"DARK CITY" VS "THE MATRIX"

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Gerrry, Jul 3, 2003.

  1. Gerrry

    jayembee Guest

    Cardinal Chunder <> wrote:

    > [...] yet films which would really benefit from extras get
    > nada. For example, just take a look at the extras that most
    > Stanley Kubrick titles have on them.

    Because Kubrick didn't want them. He believed that his films
    should stand on their own, and didn't like the idea of having
    supplementary material to explain the films or how they were
    made. When it came to the Criterion LDs of DR. STRANGELOVE
    and 2001, the extras were of material tangential to the film
    itself. SPARTACUS (both the Criterion LD and DVD) is the
    exception, but then, Kubrick never thought of that as one
    of "his" films.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Jul 4, 2003

  2. jayembee wrote:

    > Cardinal Chunder <> wrote:
    >

    >>[...] yet films which would really benefit from extras get
    >>nada. For example, just take a look at the extras that most
    >>Stanley Kubrick titles have on them.

    > Because Kubrick didn't want them. He believed that his films
    > should stand on their own, and didn't like the idea of having
    > supplementary material to explain the films or how they were
    > made. When it came to the Criterion LDs of DR. STRANGELOVE
    > and 2001, the extras were of material tangential to the film
    > itself. SPARTACUS (both the Criterion LD and DVD) is the
    > exception, but then, Kubrick never thought of that as one
    > of "his" films.

    Then you're saying it is possible to put extras on the disc even if
    they're not immediately related to the film? Not even a filmography? Or
    how about just doing the film justice with a proper transfer?

    I bought 2001 and Dr Strangelove on DVD and I was shocked how bad the
    transfers were. I believe there is now a 2001 special edition, but my
    version is in crappy non-anamorphic widescreen.
    Cardinal Chunder, Jul 4, 2003

  3. Gerrry

    Jay G Guest

    Jay G, Jul 4, 2003
  4. Gerrry

    Jay G Guest

    "John Harkness" <> wrote...
    > On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 21:10:50 -0400, Stan Brown
    > <> wrote:

    > >I hate commentaries where a bunch of people get together and just
    > >drink beer and yack. I love commentaries where the film makers or
    > >serious film mavens offer insightful comments or give behind-the-
    > >scenes information.

    > depends on the film, doesn't it? I mean, there are certain films that
    > demand the yakking and the beer drinking. I mean, do you really want a
    > serious commentary on Cannibal: The Musical?

    Hey, the managed to cram a good amount of behind-the-scenes
    info into that commentary. You know, between the swearing out
    of Sting, finishing a whole bottle of scotch, and accidentally turning
    off the recorder.

    I've read that Orgazmo will have both a straight commentary track
    and a drunken commentary track, as well as a track full of comments
    from celebrities who had nothing to do with the film.

    -Jay

    -Jay
    Jay G, Jul 4, 2003
  5. Gerrry

    Jay G Guest

    "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote ...
    > "Eps" <> wrote
    > >
    > > Equilibrium wasn't meant for you, don't watch it again.

    > I won't. Trust me.

    You better not, or else.....

    -Jay "....you'll have seen it twice."
    Jay G, Jul 4, 2003
  6. Gerrry

    Mark Jones Guest

    "Angry Gamer" <> wrote in message
    > I'd say 4/5 movie critics and anyone with half a brain prefers DC to

    Matrix.
    Where does that leave you, seeing as how you only
    have 1/4 of a brain?
    Mark Jones, Jul 4, 2003

    wrote in message news:<3f03f6bf$0$34200$>...
    > > > If you think The Matrix was original, look at that page. Dark City is

    the
    > > > real thing, The Matrix is rip-off.
    > > >
    > > > http://galeon.hispavista.com/cinerama/actu2/matrixdarkcity.htm

    > > Considering the Matrix would have been in post-production when Dark
    > > City was released I have to say that BOTH films are drawing from some
    > > common influences rather than one ripped off the other.
    > >
    > > - Jordan

    > Both movies did draw from the same influences. However, another reason

    their is a strong resemblance between some scenes in both movies is
    > that while Dark City was in post production The Matrix reused some of the

    same sets when it was filmed on the same sound stages.

