    why do some files that I send seem to transform themselves into dat files
    when I attach them to emails?? I've just sent a jpg to someone and a the
    other end it's a .dat!

    Mick, Apr 22, 2004

  2. Mick

    Thor Guest

    I've seen this happen with Outlook users when they send mail+attachments to
    non outlook users in rich text format. If you are using Outlook for your
    email, turn off the rich text setting, and send in plain text, instead.

    Thor, Apr 22, 2004

  3. Mick

    Plato Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > I've seen this happen with Outlook users when they send mail+attachments to
    > non outlook users in rich text format. If you are using Outlook for your
    > email, turn off the rich text setting, and send in plain text, instead.

    I wish plain text was the standard for email.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Apr 23, 2004
  4. Mick

    Rv! Guest

    ANyone who sends me a winmail.dat message get's this
    back from the server...

    Please read the following information. It is important to you as you are
    currently sending non-standard attachments. These attachments are only
    viewable in Outlook. I and very many others do not use Outlook therefore your
    attachments are complete useless to us.

    Please read the details below on how to fix the problem.

    From...
    http://www.brooklyn.com/theatre-sound/winmail.html

    You've got all these little "winmail.dat" files floating around, and you're wondering what they are, aren't you?
    Well, it's a special proprietary format that Microsoft uses to send formatted text, etc., from one Outlook user to another. It's not
    useful to anything but Outlook, and not really that useful there, either. It's sort of like "Rich Text Format" but different.
    If you send out winmail.dat attachments to mailing lists, you're likely to get a lot of angry mail back demanding you send your mail
    in "plain text and not html" -- to do that in Outlook, go to the address book, select the addressee (the mailing list posting
    address, for instance), click on that address, right-click and select "properties", then click the "Name" tab, and at the bottom
    you'll see a checkbox marked "send e-mail using plain text only" -- check that box, press OK, and you'll always send mail out to
    that address in plain text (you can over-ride it, if you need to, by going to the "Format" menu in a new-message form, and selecting
    "Rich Text (HTML)" instead of "plain text").

    How to turn off winmail.dat attachments

    In MS Outlook:
    On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Mail Format (or "Send") tab.
    In the Send in this message format list, select Plain Text, and then click OK.

    Thank you. This has been an automated response from my Mail Server.

    Robertv!

    Rv!, Apr 23, 2004