"DARK CITY" VS "THE MATRIX"

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Gerrry, Jul 3, 2003.

  1. (zach) writes:

    > Stan Brown <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > > In article <3f03f6bf$0$34200$> in
    > > alt.video.dvd, <"Gerrry"
    > > <WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW>> wrote:
    > > >If you think The Matrix was original, look at that page. Dark City is the
    > > >real thing, The Matrix is rip-off.

    > > /Dark City/ was a far better movie if you're looking for thought-
    > > provoking ideas.
    > >
    > > I haven't seen the Matrix DVD, but the Dark City one is really
    > > excellent, with two commentary tracks, one by director Alex Proyas
    > > and one by Roger Ebert.

    > I have it on DVD, maybe I will play them. Is it just me, or does
    > anyone else hate the voice over commentary tracks? Or, most of the
    > extra crap on DVDs anyway?

    I got my first DVD in 1997, and I guess I have around 100 DVD:s.

    I have still not had the energy to watch a whole movie with
    commentaries. I don't feel the need, and I very rarely bother with the
    extras.

    My requirements/preferences on a DVD:

    1) Good film
    2) Good surround audio track, DD or DTS
    3) Anamorphic widescreen (if it is wide)
    4) Original soundtrack. I never ever use a dubbed sound track!
    5) Swedish or english subtitles if the soundtrack is in another language.
    6) No flippers, unless it is a series or extremely long film.

    Thomas
    Thomas Tornblom, Jul 3, 2003

  2. zach wrote:

    > I have it on DVD, maybe I will play them. Is it just me, or does
    > anyone else hate the voice over commentary tracks? Or, most of the
    > extra crap on DVDs anyway?

    I find them marginally interesting but extras are too frequently
    lavished on undeserving titles and missing from those they would most
    benefit.

    Utter, unredeeming crap like Glitter, Freddy Got Fingered and Coyote
    Ugly gets directors commentaries and other junk presumably to drive
    sales, yet films which would really benefit from extras get nada. For
    example, just take a look at the extras that most Stanley Kubrick titles
    have on them.
    Cardinal Chunder, Jul 3, 2003

  3. The Shadow wrote:

    > "Gerrry" <WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW> wrote
    > in message news:3f03f6bf$0$34200$...
    >
    >>If you think The Matrix was original, look at that page. Dark City is the
    >>real thing, The Matrix is rip-off.
    >>
    >>http://galeon.hispavista.com/cinerama/actu2/matrixdarkcity.htm

    > And Dark City was a rip off of Hellraiser and Hellraiser was a rip off of
    > Planet Of The Vampires and Planet Of The Vampires was a rip off of Birth Of
    > A Nation.

    How is Dark City a rip off of Hellraiser? I really can't see much in
    common between the two. They both have baddies who are bald but that's
    about all.
    Cardinal Chunder, Jul 3, 2003
  4. On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 23:15:41 +0100, Cardinal Chunder
    <> wrote:

    >zach wrote:
    >
    >> I have it on DVD, maybe I will play them. Is it just me, or does
    >> anyone else hate the voice over commentary tracks? Or, most of the
    >> extra crap on DVDs anyway?

    >I find them marginally interesting but extras are too frequently
    >lavished on undeserving titles and missing from those they would most
    >benefit.
    >
    >Utter, unredeeming crap like Glitter, Freddy Got Fingered and Coyote
    >Ugly gets directors commentaries and other junk presumably to drive
    >sales, yet films which would really benefit from extras get nada. For
    >example, just take a look at the extras that most Stanley Kubrick titles
    >have on them.

    Glitter has a director's commentary? This I must hear.

    John Harkness
    John Harkness, Jul 4, 2003
  5. Gerrry

    Codswallop Guest

    On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 18:51:06 GMT, Grand Inquisitor wrote in
    alt.video.dvd:

    >> I have it on DVD, maybe I will play them. Is it just me, or does
    >> anyone else hate the voice over commentary tracks? Or, most of the
    >> extra crap on DVDs anyway?

