    Windows MP cannot play them. Does anone know of a free converter?

    Thanks
    Simon

    Simon, Apr 18, 2006

  2. Simon

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Simon wrote:
    > Just downloaded a couple of films and when extracted they are in a .dat
    > format.
    >
    > Windows MP cannot play them. Does anone know of a free converter?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Simon

    You do not have to convert them. They are probably MPEG1 files from a
    VCD. Right click on filename, and choose "Open With" WMP or another
    media player.

    (You can even rename them to MPG and they will play fine.)

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Apr 18, 2006

  3. Simon

    Simon Guest

    "Oldus Fartus" <> wrote in message
    > Simon wrote:
    >> Just downloaded a couple of films and when extracted they are in a .dat
    >> format.
    >>
    >> Windows MP cannot play them. Does anone know of a free converter?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Simon

    > You do not have to convert them. They are probably MPEG1 files from a
    > VCD. Right click on filename, and choose "Open With" WMP or another
    > media player.
    >
    > (You can even rename them to MPG and they will play fine.)
    >
    > --
    > Cheers
    > Oldus Fartus

    When they are extracted they say they are .dat files but still will not open
    with WMP?????

    Simon, Apr 18, 2006
  4. Simon

    Gel Guest

    Their purpose is somewhat mysterious/worrying.
    Bill Gates will not reveal.

    You'll have to find some s/ware to remove as Windows doesnt allow
    removal.
    Google for "Index.dat suite" prog.

    That enables you to view/delete

    Gel, Apr 18, 2006
  5. Simon

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Simon wrote:
    > "Oldus Fartus" <> wrote in message
    >> Simon wrote:
    >>> Just downloaded a couple of films and when extracted they are in a .dat
    >>> format.
    >>>
    >>> Windows MP cannot play them. Does anone know of a free converter?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Simon

    >> You do not have to convert them. They are probably MPEG1 files from a
    >> VCD. Right click on filename, and choose "Open With" WMP or another
    >> media player.
    >>
    >> (You can even rename them to MPG and they will play fine.)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Cheers
    >> Oldus Fartus

    > When they are extracted they say they are .dat files but still will not open
    > with WMP?????

    Did you try either of the methods I gave you?

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Apr 19, 2006
  6. Simon

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Gel wrote:
    > Their purpose is somewhat mysterious/worrying.
    > Bill Gates will not reveal.
    >
    > You'll have to find some s/ware to remove as Windows doesnt allow
    > removal.
    > Google for "Index.dat suite" prog.
    >
    > That enables you to view/delete

    What on earth are you talking about?

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Apr 19, 2006
  7. Simon

    > Simon wrote:
    >> "Oldus Fartus" <> wrote in message

    >>> You do not have to convert them. They are probably MPEG1 files from a
    >>> VCD. Right click on filename, and choose "Open With" WMP or another
    >>> media player.
    >>>
    >>> (You can even rename them to MPG and they will play fine.)
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Cheers
    >>> Oldus Fartus

    >> When they are extracted they say they are .dat files but still will not
    >> open with WMP?????

    > Did you try either of the methods I gave you?
    >
    > --
    > Cheers
    > Oldus Fartus

    yes mate i did but still no joy :(

    Simon, Apr 19, 2006
  8. Simon

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Simon wrote:
    > "Oldus Fartus" <> wrote in message
    >> Simon wrote:
    >>> "Oldus Fartus" <> wrote in message

    >>> When they are extracted they say they are .dat files but still will not
    >>> open with WMP?????

    >> Did you try either of the methods I gave you?
    >>

    > yes mate i did but still no joy :(

    That is odd, what is the error message which WMP gives you? If they
    are something other than VCD you should get an error message of "Windows
    Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file
    type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file."

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Apr 20, 2006
  9. Simon

    bambam Guest

    "Simon" <> wrote in news:4ajul7Ft9eo7U1
    @individual.net:

    > Just downloaded a couple of films and when extracted they are in a .dat
    > format.
    >
    > Windows MP cannot play them. Does anone know of a free converter?

    Have a look at this program Simon, it should help identify the file.
    ..dat can be almost anything.

    http://mark0.net/soft-trid-e.html

    bambam, Apr 20, 2006