    > ALV

    Interesting - what scenes? Rooftops? Subways? What?
    Raul Bloodworth, Jul 5, 2003
  8. Gerrry

    Andrew Venor Guest

    Raul Bloodworth wrote:
    > "Andrew Venor" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Jordan Lund wrote:

    > the

    >>>Considering the Matrix would have been in post-production when Dark
    >>>City was released I have to say that BOTH films are drawing from some
    >>>common influences rather than one ripped off the other.
    >>>
    >>>- Jordan

    >>Both movies did draw from the same influences. However, another reason

    > their is a strong resemblance between some scenes in both movies is
    >
    >>that while Dark City was in post production The Matrix reused some of the

    > same sets when it was filmed on the same sound stages.
    >
    >>ALV

    > Interesting - what scenes? Rooftops? Subways? What?

    Right off the top of my head I remember in a Matrix behind the scene
    documentary it was mentioned that the roof top scene where Trinity was
    chased by the Sentinel used the same sets as the scene where John
    Murdoch was chased by the Mr. Book and co.

    The hotel room where Neo meets Morphus was another recycled set. Though
    they did do some remodeling in The Matrix with different paint, light
    fixtures, and peeling wallpaper.

    Several exterior street scenes in both movies were filmed in the same
    locations around Sydney, NSW too.

    ALV
    Andrew Venor, Jul 5, 2003
  9. Gerrry

    Eps Guest

    Jay G wrote:
    > "John Harkness" <> wrote
    >>
    >> Glitter has a director's commentary? This I must hear.

    > The Onion has saved you the effort and summed up
    > the commentary to Glitter in their "Commentary Tracks
    > of the Damned" article:
    > http://www.theonionavclub.com/avclub3832/avfeature_3832.html
    >
    > -Jay

    I can't believe they included little nicky on that list. I think they
    probably took that film a little bit too seriously.

    --
    Eps
    Eps, Jul 5, 2003
  10. Gerrry

    DRutsala Guest

    >Off-topic on the DVD group, but The Matrix certainly "borrowed" from
    >other movies as well, see Ghost in the Shell (even the credit sequence
    >is lifted for The Matrix), and Akira.

    And an endless number of Hong Kong action movies, and healthy bits from both
    Total Recall and the Terminator -- not to mention the novels and short stories
    that inspired that stuff.

    Don't get me wrong, I loved The Matrix. But, like Star Wars, it was an amalgam
    of movie and literary references put together in an interesting way. Neither
    were the least bit original at their core, but the way they combined influences
    was.

    Of course, this is true of a lot of great movies.
    DRutsala, Jul 5, 2003
  11. Gerrry

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Andrew Venor <> wrote:

    > Several exterior street scenes in both movies were filmed in the same
    > locations around Sydney, NSW too.

    Is there a link for the "Revolutions" trailer? The reason being, is
    that I'm sure the street where the big Agent Smith in the rain fight
    takes place, is the same street from "The Matrix" where Neo is offered
    to get out of the car, but if he does "it's all over". Which, is I
    guess, some Wachowski symbology.

    I couldn't help wonder if that set was a "Dark City" set...and, if so,
    there's some neat irony that they had to recreate a set that they simply
    reused the first time around!
    Peter Briggs, Jul 5, 2003
  12. DRutsala wrote:
    > And an endless number of Hong Kong action movies, and healthy bits from both
    > Total Recall and the Terminator -- not to mention the novels and short stories
    > that inspired that stuff.
    >
    > Don't get me wrong, I loved The Matrix. But, like Star Wars, it was an amalgam
    > of movie and literary references put together in an interesting way. Neither
    > were the least bit original at their core, but the way they combined influences
    > was.
    >
    > Of course, this is true of a lot of great movies.

    A lot of great movies don't directly lift sequences from other great movies.

    --
    "It is dark, you are likely to be eaten by a grue."
    --Zork

    Grand Inquisitor
    Grand Inquisitor, Jul 6, 2003
  13. Gerrry

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Jay G <> wrote:

    > Here's a link to the Revolutions trailer at the end of the
    > video game:
    >
    > http://www.movie-list.com/m/matrixrevolutions.shtml

    Interesting, now I've downloaded it. Unless I'm very much mistaken,
    it's not the same trailer that played at the end of the movie...one of
    the shots I was looking for -- a bunch of big Matrix machines moving
    right-to-left -- isn't there, and a lot of material here I haven't seen
    before.