    > Whoa, I think you're alone in that regard. We love our extras,
    > especially a good commentary.

    What I really like seeing, are "trivia" subtitle tracks (like the BTTF
    ones, though I don't care about the animations on it).

    I also like seeing subtitled commentaries, so I can watch the film and
    read about it if I feel like it (my girlfriend finds the commentaries
    pretty boring 99% of the time... Actually, I think she's right).

    --
    - Cods

    (un ROT-13 to e-mail)
    Codswallop, Jul 4, 2003
  6. On 3 Jul 2003 10:03:40 -0700, (zach)
    wrote:

    >Stan Brown <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >> In article <3f03f6bf$0$34200$> in
    >> alt.video.dvd, <"Gerrry"
    >> <WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW>> wrote:
    >> >If you think The Matrix was original, look at that page. Dark City is the
    >> >real thing, The Matrix is rip-off.

    >> /Dark City/ was a far better movie if you're looking for thought-
    >> provoking ideas.
    >>
    >> I haven't seen the Matrix DVD, but the Dark City one is really
    >> excellent, with two commentary tracks, one by director Alex Proyas
    >> and one by Roger Ebert.

    >I have it on DVD, maybe I will play them. Is it just me, or does
    >anyone else hate the voice over commentary tracks? Or, most of the
    >extra crap on DVDs anyway?

    Depends on the extra crap -- a lot of the studio stuff tends to be
    exactly that --"The Making of " for E! or HBO First Look, canned
    interviews, etcetera. And there are people who should never be allowed
    to talk about their films in public.

    OTOH, I do like a good extra -- there are DVDs that I've kept for the
    extras. Pearl Harbor, The Sweetest Thing Unrated (for the actress
    commentary), and a few where a good extra has tipped the balance.

    John Harkness
    John Harkness, Jul 4, 2003
  7. Gerrry

    buck Guest

    In article <be1nr7$9sle$>,
    says...
    > John Harkness wrote:
    > > On 03 Jul 2003 14:48:15 GMT, (Angry Gamer) wrote:
    > >

    > >>I'd say 4/5 movie critics and anyone with half a brain prefers DC to Matrix.
    > >>

    > > I'd say that the second half of that statement is absolutely true.
    > >
    > > John Harkness

    > Is the interpretation "at least half a brain" or "only half a brain"?
    >
    > dick

    only
    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.
    buck, Jul 4, 2003
  8. Gerrry

    The Shadow Guest

    "Cardinal Chunder" <> wrote :
    > The Shadow wrote:
    >
    > > "Gerrry" <WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW>

    wrote
    > > in message news:3f03f6bf$0$34200$...
    > >
    > >>If you think The Matrix was original, look at that page. Dark City is

    the
    > >>real thing, The Matrix is rip-off.
    > >>
    > >>http://galeon.hispavista.com/cinerama/actu2/matrixdarkcity.htm

    > > And Dark City was a rip off of Hellraiser and Hellraiser was a rip off

    of
    > > Planet Of The Vampires and Planet Of The Vampires was a rip off of Birth

    Of
    > > A Nation.

    > How is Dark City a rip off of Hellraiser? I really can't see much in
    > common between the two. They both have baddies who are bald but that's
    > about all.

    They are both in color.

    Sorry, my sarcasm got the best of me.
    The Shadow, Jul 4, 2003
  9. Gerrry

    Endymion9 Guest

    "John Harkness" <> wrote in message
    > On 03 Jul 2003 14:48:15 GMT, (Angry Gamer) wrote:
    >
    > >I'd say 4/5 movie critics and anyone with half a brain prefers DC to

    Matrix.

    > I'd say that the second half of that statement is absolutely true.

    If you replace "movie critics" with "self proclaimed film students" you
    might be correct. But then that same group prefers Yoko Ono's film of a fly
    crawling along a body over The Empire Strikes Back.

