Dark pictures

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by szeik@hotmail.com, Nov 23, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hi,

    I just took a bunch of photos using our new sony dsc-p200 cybershot
    digital camera. I was in a school clasroom with flourescent lighting
    taking photos of my sons thanksgiving day show. It was really cute but
    the photos I took came out pretty poorly. Many of them are very dark
    with a kind of orange hue to the whole picture. I think I had the zoom
    at maximum for the photos that came out the darkest. I'm not positive
    about that.

    This is the first time I got really poor results like this so I am
    thinking that maybe somehow the camera got some setting switched.

    Any ideas what would cause dark photos in a setting that was reasonably
    well lit like this. I know that the flash was going off although I
    don't think it was creating much light from the distance I was shooting
    from which was about 15 to 20 feet away.

    Sometimes I notice an orange light come on before I shoot a picture.
    Can anyone tell me what that orange light is? This is something
    different than the redeye redcution pre-flashes which I also have
    turned on.

    Thanks for any info and suggestions on how to shoow better indoor
    pictures.

    Steve
    , Nov 23, 2005

  2. wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just took a bunch of photos using our new sony dsc-p200 cybershot
    > digital camera. I was in a school clasroom with flourescent lighting
    > taking photos of my sons thanksgiving day show. It was really cute but
    > the photos I took came out pretty poorly. Many of them are very dark
    > with a kind of orange hue to the whole picture. I think I had the zoom
    > at maximum for the photos that came out the darkest. I'm not positive
    > about that.

    Did you leave your flash on? If you use your flash, many of those Point
    and Shoot cameras will assume the subject will be brighter and will stop
    down the lens some. In other words, it under exposes. Try increasing
    the ISO to something like 400 and do not use flash on anything that is
    farther away than about 10 or 15 feet.

    > This is the first time I got really poor results like this so I am
    > thinking that maybe somehow the camera got some setting switched.
    >
    > Any ideas what would cause dark photos in a setting that was reasonably
    > well lit like this. I know that the flash was going off although I
    > don't think it was creating much light from the distance I was shooting
    > from which was about 15 to 20 feet away.
    >
    > Sometimes I notice an orange light come on before I shoot a picture.
    > Can anyone tell me what that orange light is? This is something
    > different than the redeye redcution pre-flashes which I also have
    > turned on.

    Pre-flash to determine exposure? Or perhaps it is a flash for red-eye.
    If the former, it is not working that well, or it really was just too
    dark for you to take pictures.

    The further you zoom, the more light you are likely to need, because it
    is more likely your lens must stop down [I doubt they put constant
    apeture lenses on point and shoot cameras].

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Nov 23, 2005

  3. 223rem Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just took a bunch of photos using our new sony dsc-p200 cybershot
    > digital camera. I was in a school clasroom with flourescent lighting
    > taking photos of my sons thanksgiving day show. It was really cute but
    > the photos I took came out pretty poorly. Many of them are very dark
    > with a kind of orange hue to the whole picture.

    You should have customized the white balance before shooting. Or set
    it to fluorescent.

    > I think I had the zoom
    > at maximum for the photos that came out the darkest. I'm not positive
    > about that.

    That's normal, aperture is smaller at the telephoto end of the zoom
    lens

    > Any ideas what would cause dark photos in a setting that was reasonably
    > well lit like this. I know that the flash was going off although I
    > don't think it was creating much light from the distance I was shooting
    > from which was about 15 to 20 feet away.

    That flash has much smaller range

    > Sometimes I notice an orange light come on before I shoot a picture.
    > Can anyone tell me what that orange light is? This is something
    > different than the redeye redcution pre-flashes which I also have
    > turned on.

    It must be the IR laser focus assist beam

    > Thanks for any info and suggestions on how to shoow better indoor
    > pictures.

    You wont be able to shoot good indoor pictures at that kind of range
    and with the lens set on maximum zoom unless the lighting is really good.
    223rem, Nov 23, 2005
  4. wrote:
    [...]
    ..
    > Sometimes I notice an orange light come on before I shoot a picture.
    > Can anyone tell me what that orange light is? This is something
    > different than the redeye redcution pre-flashes which I also have
    > turned on.

    Do you notice it in lower light conditions? It could be an auto-focus
    assist light.

