data/control plane

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by headsetadapter.com, Jun 22, 2007.

  1. Roman,

    You have individual components within the switch (line cards, supervisor
    modules, individual components, etc.). They communicate to each other
    through a "backplane" (or dataplane, controlplane). These "communication
    channels" have certain capacity (for example, 300 GBit/Second). It defines
    how much data can go internally between components.

    Good luck,

    Mike
    CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, Cisco Voice, MCSE W2K, MCSE+I, Security+, etc.
    CCIE R&S (in progress), CCIE Voice (in progress)
    ------
    Headset Adapters for Cisco IP Phones
    www.ciscoheadsetadapter.com
    www.headsetadapter.com

    headsetadapter.com, Jun 22, 2007

  2. headsetadapter.com

    dman1973 Guest

    On Jun 22, 8:03 am, "headsetadapter.com" <> wrote:
    > Roman,
    >
    > You have individual components within the switch (line cards, supervisor
    > modules, individual components, etc.). They communicate to each other
    > through a "backplane" (or dataplane, controlplane). These "communication
    > channels" have certain capacity (for example, 300 GBit/Second). It defines
    > how much data can go internally between components.
    >
    > Good luck,
    >
    > Mike
    > CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, Cisco Voice, MCSE W2K, MCSE+I, Security+, etc.
    > CCIE R&S (in progress), CCIE Voice (in progress)
    > ------
    > Headset Adapters for Cisco IP Phoneswww.ciscoheadsetadapter.comwww.headsetadapter.com
    >
    > "Roman Mashak" <> wrote in message

    > > Hello,

    > > I often encounter on terms 'data plane', 'control plane' in Cisco
    > > literature or any other materials. But I failed to find clear explanation.
    > > Could someone give me links on the technical literature or explain those
    > > here?

    > > Thanks.

    > > --
    > > Best regards, Roman

    Data plane: determines data packet behavior
    Packet forwarding
    Packet differentiation (e.g., ACLs)
    Buffering, link scheduling

    Control plane: controls the state of network elements
    Route selection
    RSVP, capability signaling, etc.

    -Dan
    http://ccie-lounge.blogspot.com