    retrieve it?
    Thanks
    Michael

    michael, Nov 29, 2007

  2. michael

    pcbuilder.98 Guest

    "michael" <> wrote in message
    news:1Ws3j.4394$...
    > Hello
    > I have a lot of data stored on CDs and have noticed lately that much of

    the
    > data is simply disappearing.
    > Some of the CDs show as blank when inserted into my PC.
    > I have tried using different PCs, but all show the data gone.
    > I have burnt these CDs using Roxio application.
    > What is the cause that makes the data to disappear, and is there a way to
    > retrieve it?
    > Thanks
    > Michael

    You are using inferior / defective media and your data may be (probably is)
    permanently lost. Use Verbatim. Available here:
    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=A0199695&cs=19&c=us&l=en
    or here:
    http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=50284347&pfp=BROWSE
    I have CD-RW disks that are eight years old. Some of them have data I burned
    five years ago. They still retain all of the data I burned then.
    --
    pcbuilder98

    pcbuilder.98, Nov 29, 2007

  3. michael

    Guest

    "michael" <> wrote:

    >Hello
    >I have a lot of data stored on CDs and have noticed lately that much of the
    >data is simply disappearing.
    >Some of the CDs show as blank when inserted into my PC.
    >I have tried using different PCs, but all show the data gone.
    >I have burnt these CDs using Roxio application.
    >What is the cause that makes the data to disappear, and is there a way to
    >retrieve it?
    >Thanks
    >Michael

    Isobuster is a good program to use
    http://www.isobuster.com/

    It's been awhile, I think it's free to try but cost to do any of the
    advanced options.
    --

    2007’s cradle-robbing Female Teachers
    http://dirtywriter.net/?page_id=325

    , Nov 29, 2007
  4. michael

    Tony Guest

    This question can best be answered by the newsgroup expert Sam Hong
    on alt.comp.periphs.cdr

    Tony, Nov 29, 2007
  5. michael

    Tony Guest

    Try this: Dead Disk Doctor Plus Multilingual v1.26

    Tony, Nov 29, 2007
  6. michael

    thanatoid Guest

    "pcbuilder.98" <pcbuilder.98@_.com> wrote in

    > "michael" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello
    >> I have a lot of data stored on CDs and have noticed lately
    >> that much of

    > the
    >> data is simply disappearing.
    >> Some of the CDs show as blank when inserted into my PC.
    >> I have tried using different PCs, but all show the data
    >> gone. I have burnt these CDs using Roxio application.
    >> What is the cause that makes the data to disappear, and is
    >> there a way to retrieve it?
    >> Thanks
    >> Michael
    >>

    > You are using inferior / defective media and your data may
    > be (probably is) permanently lost. Use Verbatim. Available
    > here:
    > http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=A0
    > 199695&cs=19&c=us&l=en or here:
    > http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_cod
    > e=50284347&pfp=BROWSE I have CD-RW disks that are eight
    > years old. Some of them have data I burned five years ago.
    > They still retain all of the data I burned then.

    I understand CD-RW's are sturdier than CD-R's and this may
    account for your experience - although I have 11 (or so) year
    old Quantegy (Ampex) CD-R's burned on the first HP burners that
    came out and they still work just fine.

    Anyway, ALL CD-R's (quality brands, anyway) burned and handled
    PROPERLY are supposed to last about a hundred years, aren't
    they?

    This of course is an endless debate, but I never ever liked
    Verbatim, even when they made floppies. I buy TDK's from Costco
    - Costco is cheap and eliminates the time wasted deciding which
    of the 5 - or 60 - choices to go with - they usually just carry
    the best brands. So far, not a single bad TDK disc in 3 or 4
    hundred. I would perhaps buy Fuji but can't get them here. Have
    used Maxell 650's in the past, about 5 years ago - they're still
    fine. Can't find ANY 650 CD-R's any more.