    --
    - Barry
    Barry L. Wallis, Nov 23, 2005
  5. Arnold Guest

    Yeah, I had the same problem as well. Dark with a kind of orange problem.

    http://tinypic.com/hrhqwo.jpg

    Arnold, Nov 23, 2005
  6. Neil Ellwood Guest

    On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 10:49:18 -0800, szeik wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I just took a bunch of photos using our new sony dsc-p200 cybershot
    > digital camera. I was in a school clasroom with flourescent lighting
    > taking photos of my sons thanksgiving day show. It was really cute but
    > the photos I took came out pretty poorly. Many of them are very dark
    > with a kind of orange hue to the whole picture. I think I had the zoom
    > at maximum for the photos that came out the darkest. I'm not positive
    > about that.
    >
    > This is the first time I got really poor results like this so I am
    > thinking that maybe somehow the camera got some setting switched.
    >
    > Any ideas what would cause dark photos in a setting that was reasonably
    > well lit like this. I know that the flash was going off although I
    > don't think it was creating much light from the distance I was shooting
    > from which was about 15 to 20 feet away.
    >
    > Sometimes I notice an orange light come on before I shoot a picture.
    > Can anyone tell me what that orange light is? This is something
    > different than the redeye redcution pre-flashes which I also have
    > turned on.
    >
    > Thanks for any info and suggestions on how to shoow better indoor
    > pictures.
    >
    > Steve

    The orange light is telling you that the exposure is incorrect.
    --
    Neil
    Linux Counter 335851
    Neil Ellwood, Nov 23, 2005
  7. fab Guest

    ha scritto:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just took a bunch of photos using our new sony dsc-p200 cybershot
    > digital camera. I was in a school clasroom with flourescent lighting
    > taking photos of my sons thanksgiving day show. It was really cute but
    > the photos I took came out pretty poorly. Many of them are very dark
    > with a kind of orange hue to the whole picture. I think I had the zoom
    > at maximum for the photos that came out the darkest. I'm not positive
    > about that.
    >
    > This is the first time I got really poor results like this so I am
    > thinking that maybe somehow the camera got some setting switched.
    >
    > Any ideas what would cause dark photos in a setting that was reasonably
    > well lit like this. I know that the flash was going off although I
    > don't think it was creating much light from the distance I was shooting
    > from which was about 15 to 20 feet away.
    >
    > Sometimes I notice an orange light come on before I shoot a picture.
    > Can anyone tell me what that orange light is? This is something
    > different than the redeye redcution pre-flashes which I also have
    > turned on.
    >
    > Thanks for any info and suggestions on how to shoow better indoor
    > pictures.
    >
    > Steve

    look at the pictures taken with the fuji f 11 at 1600 in low light
    condition and change your camera
    cheers
    fabricius
    fab, Nov 23, 2005
  8. Dave Cohen Guest

    "fab" <> wrote in message
    > ha scritto:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I just took a bunch of photos using our new sony dsc-p200 cybershot
    >> digital camera. I was in a school clasroom with flourescent lighting
    >> taking photos of my sons thanksgiving day show. It was really cute but
    >> the photos I took came out pretty poorly. Many of them are very dark
    >> with a kind of orange hue to the whole picture. I think I had the zoom
    >> at maximum for the photos that came out the darkest. I'm not positive
    >> about that.
    >>
    >> This is the first time I got really poor results like this so I am
    >> thinking that maybe somehow the camera got some setting switched.
    >>
    >> Any ideas what would cause dark photos in a setting that was reasonably
    >> well lit like this. I know that the flash was going off although I
    >> don't think it was creating much light from the distance I was shooting
    >> from which was about 15 to 20 feet away.
    >>
    >> Sometimes I notice an orange light come on before I shoot a picture.
    >> Can anyone tell me what that orange light is? This is something
    >> different than the redeye redcution pre-flashes which I also have
    >> turned on.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any info and suggestions on how to shoow better indoor
    >> pictures.
    >>
    >> Steve
    >>

    > look at the pictures taken with the fuji f 11 at 1600 in low light
    > condition and change your camera
    > cheers
    > fabricius

    That's a helpful comment. I swapped my slr outfit with a decent flash to go
    digicam because I just wasn't dragging a bagfull of equipment around
    anymore. In general I'm very happy with digital but I cannot match the old
    outfit for indoor work. You need a camera with an external flash to get the
    range and to avoid red-eye. Most of the smaller digicams don't come with a
    hot shoe so you just have to accept the limitations and work around them as
    best you can.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Nov 23, 2005
  9. Its helpful to have a couple of slave flashes in the bag for this sort of
    thing. Just make sure you have the kind that work with digital.
    However...any other photographer using flash will set them off so you have
    to watch for that.

