    Sue Bilstein Guest

    How hard would it be to get a data feed out of a GPS - position etc - in a
    form that could be recorded?

    Sue Bilstein, Aug 21, 2003

  2. Sue Bilstein

    David Pears Guest

    On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 22:54:58 +1200, "Sue Bilstein"
    <> wrote:

    >How hard would it be to get a data feed out of a GPS - position etc - in a
    >form that could be recorded?

    Most GPS sets can dump information, including real time information,
    using a standard marine electronics protocol. There is lots of
    software around that interfaces GPS, marine charts programs,
    electronic compasses, depth finders, wind direction gizmos etc. I
    presume that you could also find programs to just log the output in to
    a text file or something.

    IIRC, the protocol is called NMEA.

    David

    David Pears, Aug 21, 2003

  3. Sue Bilstein

    Rupert Guest

    dead easy - just use something like hyperterminal to get the data, however
    you would probably be better using something like oziexplorer from
    www.oziexplorer.com - allows you to georeference maps, over lay tracks, way
    point and route plan as well as a moving map.

    IMHO one of the best product out there and not expensive either!

    Rupert, Aug 21, 2003
  4. Sue Bilstein

    goneill Guest

    Not a problem to capture the data stream ,Gliding and GA aircraft use both
    dedicated and pocket pc computers
    to provide realtime outputs of height,distance to target direct and round
    turnpoints,wind direction and speed,l/d ratio ,height required
    countdowns,plus a lot of other info derived from the gps combined with other
    instrument outputs.
    Gliding is now looking and testing the new cf card type of gps which just
    plug into your pocket pc
    gary

    goneill, Aug 21, 2003
  5. "Sue Bilstein" <> wrote in message
    > How hard would it be to get a data feed out of a GPS - position etc - in a
    > form that could be recorded?

    Look for NMEA, which describes the messages sent by most of the GPS products
    around.

    --
    Mauricio Freitas
    mobility, wireless, handhelds: http://www.geekzone.co.nz

    Mauricio Freitas, Aug 21, 2003
  6. Sue Bilstein

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    "Sue Bilstein" <> wrote in

    > How hard would it be to get a data feed out of a GPS - position etc -
    > in a form that could be recorded?

    You could use TUMONZ www.tumonz.co.nz it is a complete map of NZ starting
    price $95 - but may be that has more features than you want. I have a copy
    but haven't tried the GPS tracking and recording but basically it allows
    you to up and down load way points and track live on the map - providing
    you have a laptop/notebook etc.

    --
    Chris Mayhew using Xnews !

    Chris Mayhew, Aug 21, 2003
  7. Sue Bilstein

    Sue Bilstein Guest

    Possible proof of speed (Re: Data output from GPS)

    "goneill" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > "Sue Bilstein" <> wrote in message
    > > How hard would it be to get a data feed out of a GPS - position etc - in a
    > > form that could be recorded?
    > >

    > Not a problem to capture the data stream ,Gliding and GA aircraft use both
    > dedicated and pocket pc computers
    > to provide realtime outputs of height,distance to target direct and round
    > turnpoints,wind direction and speed,l/d ratio ,height required
    > countdowns,plus a lot of other info derived from the gps combined with other
    > instrument outputs.
    > Gliding is now looking and testing the new cf card type of gps which just
    > plug into your pocket pc

    Thanks to all who replied.

    In another recent thread people commented that in speeding cases it's
    your word against the cop's. Surely this sort of data output from GPS
    would give a proof of speed - if you can capture position at time.

    Free idea for whoever might want to use it.

    Sue Bilstein, Aug 22, 2003
  8. Re: Possible proof of speed (Re: Data output from GPS)

    Sue Bilstein wrote:
    > "goneill" <> wrote in message
    >> "Sue Bilstein" <> wrote in message
    >>> How hard would it be to get a data feed out of a GPS - position etc
    >>> - in a form that could be recorded?
    >>>

    >> Not a problem to capture the data stream ,Gliding and GA aircraft
    >> use both dedicated and pocket pc computers
    >> to provide realtime outputs of height,distance to target direct and
    >> round turnpoints,wind direction and speed,l/d ratio ,height required
    >> countdowns,plus a lot of other info derived from the gps combined
    >> with other instrument outputs.
    >> Gliding is now looking and testing the new cf card type of gps which
    >> just plug into your pocket pc

    > Thanks to all who replied.
    >
    > In another recent thread people commented that in speeding cases it's
    > your word against the cop's. Surely this sort of data output from GPS
    > would give a proof of speed - if you can capture position at time.
    >
    > Free idea for whoever might want to use it.

    From the police's point of view, information from a computer that you own is
    just as trustworthy as you saying "But officer, I'm sure I never went over
    50!"