    Glad to have it, though!
    Peter Briggs, Jul 6, 2003
  14. Gerrry

    mikah Guest

    >> Jay G <> wrote:
    >>
    >> Here's a link to the Revolutions trailer at the end of the
    >> video game:
    >>
    >> http://www.movie-list.com/m/matrixrevolutions.shtml

    > From: Peter Briggs (Sun, 6 Jul 2003 19:36:02 +0100)
    > MsgId: <1fxotud.f1otq3d4ej2eN%>
    >
    > Interesting, now I've downloaded it. Unless I'm very much mistaken,
    > it's not the same trailer that played at the end of the movie...one of
    > the shots I was looking for -- a bunch of big Matrix machines moving
    > right-to-left -- isn't there, and a lot of material here I haven't seen
    > before. Glad to have it, though!

    You're correct. It isn't the same one. Given how readily available Reloaded
    is on the net, I'm surprised nobody has the Revolutions, but it has proven
    difficult to find. I find it surprising since studios usually WANT people
    to view trailers.
    mikah, Jul 7, 2003
  15. Gerrry

    Jay G Guest

    "mikah" <> wrote

    > You're correct. It isn't the same one. Given how readily available

    Reloaded
    > is on the net, I'm surprised nobody has the Revolutions, but it has proven
    > difficult to find. I find it surprising since studios usually WANT people
    > to view trailers.

    The teaser to The Two Towers that was tagged onto the end of
    Fellowship of the Ring was never officially released online,
    although plenty of other teasers/trailers were.

    I think the idea is that the teaser at the end of Reloaded is a special
    gift to those who saw that film and stayed to the end of the credits.
    There will probably be an official teaser released soon.

    As for the theatrical teaser, it's available on most file-sharing
    programs, although like I said it's a copy of a camcorder in
    a theatre.

    -Jay
    Jay G, Jul 7, 2003
  16. Gerrry

    Steve Hanson Guest

    Endymion9 wrote in <xF3Na.5886$>:

    >"John Harkness" <> wrote in message
    >> On 03 Jul 2003 14:48:15 GMT, (Angry Gamer) wrote:
    >>
    >> >I'd say 4/5 movie critics and anyone with half a brain prefers DC to

    >Matrix.
    >> >

    >> I'd say that the second half of that statement is absolutely true.

    >If you replace "movie critics" with "self proclaimed film students" you
    >might be correct. But then that same group prefers Yoko Ono's film of a fly
    >crawling along a body over The Empire Strikes Back.
    >
    >Dark City was good. The Matrix was great.

    Both movies were as dull as they were drab. But The Matrix didn't
    have Kiefer Sutherland's devastating scenery chewing.
    Steve Hanson, Jul 7, 2003
  17. Gerrry

    Bill Guest

    On 3 Jul 2003 12:33:02 -0700, (Jordan Lund) wrote:

    >"Gerrry" <WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW> wrote in message news:<3f03f6bf$0$34200$>...
    >> If you think The Matrix was original, look at that page. Dark City is the
    >> real thing, The Matrix is rip-off.
    >>
    >> http://galeon.hispavista.com/cinerama/actu2/matrixdarkcity.htm

    >Considering the Matrix would have been in post-production when Dark
    >City was released I have to say that BOTH films are drawing from some
    >common influences rather than one ripped off the other.
    >
    >- Jordan

    Yes. And another film that was released in 1999, that was in the same
    vein as Matrix and Dark City, was "The Thirteenth Floor".

    - Bill
    Bill, Jul 8, 2003
  18. Gerrry

    Sean O'Hara Guest

    In the Year of the Goat, the Great and Powerful Scott Higdon declared...
    > Bill wrote:
    >
    > >Yes. And another film that was released in 1999, that was in the same
    > >vein as Matrix and Dark City, was "The Thirteenth Floor".
    > >

    > Too bad that movie failed where DC and The Matrix Succeeded.

    Speak for yourself, but I'd rather watch Gretchen Mol than Carrie
    Ann Moss.

    --
    Sean O'Hara
    "Harry goes through absolute hell every time he returns to school.
    Sean O'Hara, Jul 8, 2003
  19. Gerrry

    Mike Rice Guest

    C'mon, go the extra step. Dark City was a better film because
    it had more of a story. The only thing that makes Matrix look
    good is Matrix Reloaded.

    Mike Rice

    Mike Rice, Jul 8, 2003
  20. Gerrry

    Mike Rice Guest

    Its just the opposite, Jonathan. Dark City trumped
    Matrix by a long shot. I recognized the Dark City
    in Matrix the instant I saw it in May, 1999.

    Mike Rice

    Mike Rice, Jul 8, 2003