs equipped
    > with clean rooms expressly for that purpose.
    >
    > Ontrack recommends that computer users fearing loss of their vital
    > information review the following tips before assuming that the
    > damage is permanent:
    >
    > * Never assume that data is unrecoverable, no matter what it
    > has been through;
    > * Do not shake, disassemble or attempt to clean any hard
    > drive or server that has been damaged;
    > * Never attempt to dry water-damaged media by opening it or
    > exposing it to heat - such as that from a hairdryer;
    > * Do not attempt to operate visibly damaged devices;
    > * For mission critical situations, contact a data recovery
    > professional before any attempts are made to reconfigure,
    > reinstall or reformat."
    >
    > http://www.ontrack.com/newsreleases/index.aspx?getPressRelease=4304
    >
    > It may seem odd but after a flood the best thing to do with many
    > items you want to save is to keep them submerged. Photographs
    > often get ruined by people who let everything dry up and then pry
    > the prints off of one another. All they would need to do is soak
    > everything in a bathtub and the pictures will separate and can
    > then be rinsed and dried.

    Thanks much, great response.

    socrtwo, Jun 28, 2006
  4. socrtwo

    Top Guest

    socrtwo brought next idea :
    > This is a little embaressing as I run a freeware data recovery
    > list and have little clue about it:

    > What is the best most cost effective data recovery company in
    > the Washington DC area? The East Coast has had Biblical rains
    > for several days and my brother's neighbor's PC got completely
    > submerged.

    > The hard drive would need recovery. The neighbor and my
    > brother will try to dry out the hard disk and see if things
    > work, but if not...I know about Ontrack and like their
    > software, but the only thing I've heard about data recovery
    > from hardware, wasn't so positive.

    I don't know any companies myself but let me say the neighbor
    should be in good shape. I've seen hd's that have been under
    water as a result of flooding that came through in good shape. A
    friend on the Atlantic shores had several PC's under water. The
    computers themselves were in bad shape but the HDs didn't lose
    any data. I've seen keyboards that after a good cleaning were
    functional.

    Good luck,
    Top

    --
    Never mind that Man behind the curtin

    Top, Jun 28, 2006
  5. socrtwo

    Guest

    Hi,

    I have used www.retrodata.co.uk in the past and they have been
    excellent. They do a service for individuals which is really handy.
    Really well priced aswell. They do international stuff (I am in Italy)
    and I sent drive on Monday, and got drive and data back on Wednesday
    evening!

    WC
    Top wrote:
    > socrtwo brought next idea :
    > > This is a little embaressing as I run a freeware data recovery
    > > list and have little clue about it:

    > > What is the best most cost effective data recovery company in
    > > the Washington DC area? The East Coast has had Biblical rains
    > > for several days and my brother's neighbor's PC got completely
    > > submerged.

    > > The hard drive would need recovery. The neighbor and my
    > > brother will try to dry out the hard disk and see if things
    > > work, but if not...I know about Ontrack and like their
    > > software, but the only thing I've heard about data recovery
    > > from hardware, wasn't so positive.

    > I don't know any companies myself but let me say the neighbor
    > should be in good shape. I've seen hd's that have been under
    > water as a result of flooding that came through in good shape. A
    > friend on the Atlantic shores had several PC's under water. The
    > computers themselves were in bad shape but the HDs didn't lose
    > any data. I've seen keyboards that after a good cleaning were
    > functional.
    >
    > Good luck,
    > Top
    >
    > --