Dark Digital Pics Fix

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by bbford, Apr 16, 2006.

  1. bbford

    bbford Guest

    I'm posting this to help other people who have had dark digital pictures.

    I had a problem with dark digital pictures on my Canon A520. I had tried
    different exposure settings, still did not work out properly. I always had
    to go into Photoshop Elements and
    "lighten up the shadows" before the pics looked right.

    I now found that my monitor was set too dark!
    I tried the Adobe Gamma correction program, still was too dark. I found a
    better adjustment tool in my ATI video card for adjusting brightness,
    contrast and gamma.

    I think that Canon could have given a monitor test tool program in their
    software that was included with the camera.

    Some of the websites that helped me:
    http://www.w4zt.com/screen/
    http://cires.colorado.edu/~knowlesk/album/gamma_test.html
    http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/Calibration/monitor_black.htm
    http://www.tsi.enst.fr/~brettel/TESTS/Gamma/Gamma.html
    http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/screencal/index.htm
    http://www.metalvortex.com/chart/index.htm
    http://www.uni-mannheim.de/fakul/psycho/irtel/gamma/index.html
    http://www.uni-mannheim.de/fakul/psycho/irtel/gamma/lowest.html
    http://www.uni-mannheim.de/fakul/psycho/irtel/gamma/highest.html

    bbford, Apr 16, 2006

  2. bbford

    Colin D Guest

    bbford wrote:

    > I'm posting this to help other people who have had dark digital pictures.
    >
    > I had a problem with dark digital pictures on my Canon A520. I had tried
    > different exposure settings, still did not work out properly. I always had
    > to go into Photoshop Elements and
    > "lighten up the shadows" before the pics looked right.
    >
    > I now found that my monitor was set too dark!
    > I tried the Adobe Gamma correction program, still was too dark. I found a
    > better adjustment tool in my ATI video card for adjusting brightness,
    > contrast and gamma.
    >
    > I think that Canon could have given a monitor test tool program in their
    > software that was included with the camera.

    Why? It's no part of Canon's responsibility how your computer or monitor
    is set up. Especially with a low-priced point and shoot compact. It's
    entirely your problem, not Canon's.

    Colin D.

    Colin D, Apr 16, 2006

  3. bbford

    bbford Guest

    "Colin D" <ColinD@killspam.127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    > Why? It's no part of Canon's responsibility how your computer or monitor
    > is set up. Especially with a low-priced point and shoot compact. It's
    > entirely your problem, not Canon's.
    >
    > Colin D.

    Yes, it is a user problem, but I think if Canon gives you a cd full of
    software which includes picture editing, then maybe a basic tool that
    calibrates a monitor should be included.

    If a low-priced point and shoot compact does not include it, then which high
    end cameras do?

    bbford, Apr 16, 2006
  4. bbford wrote:
    > "Colin D" <ColinD@killspam.127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    >
    >>Why? It's no part of Canon's responsibility how your computer or monitor
    >>is set up. Especially with a low-priced point and shoot compact. It's
    >>entirely your problem, not Canon's.
    >>
    >>Colin D.

    > Yes, it is a user problem, but I think if Canon gives you a cd full of
    > software which includes picture editing, then maybe a basic tool that
    > calibrates a monitor should be included.
    >
    > If a low-priced point and shoot compact does not include it, then which high
    > end cameras do?

    My high-priced prosumer camera (Nik0on Coolpix 8800) doesn't include
    one. In fact, the RAW convertter that comes with the camera is barely
    usable.

    --
    - Barry

    Barry L. Wallis, Apr 16, 2006
  5. bbford

    Colin D Guest

    bbford wrote:

    > "Colin D" <ColinD@killspam.127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    > > Why? It's no part of Canon's responsibility how your computer or monitor
    > > is set up. Especially with a low-priced point and shoot compact. It's
    > > entirely your problem, not Canon's.
    > >
    > > Colin D.

    > Yes, it is a user problem, but I think if Canon gives you a cd full of
    > software which includes picture editing, then maybe a basic tool that
    > calibrates a monitor should be included.
    >
    > If a low-priced point and shoot compact does not include it, then which high
    > end cameras do?

    To the best of my knowledge, none do. It simply isn't seen as part of
    the camera software. Programs that deal with the images from the
    camera, like Canon's Zoombrowser, and the Nikon/Minolta/Pentax/etc.
    equivalents are provided, however well they might or might not work; and
    they usually include some program like Photoshop Elements or the like
    for image manipulation. They do not, and IMHO should not, include setup
    programs for the computer or monitor that are not relevant to the camera
    software.

    Colin D.

    Colin D, Apr 16, 2006
  6. bbford

    Guest

    > They do not, and IMHO should not, include setup
    > programs for the computer or monitor that are not relevant to the camera
    > software.
    >
    > Colin D.

    IMHO, camera software should include monitor checking software only if
    they are providing the photo editing software. It only makes sense to
    me.

    , Apr 17, 2006