    I still have 3M and Fuji floppies from 15 years ago (or more)
    and they work fine - that's what we used to buy at work and
    SOMEHOW a lot of them ended up in my house ;-#

    I *don't understand* people buying stuff like Princo or even
    Memorex - what's 5 (or even 10 !!!) cents vs. 700 MB of data
    which MAY actually be of some importance?

    OP:

    I have several rules about burning:

    1. Use quality media.
    2. Burn at lower speeds. I burn CD-R's at 4 or 8x and CD-RW's at
    4.
    3. Always make an ISO file on a defragged partition and burn
    THAT (a good program lets you do that, in fact will recommend
    that you do so).
    4. Don't do ANYTHING else on the computer while burning. I even
    turn off the wallpaper changer and screensaver.
    5. I always use the "verify disc" option AND I even check a few
    files manually afterwards. If you didn't do either your discs
    may have been badly burned (so to speak) to begin with.

    You MAY be able to recover your stuff by going to one of the
    data recovery companies that advertise in the back of computer
    magazines, but it will cost you plenty.

    thanatoid, Nov 29, 2007
  7. michael

    Tony Guest

    You're not qualified to answer this question. His whole problem is he used Roxio
    products so your answer is invalid. You need to do a goggle search for the name Sam
    Hong. I taught Sam well after i briefly left the newsgroup alt.comp.periphs.cdr

    Tony, Nov 29, 2007
  8. michael

    pcbuilder.98 Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in message
    > "pcbuilder.98" wrote:
    > > "michael" <> wrote in message
    > > > Hello
    > > > I have a lot of data stored on CDs and have noticed lately that much

    of
    > > the
    > > > data is simply disappearing.
    > > > Some of the CDs show as blank when inserted into my PC.
    > > > I have tried using different PCs, but all show the data gone.
    > > > I have burnt these CDs using Roxio application.
    > > > What is the cause that makes the data to disappear, and is there a way

    > > > retrieve it?
    > > > Thanks
    > > > Michael
    > > >

    > > You are using inferior / defective media and your data may be (probably

    is)
    > > permanently lost. Use Verbatim. Available here:

    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=A0199695&cs=19&c=us&l=en
    > > or here:

    http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=50284347&pfp=BROWSE
    > > I have CD-RW disks that are eight years old. Some of them have data I

    burned
    > > five years ago. They still retain all of the data I burned then.
    > > --
    > > pcbuilder98

    > You're not qualified to answer this question.

    How about warning me before you make me spew coffee all over my keyboard?

    > His whole problem is he used Roxio
    > products so your answer is invalid.

    While your problem is painfully obvious.

    > You need to do a goggle search for the name Sam
    > Hong.

    When pigs fly.

    > I taught Sam well after i briefly left the newsgroup alt.comp.periphs.cdr

    I hope you will do us the favor of leaving very soon.

    > --
    > Regards Tony... Making usenet better for everyone everyday

    Exactly how far up your ass is your head anyway?
    --
    pcbuilder98

    pcbuilder.98, Nov 29, 2007
  9. michael

    pcbuilder.98 Guest

    "thanatoid" <> wrote in message
    > "pcbuilder.98" <pcbuilder.98@_.com> wrote in
    > > "michael" <> wrote in message
    > >> Hello
    > >> I have a lot of data stored on CDs and have noticed lately
    > >> that much of

    > > the
    > >> data is simply disappearing.
    > >> Some of the CDs show as blank when inserted into my PC.
    > >> I have tried using different PCs, but all show the data
    > >> gone. I have burnt these CDs using Roxio application.
    > >> What is the cause that makes the data to disappear, and is
    > >> there a way to retrieve it?
    > >> Thanks
    > >> Michael
    > >>

    > > You are using inferior / defective media and your data may
    > > be (probably is) permanently lost. Use Verbatim. Available
    > > here:
    > > http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=A0
    > > 199695&cs=19&c=us&l=en or here:
    > > http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_cod
    > > e=50284347&pfp=BROWSE I have CD-RW disks that are eight
    > > years old. Some of them have data I burned five years ago.
    > > They still retain all of the data I burned then.

