"DARK CITY" VS "THE MATRIX"

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Gerrry, Jul 3, 2003.

  1. Gerrry

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Mike Rice <> wrote:

    > C'mon, go the extra step. Dark City was a better film because
    > it had more of a story.

    Don't be ridiculous.
    Peter Briggs, Jul 8, 2003

  2. Gerrry

    AuntieLib Guest

    Andrew Venor wrote:

    > > If you think The Matrix was original, look at that page. Dark City is the
    > > real thing, The Matrix is rip-off.

    No comment on the stories, novels and earlier films "Dark City" ripped
    off? (Come on. There are no original stories, only original ways to
    produce them.)

    > Some of the resemblance is because the Wachoski brothers filmed parts of The
    > Matrix on some of the sets that were originally built for Dark City. Seeing
    > that the two films were shot one right after the other on the same sound
    > stages in Sydney, Australia.

    So, when Joel Silver says that "The Matrix" was shot in a brand-new
    studio ("... don't touch the walls, they're wet...") he was lying?

    elizabeth
    AuntieLib, Jul 9, 2003

  3. Gerrry

    Andrew Venor Guest

    AuntieLib wrote:

    > Andrew Venor wrote:
    >
    > > > If you think The Matrix was original, look at that page. Dark City is the
    > > > real thing, The Matrix is rip-off.

    > No comment on the stories, novels and earlier films "Dark City" ripped
    > off? (Come on. There are no original stories, only original ways to
    > produce them.)

    That wasn't my quote. You left off the real writers tag when you edited the last
    message.

    Besides, it's been said that their hasn't been a 100% original story written since
    Homer set his quill down for the last time.

    > > Some of the resemblance is because the Wachoski brothers filmed parts of The
    > > Matrix on some of the sets that were originally built for Dark City. Seeing
    > > that the two films were shot one right after the other on the same sound
    > > stages in Sydney, Australia.

    > So, when Joel Silver says that "The Matrix" was shot in a brand-new
    > studio ("... don't touch the walls, they're wet...") he was lying?
    >
    > elizabeth

    Seeing that I'm not familiar with that quote, I have no way of knowing how
    truthful Mr. Silver was.

    However, I do know it has been in The Matrix's extras that their film crew
    occupied the same sound stages at Fox Studio's Australia that Dark City had used.
    So some sets, most notably the roof tops, were available for the Wachoski brothers
    to reuse.

    ALV
    Andrew Venor, Jul 9, 2003
  4. Gerrry

    Lookingglass Guest

    DC is by far the better film...

    --
    PEACE... Dave www.Shemakhan.com

    ....we know what we are, but know not what we may be.

    Shakespeare
    "Keenan Clay Wilkie" <> wrote in message
    > "Eps" <> writes:
    >
    > >> Too bad that movie failed where DC and The Matrix Succeeded.

    > >I agree, thriteenth floor was enjoyable but there were a few too many

    flaws
    > >for my liking. Is it me or did they never actually explain why they

    created
    > >the virtual world ?, it was just like we are a billion dollar company

    doing

    Lookingglass, Jul 9, 2003
  5. Gerrry

    Bill Guest

    On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 22:56:59 GMT, "Lookingglass"
    <> wrote:

    >DC is by far the better film...

    And THAT, is a matter of opinion.

    Frankly, I like all three films equally for different reasons.

    - Bill
    Bill, Jul 10, 2003
  6. Gerrry

    Bill Guest

    On 10 Jul 2003 08:32:09 -0700, (Eric R.) wrote:

    >Bill <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Frankly, I like all three films equally for different reasons.

    >And I hate all three films equally, for pretty much the same reasons.
    >
    >-Eric

    Hmmm, If you "hated" three of the better sci-fi films from the late
    90's, then I'd say you either don't like sci-fi films, or you're just
    impossible to please. In either case, it must suck to be you.

    - Bill
    Bill, Jul 11, 2003
  7. Gerrry

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Lookingglass <> wrote:

    > DC is by far the better film...

    In your dreams, pal. (Which, given the context, is actually rather
    funny!)
    Peter Briggs, Jul 11, 2003
  8. Gerrry

    Lou G. Guest

    > Well, I really don't see the point in comparing two turds to each
    > other 'cause they're...turds. They're both poorly written films with
    > special effects caked on to hide the horrid dialog and flat
    > characters.
    >
    > Smaug69

    It is not easy to write good dialog..
    Lou G., Jul 13, 2003
  9. Gerrry

    Trypt Guest

    Thats why you must go out and watch Equilibrium.. although I did like Dark
    City and The Matrix..

    Trypt, Jul 14, 2003
  10. Gerrry

    Steve Hanson Guest

    Bill wrote in <>:

    >On 10 Jul 2003 08:32:09 -0700, (Eric R.) wrote:
    >
    >>Bill <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Frankly, I like all three films equally for different reasons.

    >>And I hate all three films equally, for pretty much the same reasons.
    >>
    >>-Eric

    >Hmmm, If you "hated" three of the better sci-fi films from the late
    >90's, then I'd say you either don't like sci-fi films, or you're just
    >impossible to please. In either case, it must suck to be you.

    Yeah, how does he ever manage to finish masturbating without some
    dreary intelligence-insulting sci-fi hook to get him through?
    Steve Hanson, Jul 14, 2003
  11. Gerrry

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Trypt" <> wrote in message
    > Thats why you must go out and watch Equilibrium..

    Not this again!
    Joshua Zyber, Jul 15, 2003
  12. Weren't the Warchowski brothers writing the Matrix before anyone ever heard
    of Dark City?

    "John Harkness" <> wrote in message
    > On 03 Jul 2003 14:48:15 GMT, (Angry Gamer) wrote:
    >
    > >I'd say 4/5 movie critics and anyone with half a brain prefers DC to

    Matrix.

    Joseph S. Powell, III, Jul 27, 2003
  13. Gerrry

    Andrew Venor Guest

    Jim wrote:
    > Joseph S. Powell, III wrote:
    >
    >> Weren't the Warchowski brothers writing the Matrix before anyone ever
    >> heard
    >> of Dark City?

    > For me, the question is beside the point. Even if they had the plot
    > ideas before "Dark City" came out, they clearly copied the whole look of
    > the other film, which was much more original in its art direction.

    That might be because the Warchowski's reused some of the sets used for
    Dark City when filming The Matrix. Seeing that their film was shot on
    the same sound stages at Fox Studio's in Sydney right after Alex Proyas
    used finished shooting his film.

    ALV
    Andrew Venor, Jul 28, 2003
  14. Gerrry

    niFe

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2013
    Messages:
    3
    Location:
    Yo Moma's bedroom
    Holy crap this thread is old :DDDDD

    Now back to le topic.

    Saw both movies. Well I saw Matrix like 4 times (all 3 parts)and just now the Dark City. Well for me the Dark City was more interesting for it's plot, whereas the Matrixs's main idea was clear after 20min. And yes both films do look alike especially the Dark City scene(last boss fight while in the air) where John stopped the knife with his mind.
    niFe, Dec 31, 2013