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Aug 22, 2003
  9. Re: Possible proof of speed (Re: Data output from GPS)

    In nz.general gblack <> wrote:

    > "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message

    > : From the police's point of view, information from a computer that
    > you own is
    > : just as trustworthy as you saying "But officer, I'm sure I never
    > went over
    > : 50!"
    > :
    > the operative phrase is GPS...
    > the unit would be in your car

    And this would be evidence of what?

    Geoff McCaughan, Aug 22, 2003
  10. Re: Possible proof of speed (Re: Data output from GPS)

    gblack wrote:

    > "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    >> From the police's point of view, information from a computer that
    >> you own is just as trustworthy as you saying "But officer, I'm sure
    >> I never went over 50!"
    >>

    > the operative phrase is GPS...
    > the unit would be in your car

    And your point would be?

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Aug 22, 2003
  11. Sue Bilstein

    Sue Bilstein Guest

    "Geoff McCaughan" <> wrote in message
    > In nz.general gblack <> wrote:
    > > "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message

    > > : From the police's point of view, information from a computer that
    > > you own is
    > > : just as trustworthy as you saying "But officer, I'm sure I never
    > > went over
    > > : 50!"
    > > :
    > > the operative phrase is GPS...
    > > the unit would be in your car

    > And this would be evidence of what?

    Your speed being 100km/h +/- 5km/h at the time when the officer says you
    were doing 130km/h, for instance.

    The GPS and the recording device would need to be tested and tamper-proof.

    Sue Bilstein, Aug 22, 2003
  12. Sue Bilstein

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Sue Bilstein wrote:

    > How hard would it be to get a data feed out of a GPS - position etc - in a
    > form that could be recorded?

    There are dedicated GPS available to do just this, they just output a staedy
    stream of data via a RS232 interface. No display or controls.

    http://www.garmin.com/products/gps35/

    for details;

    http://vpizza.org/~jmeehan/balloon/

    for a *very* interesting application.

    -=rjh=-, Aug 22, 2003
  13. Sue Bilstein

    gblack Guest

    Re: Possible proof of speed (Re: Data output from GPS)

    --

    "Geoff McCaughan" <> wrote in message
    : In nz.general gblack <> wrote:
    :
    :
    : > "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    : > news:bi431i$n7j$...
    :
    : > : From the police's point of view, information from a computer
    that
    : > you own is
    : > : just as trustworthy as you saying "But officer, I'm sure I never
    : > went over
    : > : 50!"
    : > :
    : > the operative phrase is GPS...
    : > the unit would be in your car
    :
    : And this would be evidence of what?

    You would be able to 'play back' the distance under question and on
    the spot..
    You really don't know anything about GPS do you....
    :

    gblack, Aug 22, 2003
  14. Re: Possible proof of speed (Re: Data output from GPS)

    In <bi5tt0$65l$> gblack wrote:
    > "Geoff McCaughan" <> wrote in message
    >: In nz.general gblack <> wrote:
    >:
    >: > "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    >: > news:bi431i$n7j$...
    >:
    >: > : From the police's point of view, information from a computer
    > that
    >: > you own is
    >: > : just as trustworthy as you saying "But officer, I'm sure I never
    >: > went over
    >: > : 50!"
    >: > :
    >: > the operative phrase is GPS...
    >: > the unit would be in your car
    >:
    >: And this would be evidence of what?
    >
    > You would be able to 'play back' the distance under question and on
    > the spot..
    > You really don't know anything about GPS do you....

    But this would only work if the data recorder was in a sealed, tamper-
    proof box provided by the government and welded to your car, otherwise
    you could just reprogram it to record any data you liked!

    If you go that far, why bother having cops with speed detectors? Just
    program the recorder to automatically issue you a fine if you go over
    the speed limit :eek:)

    PS/2 Mouse Adapter for vintage Apple II or Mac
    order at http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz

    Roger Johnstone, Aug 23, 2003
  15. Sue Bilstein

    gblack Guest

    : >:
    : >: > : From the police's point of view, information from a computer
    : > that
    : >: > you own is
    : >: > : just as trustworthy as you saying "But officer, I'm sure I
    never
    : >: > went over
    : >: > : 50!"
    : >: > :
    : >: > the operative phrase is GPS...
    : >: > the unit would be in your car
    : >:
    : >: And this would be evidence of what?
    : >
    : > You would be able to 'play back' the distance under question and
    on
    : > the spot..
    : > You really don't know anything about GPS do you....
    :
    : But this would only work if the data recorder was in a sealed,
    tamper-
    : proof box provided by the government and welded to your car,
    otherwise
    : you could just reprogram it to record any data you liked!
    :
    : If you go that far, why bother having cops with speed detectors?
    Just
    : program the recorder to automatically issue you a fine if you go
    over
    : the speed limit :eek:)
    As I said before if you know anything of GPS you'd have other
    questions to ask...

    gblack, Aug 23, 2003
  16. Re: Possible proof of speed (Re: Data output from GPS)

    In <bi6sm0$jfn$> gblack wrote:

    > "Roger Johnstone" <> wrote in message
    > In <bi5tt0$65l$> gblack wrote:
    >>>
    >>> You would be able to 'play back' the distance under question and on
    >>> the spot..
    >>> You really don't know anything about GPS do you....