    > I understand CD-RW's are sturdier than CD-R's and this may
    > account for your experience - although I have 11 (or so) year
    > old Quantegy (Ampex) CD-R's burned on the first HP burners that
    > came out and they still work just fine.

    My primary use for CD/DVD is for backup. I always keep at least three backup
    sets on hand. When I create a new backup I erase the oldest and start the
    cycle again. Better for my wallet and better for the enviorment.

    I have never found a use for CD-R's. What do you use them for?

    I have yet to find a task that CD-R can do that CD-RW can't. Maybe I haven't
    looked hard enough.

    > Anyway, ALL CD-R's (quality brands, anyway) burned and handled
    > PROPERLY are supposed to last about a hundred years, aren't
    > they?

    I don't need my data to last that long so that's not a concern for me. My
    most important work, my art, is done on film and that will be here in one
    hundred years.

    > This of course is an endless debate, but I never ever liked
    > Verbatim, even when they made floppies. I buy TDK's from Costco
    > - Costco is cheap and eliminates the time wasted deciding which
    > of the 5 - or 60 - choices to go with - they usually just carry
    > the best brands. So far, not a single bad TDK disc in 3 or 4
    > hundred. I would perhaps buy Fuji but can't get them here. Have
    > used Maxell 650's in the past, about 5 years ago - they're still
    > fine. Can't find ANY 650 CD-R's any more.
    >
    > I still have 3M and Fuji floppies from 15 years ago (or more)
    > and they work fine - that's what we used to buy at work and
    > SOMEHOW a lot of them ended up in my house ;-#
    >
    > I *don't understand* people buying stuff like Princo or even
    > Memorex

    When I bought a Ultra Speed drive in '02 I bought twelve 24x Memorex CD-WR.
    Within a year all of then had failed. When I say failed I mean the drive
    acted as if I had put a piece of cardboard in the tray. Upon closer
    inspection I could see the Memorex logo had over time bleed through the
    recordable side of the disks. The disks self destructed. Thankfully I did
    not have occasion to need these disks to restore data.

    > - what's 5 (or even 10 !!!) cents vs. 700 MB of data
    > which MAY actually be of some importance?

    Indeed. Penny wise and pound foolish.
    --
    pcbuilder98

    pcbuilder.98, Nov 29, 2007
  10. michael

    TJ Guest

    > "thanatoid" <> wrote in message

    >> "pcbuilder.98" <pcbuilder.98@_.com> wrote in

    >> > "michael" <> wrote in message

    >> > the
    >> >>

    >> > You are using inferior / defective media and your data may
    >> > be (probably is) permanently lost. Use Verbatim. Available
    >> > here:
    >> > http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=A0
    >> > 199695&cs=19&c=us&l=en or here:
    >> > http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_cod
    >> > e=50284347&pfp=BROWSE I have CD-RW disks that are eight
    >> > years old. Some of them have data I burned five years ago.
    >> > They still retain all of the data I burned then.

    >> I understand CD-RW's are sturdier than CD-R's and this may
    >> account for your experience - although I have 11 (or so) year
    >> old Quantegy (Ampex) CD-R's burned on the first HP burners that
    >> came out and they still work just fine.

    > My primary use for CD/DVD is for backup. I always keep at least three
    > backup sets on hand. When I create a new backup I erase the oldest and
    > start the cycle again. Better for my wallet and better for the
    > enviorment.
    >
    > I have never found a use for CD-R's. What do you use them for?

    Can't speak for anybody else, but I use them for burning music CDs.

    > I have yet to find a task that CD-R can do that CD-RW can't. Maybe I
    > haven't looked hard enough.

    Either you don't listen to much music, or you have better equipment than
    I do. My home DVD/CD players do not recognize CD-RW nor do the (stock)
    CD players in either of my cars.

