    have a Data Center Edition of Windows 2003 R2 Data Center Edition?

    Thanks

    Louis

    =?Utf-8?B?TGFycnkgQmlyZA==?=, Oct 6, 2006

  2. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Oct 6, 2006

  3. Hello Louis,
    Data Center is a Server Sku.
    Vista is a client release, so no there will not be a Windows Vista
    DataCenter sku
    I am not sure that the list of editions for Windows Server Longhorn is
    available yet.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: =?Utf-8?B?TGFycnkgQmlyZA==?= <>
    <Subject: Data Center Edition of Vista
    <Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 13:33:02 -0700
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <Will we have a Data Center Edition of Vista in the near future? Just as
    we

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Oct 6, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?TGFycnkgQmlyZA==?=

    cluberti Guest

    As others have posted, Vista is a client OS and as such will not come in any
    server variants. Windows Server Longhorn (or whatever it will ultimately be
    called when it is released) will probably come in at least the same SKUs
    that exist with Server 2003, although it's highly likely that you will not
    see an ia64 (Itanium) version of Longhorn. Note that Windows Server 2003
    SP1 shipped for ia64, but Windows Server 2003 did not (hint, hint).

    cluberti, Oct 7, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?TGFycnkgQmlyZA==?=

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    I believe it has been announced that there *will* be an Itanium version of
    Longhorn Server.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Oct 7, 2006
  6. * Larry Bird:

    > Will we have a Data Center Edition of Vista in the near future? Just as we
    > have a Data Center Edition of Windows 2003 R2 Data Center Edition?

    Windows 2003 -> Server OS
    Vista -> successor of Windowsxp -> desktop OS

    Apples and oranges.

    There won't be a "Data Center Edition" of Vista as there never was a
    "Data Center Edition" of Windowsxp. There probably will a "Data Center
    Edition" of Longhorn Server as there is a "Data Center Edition" of
    Windows Server 2003...

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Oct 7, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?TGFycnkgQmlyZA==?=

    Nut Cracker Guest

    "cluberti" <> wrote in message
    > As others have posted, Vista is a client OS and as such will not come in
    > any server variants. Windows Server Longhorn (or whatever it will
    > ultimately be called when it is released) will probably come in at least
    > the same SKUs that exist with Server 2003, although it's highly likely
    > that you will not see an ia64 (Itanium) version of Longhorn. Note that
    > Windows Server 2003 SP1 shipped for ia64, but Windows Server 2003 did not
    > (hint, hint).

    you are incorrect.

    I manage several midrange and superdome implimentations, and when we
    launched these platforms they had RTM versions of Enterprise and Datacenter
    installed on them by the vendor, HP.

    - NuTs

    Nut Cracker, Oct 7, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?TGFycnkgQmlyZA==?=

    cluberti Guest

    Hm, I guess that's what I get for being buried in beta. Looks like Longhorn
    will ship for itanium (there was some doubt about that internally), but it
    will be limited to certain types of functionality. Interesting indeed.

    cluberti, Oct 7, 2006