    thanks.

    --

    MESSAGE ENDS
    Gamma Eridon, Jan 15, 2009

  2. In article <gkn8t0$q4n$>,
    www.GymRatZ.co.uk <> wrote:
    >Gamma Eridon wrote:
    >
    >> I am wondering if it is possible to run a credit card terminal over a
    >> VOIP connection such as Sipgate. AFAIK the terminal uses a standard
    >> analogue modem.

    >I wouldn't.

    Me neither.

    While I've sent FAXes over VoIP using ATAs and ordinary fax machines
    with a good deal of success, I'd not recomend it for "real" use.

    >It may be possible like sending faxes is possible. Whether it's reliable
    >and it's definately not going to be secure.

    No less secure than an analogue phone line - actually probably moreso. I'd
    also like to think that the terminal device encrypts the data during
    the transation with the bank too.

    >I would think you ran risk the wrath of the Card Terminal Bank for
    >jeopardising card data security.

    It's laughable though - called your credit card company recently?

    "Please use the phone keypad to enter your credit card number"

    So it's then sent using DTMF tones which are trivial to decode on
    an analogue line!

    >For the sake of a few pence per transaction or less it's not worth the
    >hassle or the risk. I wouldn't be happy spending my money with a company
    >that knowingly compimised my card security.

    If you have ADSL, plug it into the BT socket, along with the FAX machine.

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Jan 15, 2009

  3. Gamma Eridon

    Tim Guest

    Gamma Eridon wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am wondering if it is possible to run a credit card terminal over a
    > VOIP connection such as Sipgate. AFAIK the terminal uses a standard
    > analogue modem.

    We tried ours, and it was a bit flaky. Worked like 80% of the time.

    It isn't something i'd recommend.

    Our credit card machine is nomore, and we use a virtual terminal from
    the same people who provide our website card processing.

    Tim
    Tim, Jan 15, 2009
  4. Tim <> wrote:
    > We tried ours, and it was a bit flaky. Worked like 80% of the time.
    >
    > It isn't something i'd recommend.

    If the VOIP connection supports V.150 it may work (it's designed for
    modem-modem over VOIP) but you won't find many VOIP providers offering this
    at the moment.

    Theo
    Theo Markettos, Jan 16, 2009