    All of the above will play CD-R no problem.

    TJ, Nov 29, 2007
  11. michael

    doS Guest

    aso buying new discs will get his old info back?

    doS, Nov 29, 2007
  12. "doS" <> wrote in message
    > "pcbuilder.98" <pcbuilder.98@_.com> wrote in message
    > > "michael" <> wrote in message
    > >> Hello
    > >> I have a lot of data stored on CDs and have noticed lately that much of

    > > the
    > >> data is simply disappearing.
    > >> Some of the CDs show as blank when inserted into my PC.
    > >> I have tried using different PCs, but all show the data gone.
    > >> I have burnt these CDs using Roxio application.
    > >> What is the cause that makes the data to disappear, and is there a way

    > >> retrieve it?
    > >> Thanks
    > >> Michael
    > >>

    > > You are using inferior / defective media and your data may be (probably
    > > is)
    > > permanently lost. Use Verbatim. Available here:

    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=A0199695&cs=19&c=us&l=en
    > > or here:

    http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=50284347&pfp=BROWSE
    > > I have CD-RW disks that are eight years old. Some of them have data I
    > > burned
    > > five years ago. They still retain all of the data I burned then.
    > > --
    > > pcbuilder98
    > >

    > aso buying new discs will get his old info back?

    Where did I say that?
    --
    pcbuilder98

    pc.builder.98, Nov 29, 2007
  13. michael

    thanatoid Guest

    "doS" <> wrote in

    > aso buying new discs will get his old info back?
    >
    > "pcbuilder.98" <pcbuilder.98@_.com> wrote in message
    >> "michael" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hello
    >>> I have a lot of data stored on CDs and have noticed
    >>> lately that much of

    <SNIP>

    If you're gonna reply to a non-question without even copying
    whatever it is that you ARE replying to, not to mention top-
    posting (what the hell, I mentioned it!) then don't expect an
    answer. I'm surprised you didn't get insults.

    Read about Usenet etiquette before you visit again, please.

    Regards
    t.

    thanatoid, Nov 29, 2007
  14. michael

    thanatoid Guest

    "pcbuilder.98" <pcbuilder.98@_.com> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    > My primary use for CD/DVD is for backup. I always keep at
    > least three backup sets on hand.

    That's very commendable, seriously. More people should do that -
    VERY few do, judging by the posts here.

    > When I create a new backup
    > I erase the oldest and start the cycle again. Better for my
    > wallet and better for the enviorment.

    Sure, but have you noticed CD-RW's last nowhere near the 1000
    times cycle the manuf's claim?

    > I have never found a use for CD-R's. What do you use them
    > for?

    Well, frankly, since even with my slow-speed habit, they are 2
    times faster (and MUCH faster for other people) and cost a lot
    less than CD-RW (which are also beginning to be hard to find
    since DVD-RW's came out), I do my "once or twice a year" backup
    on CD-R's. :)

    > I have yet to find a task that CD-R can do that CD-RW
    > can't. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough.

    There isn't one, RW is a superior technology in that a) it
    allows re-writing b) is more sturdy.

    Still, for *permanent* backup (or storage) and things like
    creating a music collection quality brand CD-R's are the medium
    of choice. I have almost 200 mp3 CD-R's.

    >> Anyway, ALL CD-R's (quality brands, anyway) burned and
    >> handled PROPERLY are supposed to last about a hundred
    >> years, aren't they?

    > I don't need my data to last that long

    I don't know ANYONE that does, just saying they are supposed to
    LAST :)

    > so that's not a
    > concern for me. My most important work, my art, is done on
    > film and that will be here in one hundred years.

    I happen to know quite a bit about film, and:

    a) if you work anywhere near Los Angeles or Vancouver and use
    Panavision cameras and not Bolexes or Eclairs, you are nowhere
    near an artist, sorry. (Can you sense a slight prejudice here?)

    b) photo and motion picture film will not last *anywhere near* a
    hundred years unless it is guarded by a triple 100% air- and
    humidity-proof enclosure and stored in refrigeration at about
    4°C. (No prejudice, just the facts.)