    >> But this would only work if the data recorder was in a sealed, tamper-
    >> proof box provided by the government and welded to your car,
    >> otherwise
    >> you could just reprogram it to record any data you liked!
    >>
    >> If you go that far, why bother having cops with speed detectors? Just
    >> program the recorder to automatically issue you a fine if you go over
    >> the speed limit :eek:)

    > As I said before if you know anything of GPS you'd have other
    > questions to ask...

    1. You did say that, but not to me, it was to someone else.
    2. I do know something about GPS. Maybe not a lot, but enough. I've
    interfaced several computers to GPS receivers, written a program for an
    NMEA data converter, sold (and used) many different models of GPS
    receivers, and even repaired some. With the piddling bit of knowledge
    that I do have, I know that the only thing a GPS receiver can work out
    is it's position and the time. Any speed and heading it may show are
    calculated from that. Yes, you could show someone your GPS with your
    position, heading and speed all recorded once a second, but why would
    they believe it? Look at all the problems the police have proving in
    court that their recording equipment is correct!
    3. I didn't ask any questions at all.

    Roger Johnstone, Aug 23, 2003
  17. Sue Bilstein

    T-Boy Guest

    Re: Possible proof of speed (Re: Data output from GPS)

    In article <bi5tt0$65l$>,
    says...

    > --
    >

    > "Geoff McCaughan" <> wrote in message
    > : In nz.general gblack <> wrote:
    > :
    > :
    > : > "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    > : > news:bi431i$n7j$...
    > :
    > : > : From the police's point of view, information from a computer
    > that
    > : > you own is
    > : > : just as trustworthy as you saying "But officer, I'm sure I never
    > : > went over
    > : > : 50!"
    > : > :
    > : > the operative phrase is GPS...
    > : > the unit would be in your car
    > :
    > : And this would be evidence of what?
    >
    > You would be able to 'play back' the distance under question and on
    > the spot..
    > You really don't know anything about GPS do you....

    I'm sure Geoff will correct me if I'm wrong - but he works for
    Trimble Navigation - so I'd say yer wrong.

    --
    Duncan

    T-Boy, Aug 24, 2003
  18. Sue Bilstein

    T-Boy Guest

    Re: Possible proof of speed (Re: Data output from GPS)

    In article <bi5u0u$69d$>,
    says...

    > --
    >
    > "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    > : gblack wrote:
    > : >
    > : > "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    > : > news:bi431i$n7j$...
    > : >> From the police's point of view, information from a computer that
    > : >> you own is just as trustworthy as you saying "But officer, I'm
    > sure
    > : >> I never went over 50!"
    > : >>
    > : > the operative phrase is GPS...
    > : > the unit would be in your car
    > :
    > : And your point would be?
    > :
    >
    > You have an immediate record of that distance and GPS enables you to
    > 'play back' or even print a map/time/distance on the spot....

    who cares about map/time/distance - most GPS's (eg Garmin III)
    have speed displayed on 'em.

    --
    Duncan

    T-Boy, Aug 24, 2003
  19. Sue Bilstein

    David Pears Guest

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 21:18:54 +1200, T-Boy <> wrote:

    >> : And your point would be?
    >> :
    >>
    >> You have an immediate record of that distance and GPS enables you to
    >> 'play back' or even print a map/time/distance on the spot....

    >who cares about map/time/distance - most GPS's (eg Garmin III)
    >have speed displayed on 'em.

    And it seems likely that when it is time to show your GPS to the Road
    Nazi, then the speed displayed will be 0.

    David

    David Pears, Aug 24, 2003
  20. Sue Bilstein

    T-Boy Guest

    Re: Possible proof of speed (Re: Data output from GPS)

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 21:18:54 +1200, T-Boy <> wrote:
    >
    > >> : And your point would be?
    > >> :
    > >>
    > >> You have an immediate record of that distance and GPS enables you to
    > >> 'play back' or even print a map/time/distance on the spot....

    > >who cares about map/time/distance - most GPS's (eg Garmin III)
    > >have speed displayed on 'em.

    > And it seems likely that when it is time to show your GPS to the Road
    > Nazi, then the speed displayed will be 0.

    I would suggest you show them the speed you captured when you
    got "radared".

    --
    Duncan

    T-Boy, Aug 24, 2003