    I have an external hard drive would it be better to use the external hard
    drive or just copy direct.
    My question is how and what do I need to make the transfer.
    brenda, Dec 19, 2007

  2. brenda

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 09:26:44 GMT, brenda wrote:

    >I have resolved the issues from previous postings and now need to transfer

    What previous post? No reference linking back to it. Could have skipped
    mentioning it in a new topic :)

    >all the content of one laptop to another.

    What do you mean by all the content?

    Programs, unless they are standalone (which can simply be copied over)
    will need to be reinstalled.

    >One laptop is running vista the other XP.
    >I have an external hard drive would it be better to use the external hard
    >drive or just copy direct.

    Use the ext. drive.

    >My question is how and what do I need to make the transfer.

    Other methods would usually include,
    usb stick
    cd/dvd
    network connection.

    Copying files for mail, browser, bookmarks and usenet readers are all
    same. You simply copy the files over.

    The issues are what programs you are going from and those to.

    i.e. From IE6
    Microsoft Internet Explorer
    File / Import and Export
    use Export Favorites and Export Cookies

    From Powermarks (my bookmark manager)
    File / Export

    How about Forte Agent
    I install a clean copy on the new PC, and copy over the Data folder,
    or even easier
    Copy over the entire Program Files\Agent folder with out a reinstall.
    or even backup the messages
    File / Save Messages As then
    why?, Dec 19, 2007

  3. brenda

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 09:26:44 GMT, brenda wrote:

    Oops hit send instead of file....

    >I have resolved the issues from previous postings and now need to transfer
    >all the content of one laptop to another.
    >One laptop is running vista the other XP.
    >I have an external hard drive would it be better to use the external hard
    >drive or just copy direct.
    >My question is how and what do I need to make the transfer.

    How about Forte Agent
    I install a clean copy on the new PC, and copy over the Data folder,
    or even easier
    Copy over the entire Program Files\Agent folder with out a reinstall.
    or even backup the messages
    File / Save Messages As then File / Import
    there is also
    File / Addresses Import and Export
    File / Newsrc Import and Export

    Me
    why?, Dec 19, 2007
  4. brenda

    PeeCee Guest

    "brenda" <> wrote in message
    >I have resolved the issues from previous postings and now need to transfer
    > all the content of one laptop to another.
    > One laptop is running vista the other XP.
    > I have an external hard drive would it be better to use the external hard
    > drive or just copy direct.
    > My question is how and what do I need to make the transfer.

    Brenda

    Either get yourself a 'crossover' LAN cable then type 'transfer files and
    settings' into Vista's help and support.
    Or
    Simply copy all your personal data from your XP Laptop to the External Hard
    drive, then copy it to the new Laptop.

    If I may I would strongly suggest the later as a way of helping you to
    define what data is important to you and more importantly where it is and
    how to back it up.

    The 'usual' objects to backup are:

    My Documents
    Emails & Address Book if you use Outlook Express.
    Outlook pst file if you use Outlook.
    Browser Favourites/Bookmarks.
    Plus any bespoke software like accountancy packages, business specialty
    software etc.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Dec 19, 2007