    Has anyone ever encountered this, where the drive seems to be working, but
    the index is erased? If so can anyone recommend any software to salvage data
    from a drive in this condition? Thanks.

    Tysha, Oct 16, 2003

  2. On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 20:19:27 +1000, B. Al. Zeebub read and pondered :

    > I've got a harddrive which no longer shows up in Windows. If I attempt to
    > boot from it or navigate to it using Partition Magic, I am told that it is
    > unrecognised and needs to be formatted.
    >
    > Has anyone ever encountered this, where the drive seems to be working, but
    > the index is erased? If so can anyone recommend any software to salvage data
    > from a drive in this condition? Thanks.

    If its a physical hard drive try hooking it up as a slave to another PC
    and see if you can view the contents of the disc there. If you have
    broadband you can also try downloading Knoppix Linux, which is a complete
    OS on a bootable CD and runs independently of the host PC. Using Knoppix
    and a Zip or USB drive you can copy files and save data from Windows
    *when* it goes belly up. Go here for more info.

    http://www.knoppix.net/

    If you can't download the free version you can buy a CD. Its also been
    included in PCplus magazine (UK) and APC magazine (Aust) recently.
    B.

    B. Al. Zeebub, Oct 16, 2003

  3. Tysha

    °Mike° Guest

    Remove and reseat the cables - replace them if necessary.
    Is the drive recognised in the BIOS?

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 20:19:27 +1000, in
    <3f8e6e8c$0$23586$>
    Tysha scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Oct 16, 2003
  4. Tysha

    Tysha Guest

    "B. Al. Zeebub" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 20:19:27 +1000, B. Al. Zeebub read and pondered :
    >
    > > I've got a harddrive which no longer shows up in Windows. If I attempt

    > > boot from it or navigate to it using Partition Magic, I am told that it

    is
    > > unrecognised and needs to be formatted.
    > >
    > > Has anyone ever encountered this, where the drive seems to be working,

    but
    > > the index is erased? If so can anyone recommend any software to salvage

    data
    > > from a drive in this condition? Thanks.

    > If its a physical hard drive try hooking it up as a slave to another PC
    > and see if you can view the contents of the disc there.

    Yeah that was the basic plan. Hoping that someone might be able to recommend
    some salvage software which might assist in viewing whatevers left on the
    damaged disk.

    > If you have
    > broadband you can also try downloading Knoppix Linux, which is a complete
    > OS on a bootable CD and runs independently of the host PC. Using Knoppix
    > and a Zip or USB drive you can copy files and save data from Windows
    > *when* it goes belly up. Go here for more info.
    >
    > http://www.knoppix.net/

    Thanks for the suggestion. It wasn't exactly what I was after, but it sounds
    like a very useful idea, particularly in situations like mine. I'm
    downloading a copy now and will give it a try, hopefully in conjunction with
    some decent recovery software. Any more suggestions?

    Tysha, Oct 16, 2003
  5. Tysha

    Tysha Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > Remove and reseat the cables - replace them if necessary.

    Replaced IDE and power cables - no change in response.

    > Is the drive recognised in the BIOS?

    Yep, no sign of a problem in BIOS. As soon as XP tries to boot up, I get a
    DISK BOOT FAILURE. Viewing in Windows Setup or via Partition Magic on a
    different PC insists the drive is not formatted. Problem was caused after I
    hard reset a freeze on my XP (NTFS) P4.

    Tysha, Oct 16, 2003
  6. Tysha

    °Mike° Guest

    Try GetDataBack for NTFS
    http://www.runtime.org/gdb.htm

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 22:16:10 +1000, in
    <3f8e89e6$0$23601$>
    Tysha scrawled:

    °Mike°, Oct 16, 2003
  7. Tysha

    SgtMinor Guest

    Based on personal experience I highly recommend active@:
    http://www.partition-recovery.com/partition.htm

    You can try a demo version of the program free of charge and it will
    show you what it can recover. If you like what you see, pay the $30 for
    the full version.

    There's no need for a second drive or second computer, all it needs is a
    floppy drive to boot from.

    SgtMinor, Oct 16, 2003
  8. Tysha

    hugh jass Guest

    I recently had a problem with my hard disk... Was getting the message
    "operating system not found" when I tried to boot. I got a copy of SpinRite
    (cheap) and ran it as described on the website
    (http://grc.com/spinrite.htm). Not 100% sure if this is what you need - but
    it seems to fix a wide range of problems. After using this, reboots have
    been successful and I've had no problems since.
    best of luck, hj

    From the website:
    "SpinRite prevents mass storage systems from crashing or warns the user of
    pending catastrophe. If SpinRite is not used until after a crash, it
    skillfully picks up all the pieces, recovers your data, and puts everything
    back together again."

    ______________________
    :

    hugh jass, Oct 16, 2003
  9. Tysha

    SgtMinor Guest

    I've owned three different versions of Spinrite beginning with v. 1.2
    and have been very happy with the product. It can do miracles with a
    damaged hard drive. But it is very slow, and with a price of $89 (about
    what you'd pay for an 80 Gig hard drive) it has become a bit of a
    boutique item. That's why I recommended the demo version of active@.

    SgtMinor, Oct 16, 2003
  10. Tysha

    Eric Gisin Guest

    Which Windows? FAT/NTFS? No longer show up in My Computer or Device Manager?

    Eric Gisin, Oct 17, 2003
  11. Tysha

    Tysha Guest

    "Eric Gisin" <> wrote in message
    > Which Windows? FAT/NTFS? No longer show up in My Computer or Device

    Manager?

    NTFS. Still shows up in Device Manager (I think), but definately not in My
    Computer.

    Tysha, Oct 17, 2003