    <SNIP>

    >> I *don't understand* people buying stuff like Princo or
    >> even Memorex

    > When I bought a Ultra Speed drive in '02 I bought twelve
    > 24x Memorex CD-WR. Within a year all of then had failed.
    > When I say failed I mean the drive acted as if I had put a
    > piece of cardboard in the tray. Upon closer inspection I
    > could see the Memorex logo had over time bleed through the
    > recordable side of the disks. The disks self destructed.
    > Thankfully I did not have occasion to need these disks to
    > restore data.

    WOW. That is an amazing story! I have ALWAYS hated Memorex ever
    since that super-famous and super-deceptive wine glass
    commercial (almost ANY audio recording medium - probably
    including a pianola roll - can produce the exact frequency
    required to shatter a thin wine glass) but this really takes the
    cake!

    >> - what's 5 (or even 10 !!!) cents vs. 700 MB of data
    >> which MAY actually be of some importance?
    >>

    > Indeed. Penny wise and pound foolish.

    It's INCREDIBLE how many people buy Princo and other crap like
    it.

    Regards,
    t.

    thanatoid, Nov 29, 2007
  15. michael

    Plato Guest

    michael wrote:

    > I have a lot of data stored on CDs and have noticed lately that much of the
    > data is simply disappearing.

    In the future, always test the cds you made for backups "before" you
    really need them.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Nov 30, 2007
  16. michael

    Mitch Guest

    In article <Xns99F713CC817F3thanexit@66.250.146.158>, thanatoid
    <> wrote:

    > I *don't understand* people buying stuff like Princo or even
    > Memorex - what's 5 (or even 10 !!!) cents vs. 700 MB of data
    > which MAY actually be of some importance?

    The reason is that the quality, reputation, and reliability are NOT
    known by everybody -- quite the opposite.

    I would suggest VERY FEW people know which brands are better.

    I would even gamble that if people named the top three they were sure
    to be the best, we'd get a pretty long list of 'top threes.'

    Mitch, Dec 1, 2007
  17. michael

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, pcbuilder.98
    <pcbuilder.98@_.com> wrote:

    > I have never found a use for CD-R's. What do you use them for?

    They are less expensive than CD-RW.
    They work in more players.

    > I have yet to find a task that CD-R can do that CD-RW can't. Maybe I haven't
    > looked hard enough.
    >
    > > Anyway, ALL CD-R's (quality brands, anyway) burned and handled
    > > PROPERLY are supposed to last about a hundred years, aren't
    > > they?

    > I don't need my data to last that long so that's not a concern for me. My
    > most important work, my art, is done on film and that will be here in one
    > hundred years.

    HUH?
    Who the HELL told you that?

    If you are around the film or music industry at all, you should know of
    the desperately anxious work going on the preserve and retrieve all the
    damage to older film and music. Heck, some multitrack sound tape will
    degrade in just a few years! (How impressive is that film going to be
    if the soundtrack is entirely lost?)

    If you want your stuff to be safe over much time, it has to be digital,
    for one simple fact: duplication can be exact.

    Mitch, Dec 1, 2007
  18. michael

    p.cbuilder98 Guest

    Mitch <> wrote in
    > In article <>, pcbuilder.98
    > <pcbuilder.98@_.com> wrote:
    >> > Anyway, ALL CD-R's (quality brands, anyway) burned and handled
    >> > PROPERLY are supposed to last about a hundred years, aren't
    >> > they?

    >> I don't need my data to last that long so that's not a concern for
    >> me. My most important work, my art, is done on film and that will be
    >> here in one hundred years.