    --
    Thanks,
    Gene Palmiter

    www.route611.com & Route 611 Magazine

    Gene Palmiter, Nov 23, 2005
  10. Hunt Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    >Hi,
    >
    >I just took a bunch of photos using our new sony dsc-p200 cybershot
    >digital camera. I was in a school clasroom with flourescent lighting
    >taking photos of my sons thanksgiving day show. It was really cute but
    >the photos I took came out pretty poorly. Many of them are very dark
    >with a kind of orange hue to the whole picture. I think I had the zoom
    >at maximum for the photos that came out the darkest. I'm not positive
    >about that.
    >
    >This is the first time I got really poor results like this so I am
    >thinking that maybe somehow the camera got some setting switched.
    >
    >Any ideas what would cause dark photos in a setting that was reasonably
    >well lit like this. I know that the flash was going off although I
    >don't think it was creating much light from the distance I was shooting
    >from which was about 15 to 20 feet away.
    >
    >Sometimes I notice an orange light come on before I shoot a picture.
    >Can anyone tell me what that orange light is? This is something
    >different than the redeye redcution pre-flashes which I also have
    >turned on.
    >
    >Thanks for any info and suggestions on how to shoow better indoor
    >pictures.
    >
    >Steve

    Steve,

    Others have answered most of your questions already, and, I think, have done a
    good job.

    In a situation, where the range of the built-in flash is inadequate, you want
    to disable it. I do not know your camera, so I can't direct you there, but it
    should be in the manual. If you allow the flash to fire, the camera expects
    that it will illuminate the scene, and the basic exposure will be based on
    that assumption. What happens is (if you have TTL, or similar metering with
    flash) is the camera tells the flash to "keep firing... " but the flash has
    gone full power, and cannot do more. The camera has set the aperture as if a
    flash was providing the illumination, but it cannot. Disable the flash, meter
    on a neutral area (I won't go into grey cards, etc.) in the subject area, and
    do an existing light shot with WB set for the situation. If you have shutter
    priority, so with something that you can hand hold at your chosen zoom range,
    and that will stop the motion of the subjects. If you cannot do this with the
    ISO set, choose a higher one. If the "noise level" is too high for you (you
    get "grain-like" splotches), look into a post production program like Neat
    Image, or Noise Ninja to save these shots.

    Hunt
    Hunt, Nov 24, 2005
  11. Hunt Guest

    In article <4i7hf.7159$Ze6.1584@trndny04>, says...

    >Its helpful to have a couple of slave flashes in the bag for this sort of
    >thing. Just make sure you have the kind that work with digital.
    >However...any other photographer using flash will set them off so you have
    >to watch for that.

    Some years ago, I had a large interior lit for some 4x5 ad shots. We were
    using about 6 Speedotron 4800 WS packs with dozens of heads. All but one, was
    slaved. Just as I started to shoot the finals, the interior decorator "blew"
    onto the set and announced that she was going to take her shots, and that we
    had to stop immediately. She then tracked up the freshly raked carpet (all
    1200 Sq Ft of it!), and pranced around with her P&S film camera, using the
    built-in flash. In my "passive-aggressive" way, I just let her have her way
    with my set, and didn't tell my assistants to turn off our power packs,
    especially as some were across that carpet, hidden behind things. I wonder how
    overexposed her film was, since she was setting off about 200,000 WS of strobe
    power, with each exposure!

    Hunt
    Hunt, Nov 24, 2005
  12. Hunt Guest

    In article <>, says...
    [SNIP]
    I wonder how
    >overexposed her film was, since she was setting off about 200,000 WS of

    strobe
    >power, with each exposure!
    >
    >Hunt

    Oops, bad math, or too much wine - should be 20,000 WS!

    Hunt
    Hunt, Nov 24, 2005