    My ISP in this case is Juno (v.5) and they will not
    respond to inquiries unless it is a paid subscription.

    Is anyone familiar with this issue?

    Hockey Buff, Oct 31, 2004

  2. Hockey Buff

    Buffalo Guest

    "Hockey Buff" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > I received an email attachment having the DAT extension
    > that seems unrecognizable. Web resources list 3 likely
    > possibilities:
    >

    > Exchange Server Error Message (WINMAIL.DAT) (Microsoft)
    > MS Word for DOS
    > Word Perfect Merge Data (Corel)
    >
    > I think I can safely eliminate the last two, having
    > tried recent reversion of both Word and Word Perfect,
    > leaving only the one -- whatever that refer to.
    >
    > My ISP in this case is Juno (v.5) and they will not
    > respond to inquiries unless it is a paid subscription.
    >
    > Is anyone familiar with this issue?

    DATs can be viruses.
    Scan it with several free online scanners before trying to open it again.
    "Online Antivirus scanners:
    --------------------------
    http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/ [See **]

    ** Caveat:
    http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/bugtraq/2003-07/0240.html

    There is a program on the following link that claims to :
    "Diablo Hack 206
    This is the best program for opening dat files, better than Doom Gaze."
    It may be able to do what you want.
    http://www.angelfire.com/d20/das_1/downloads.html

    Buffalo, Oct 31, 2004

  3. Hockey Buff

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 11:23:21 -0500, Hockey Buff wrote:

    >I received an email attachment having the DAT extension
    >that seems unrecognizable. Web resources list 3 likely
    >possibilities:
    >

    >Exchange Server Error Message (WINMAIL.DAT) (Microsoft)
    >MS Word for DOS
    >Word Perfect Merge Data (Corel)
    >
    >I think I can safely eliminate the last two, having
    >tried recent reversion of both Word and Word Perfect,
    >leaving only the one -- whatever that refer to.
    >
    >My ISP in this case is Juno (v.5) and they will not
    >respond to inquiries unless it is a paid subscription.
    >
    >Is anyone familiar with this issue?

    Yes, but I expect you want more than that?

    Used to get those at work a lot, 1/2 the company had an old email
    systems that didn't suffer from bad emails, the other 1/2 was on OL.

    From OL it always sent winmail.dat. The solution is to tell the sender
    to change thier settings, be polite and identify any attachments.

    Generally, it's a formatted version of the message.

    See www.google.com as usual,
    Web Results 1 - 10 of about 47,000 English pages for
    winmail.dat
    (0.66 seconds)

    Also search for Microsoft TNEF.

    Not only is there a lot of info there is a easy to find decoder utility
    for winmail.dat.

    Me

    why?, Oct 31, 2004
  4. Hockey Buff wrote:

    > I received an email attachment having the DAT extension
    > that seems unrecognizable. Web resources list 3 likely
    > possibilities:
    >

    > Exchange Server Error Message (WINMAIL.DAT) (Microsoft)
    > MS Word for DOS
    > Word Perfect Merge Data (Corel)

    Take a look at http://www.ust.hk/itsc/email/tips/tnef/
    and do as suggested. Before you try to open the attachment, don't forget to
    feed your virus scanner (after a fresh update) with that file, and also the
    extracted files.

    > Is anyone familiar with this issue?

    One of the many Outbug2000 annoyances ...
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.8reiser4pkt [LinuxCounter#295241]

    Walter Mautner, Oct 31, 2004
  5. Hockey Buff

    Dan Glybitz Guest

    > I received an email attachment having the DAT extension
    > that seems unrecognizable. Web resources list 3 likely
    > possibilities:
    >

    > Exchange Server Error Message (WINMAIL.DAT) (Microsoft)
    > MS Word for DOS
    > Word Perfect Merge Data (Corel)
    >
    > I think I can safely eliminate the last two, having
    > tried recent reversion of both Word and Word Perfect,
    > leaving only the one -- whatever that refer to.
    >
    > My ISP in this case is Juno (v.5) and they will not
    > respond to inquiries unless it is a paid subscription.
    >
    > Is anyone familiar with this issue?

    I have known of images sent with .dat extensions. Try renaming it with .jpg
    extension and viewing it.

    DG.

    Dan Glybitz, Nov 2, 2004
  6. Hockey Buff

    johnwalter

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    I will give you only one solution to download the Fileviewpro software for all files, I have already used it.
    file extension tif

    johnwalter, Aug 17, 2012