    > HUH?
    > Who the HELL told you that?
    >
    > If you are around the film or music industry at all, you should know
    > of the desperately anxious work going on the preserve and retrieve all
    > the damage to older film and music. Heck, some multitrack sound tape
    > will degrade in just a few years! (How impressive is that film going
    > to be if the soundtrack is entirely lost?)

    You are ignorant of my point on that subject and you may remain so.

    > If you want your stuff to be safe over much time, it has to be
    > digital, for one simple fact: duplication can be exact.

    How impressive will a DVD be in 100 years when even the Smithsonian no
    longer has a functioning drive to read it? Who will keep duplicating your
    data from one obsolete media or OS to the next on and on into the future?
    Assuming that the digital media you choose doesn't fail or get corrupted or
    get infected etc, etc, etc.

    --
    pcbuilder98

    p.cbuilder98, Dec 3, 2007
  19. michael

    > Mitch <> wrote in
    >>>
    >>> I don't need my data to last that long so that's not a
    >>> concern for me. My most important work, my art, is done
    >>> on film and that will be here in one hundred years.

    >> HUH?
    >> Who the HELL told you that?
    >>
    >> If you are around the film or music industry at all, you
    >> should know of the desperately anxious work going on the
    >> preserve and retrieve all the damage to older film and
    >> music. Heck, some multitrack sound tape will degrade in
    >> just a few years! (How impressive is that film going to be
    >> if the soundtrack is entirely lost?)

    > You are ignorant of my point on that subject and you may
    > remain so.

    He, like I did, is solely addressing your ridiculous claim that
    "film" lasts a hundred years. In fact, I didn't bother
    correcting it, but even in the refrigerated storage I mentioned,
    film will /probably/ not be much good in 100 years, and stored
    in a California room temperature/humidity conditions, it will be
    a gooey mess in 50 years max.

    >> If you want your stuff to be safe over much time, it has
    >> to be digital, for one simple fact: duplication can be
    >> exact.

    > How impressive will a DVD be in 100 years when even the
    > Smithsonian no longer has a functioning drive to read it?
    > Who will keep duplicating your data from one obsolete media
    > or OS to the next on and on into the future?

    Here you DO have a valid point. Degradation of digital data - as
    opposed to making reprints from an old print - is SO lossy.

    (This is called sarcasm in case you thought I was serious.)

    > Assuming that
    > the digital media you choose doesn't fail or get corrupted
    > or get infected etc, etc, etc.

    OTOH, 8mm, 9.5mm and 17.5mm film projectors are still being made
    (and all the prints are still good to run), and so will 16, 35,
    and 70mm ones, FOREVER, right? And the new U-Matic® machines on
    the market still play ALL U-Matic® tapes perfectly, right?

    Sigh.

    thanatoid, Dec 3, 2007
  20. michael

    p.cbuilder98 Guest

    thanatoid <> wrote in
    > "p.cbuilder98" <p.cbuilder98@_.com> wrote in
    >
    > > I don't need my data to last that long so that's not a
    > > concern for me. My most important work, my art, is done
    > > on film and that will be here in one hundred years.

    > He, like I did, is solely addressing your ridiculous claim that
    > "film" lasts a hundred years. In fact, I didn't bother
    > correcting it, but even in the refrigerated storage I mentioned,
    > film will /probably/ not be much good in 100 years, and stored
    > in a California room temperature/humidity conditions, it will be
    > a gooey mess in 50 years max.

    Lets skip to the chase. My 30 years old prints and negatives are pristine.
    Let me say that again so even you can understand it. For my purposes my 30
    year old prints and negatives are perfect. If you don't want to believe me
    that is your choice.

    For my purposes I believe that those prints and negatives stand a good
    chance of lasting another 70 years. Again if you don't want to believe me
    that is your choice.

    As for digital data IIRC you yourself said few people do proper backups.
    Anyone who has a hard drive failure which IIRC you said includes you and if
    those people don't backup then their data is permanently lost. How
    impressive is that digital media then?

    --
    pcbuilder98

    p.cbuilder98, Dec 4, 2007