Data Recovery from Ghosted drive

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jason E, Jul 20, 2004.

  1. Jason E

    Jason E Guest

    I am currently in the midst of a data recovery effort to recover some files
    that were deleted by mistake. I'm wondering if a Ghost image of the drive
    will have all of the necessary information for my data recovery software to
    get the files...

    Here's what happened:

    1) Some files were deleted from drive #1 via the dos command, "deltree"
    2) Drive #1 hasn't been touched since the files were deleted.
    3) Data recovery software found all the files that I need to restore, so I
    know they are available to be recovered. I just haven't done it yet.

    My plan is this:

    1) Ghost drive #1 to a 2nd hard drive.
    2) Perform data recovery on the 2nd drive to recover the files that were
    deleted from the drive #1

    What I'm wondering is...will the 2nd drive still have all of the same
    "recoverable data" that my recovery software found on the 'source drive'

    Jason E, Jul 20, 2004

  2. Jason E

    °Mike° Guest

    Why do you need to ghost? What recovery software
    are you using? GetDataBack will enable you to recover
    the files directly -- just boot from drive #2 with drive #1
    as slave.

    GetDataBack
    http://www.runtime.org/gdb.htm

    On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 13:33:27 -0500, in
    <Xns952C89EBF6A1oob@216.196.97.136>
    Jason E scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jul 20, 2004

  3. Jason E

    allan Guest

    Jason E wrote:

    > I am currently in the midst of a data recovery effort to recover some files
    > that were deleted by mistake. I'm wondering if a Ghost image of the drive
    > will have all of the necessary information for my data recovery software to
    > get the files...
    >
    > Here's what happened:
    >
    > 1) Some files were deleted from drive #1 via the dos command, "deltree"
    > 2) Drive #1 hasn't been touched since the files were deleted.
    > 3) Data recovery software found all the files that I need to restore, so I
    > know they are available to be recovered. I just haven't done it yet.
    >
    > My plan is this:
    >
    > 1) Ghost drive #1 to a 2nd hard drive.
    > 2) Perform data recovery on the 2nd drive to recover the files that were
    > deleted from the drive #1
    >
    > What I'm wondering is...will the 2nd drive still have all of the same
    > "recoverable data" that my recovery software found on the 'source drive'

    Why bother with the ghost thing? It want work anyway.As the image it
    makes concern the visible programs and files and settings not so called
    empty space.Just use the recover program you got and do it.
    al

    allan, Jul 20, 2004
  4. Jason E

    Jason E Guest

    °Mike° <> wrote in

    > Why do you need to ghost? What recovery software
    > are you using? GetDataBack will enable you to recover
    > the files directly -- just boot from drive #2 with drive #1
    > as slave.

    Why do people always feel the need to answer simple questions with more
    questions and unrelated suggestions? I need the ghost because I need to buy
    time. Ghosting was one of the ways I could do it. I have software that does
    exactly what you're describing, but I can't do it right this second for
    reasons I'm not going to get into.

    Jason E, Jul 21, 2004
  5. Jason E

    Jason E Guest

    allan <> wrote in

    > Jason E wrote:
    >
    >> I am currently in the midst of a data recovery effort to recover some
    >> files that were deleted by mistake. I'm wondering if a Ghost image
    >> of the drive will have all of the necessary information for my data
    >> recovery software to get the files...
    >>
    >> Here's what happened:
    >>
    >> 1) Some files were deleted from drive #1 via the dos command,
    >> "deltree" 2) Drive #1 hasn't been touched since the files were
    >> deleted. 3) Data recovery software found all the files that I need to
    >> restore, so I know they are available to be recovered. I just haven't
    >> done it yet.
    >>
    >> My plan is this:
    >>
    >> 1) Ghost drive #1 to a 2nd hard drive.
    >> 2) Perform data recovery on the 2nd drive to recover the files that
    >> were deleted from the drive #1
    >>
    >> What I'm wondering is...will the 2nd drive still have all of the same
    >> "recoverable data" that my recovery software found on the 'source
    >> drive'

    > Why bother with the ghost thing? It want work anyway.As the image it
    > makes concern the visible programs and files and settings not so
    > called empty space.Just use the recover program you got and do it.
    > al

    The ghosting gives me a way out of a jam. I won't go into details. Too
    bad it's not possible. That's ok.. I have an alternative route.

    Jason E, Jul 21, 2004
  6. Howdy!

    "Jason E" <> wrote in message
    > I am currently in the midst of a data recovery effort to recover some

    files
    > that were deleted by mistake. I'm wondering if a Ghost image of the drive
    > will have all of the necessary information for my data recovery software

    > get the files...

    Yes - !IF! - you do a "Copy All Sectors" command. I don't have a
    copy of Ghost nor the manual here, but if you go GHOST /? (or GHOSTPE /? for
    the personal edition), it'll tell you how to make an exact image.

    Although, what !I! do is do a full image to files (splitting at
    650MB to make them fit on CD-Rs later) with the command:

    GHOST -AUTO -SPLIT=650 -Z3 -NTIL -BFC

    which "AUTO"names the files. "SPLIT"s them at 650MB boundaries,
    compre"Z"es them at level 3, "NTI"gnores the "L"og file, and don't ask me
    how BFC is "Keep trying to read bad sectors". You'd need to add the "Exact
    Image" command to that tail.

    > Here's what happened:
    >
    > 1) Some files were deleted from drive #1 via the dos command, "deltree"
    > 2) Drive #1 hasn't been touched since the files were deleted.
    > 3) Data recovery software found all the files that I need to restore, so I
    > know they are available to be recovered. I just haven't done it yet.
    >
    > My plan is this:
    >
    > 1) Ghost drive #1 to a 2nd hard drive.
    > 2) Perform data recovery on the 2nd drive to recover the files that were
    > deleted from the drive #1
    >
    > What I'm wondering is...will the 2nd drive still have all of the same
    > "recoverable data" that my recovery software found on the 'source drive'

    Again, only if you use the proper options.

    RwP

    Ralph W. Phillips, Jul 21, 2004
  7. Jason E

    °Mike° Guest

    On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 18:30:11 -0500, in
    <Xns952CBC3B69D3Foob@216.196.97.136>
    Jason E scrawled:

    >°Mike° <> wrote in
    >
    >> Why do you need to ghost? What recovery software
    >> are you using? GetDataBack will enable you to recover
    >> the files directly -- just boot from drive #2 with drive #1
    >> as slave.

    >Why do people always feel the need to answer simple questions with more
    >questions and unrelated suggestions? I need the ghost because I need to buy
    >time. Ghosting was one of the ways I could do it. I have software that does
    >exactly what you're describing, but I can't do it right this second for
    >reasons I'm not going to get into.

    Well, bite me for not dusting off my crystal ball.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jul 21, 2004