    Dark City was good. The Matrix was great.
    --

    Dennis/Endy
    http://home.comcast.net/~phleblori1/endy9/index.htm
    Endymion9, Jul 4, 2003
  10. Codswallop wrote:
    > I also like seeing subtitled commentaries, so I can watch the film and
    > read about it if I feel like it (my girlfriend finds the commentaries
    > pretty boring 99% of the time... Actually, I think she's right).

    For commentaries everybody mentions standards like Terry Gilliam's
    tracks and Ebert's track on Citizen Kane, but nobody ever mentions the
    hilarious tracks on Steve Odekerk's Thumbmation movies. BTW,
    Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy had a *fantastic* subtitle-based trivia
    commentary.

    --
    "It is dark, you are likely to be eaten by a grue."
    --Zork

    Grand Inquisitor
    Grand Inquisitor, Jul 4, 2003
  11. Gerrry

    Stan Brown Guest

    In article <> in
    alt.video.dvd, zach <> wrote:
    >Is it just me, or does
    >anyone else hate the voice over commentary tracks? Or, most of the
    >extra crap on DVDs anyway?

    I hate commentaries where a bunch of people get together and just
    drink beer and yack. I love commentaries where the film makers or
    serious film mavens offer insightful comments or give behind-the-
    scenes information.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Stan Brown, Jul 4, 2003
  12. On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 21:10:50 -0400, Stan Brown
    <> wrote:

    >In article <> in
    >alt.video.dvd, zach <> wrote:
    >>Is it just me, or does
    >>anyone else hate the voice over commentary tracks? Or, most of the
    >>extra crap on DVDs anyway?

    >I hate commentaries where a bunch of people get together and just
    >drink beer and yack. I love commentaries where the film makers or
    >serious film mavens offer insightful comments or give behind-the-
    >scenes information.

    depends on the film, doesn't it? I mean, there are certain films that
    demand the yakking and the beer drinking. I mean, do you really want a
    serious commentary on Cannibal: The Musical?

    John Harkness
    John Harkness, Jul 4, 2003
  13. Gerrry

    Eps Guest

    Joshua Zyber wrote:
    > "Jay G" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> You obviously have not seen Equilibrium yet.

    >> Equilibrium makes up its faults in the last 15 minutes.

    > No, it really doesn't.

    Equilibrium wasn't meant for you, don't watch it again.

    --
    Eps
    Eps, Jul 4, 2003
  14. Gerrry

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Eps" <> wrote in message

    ever

    > >> Equilibrium makes up its faults in the last 15 minutes.

    > > No, it really doesn't.

    > Equilibrium wasn't meant for you, don't watch it again.

    I won't. Trust me.
    Joshua Zyber, Jul 4, 2003
  15. Gerrry

    Tarkus Guest

    On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 21:03:59 GMT, Thomas Tornblom wrote:

    > My requirements/preferences on a DVD:
    >
    > 4) Original soundtrack. I never ever use a dubbed sound track!

    Don't most movies use a dubbed soundtrack?
    --
    "The thing about a shark, it's got lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a
    doll's eyes. When it comes at you it doesn't seem to be livin'... until

    Now playing: "- Danger After Night disc 1 - 08 - In The Dead of Night"
    Tarkus, Jul 4, 2003
  16. Gerrry

    BC Guest

    >> In article <3f03f6bf$0$34200$> in
    >> alt.video.dvd, <"Gerrry"
    >> <WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW>> wrote:
    >> >If you think The Matrix was original, look at that page. Dark City is the
    >> >real thing, The Matrix is rip-off.

    >> /Dark City/ was a far better movie if you're looking for thought-
    >> provoking ideas.
    >>
    >> I haven't seen the Matrix DVD, but the Dark City one is really
    >> excellent, with two commentary tracks, one by director Alex Proyas
    >> and one by Roger Ebert.

    >I have it on DVD, maybe I will play them. Is it just me, or does
    >anyone else hate the voice over commentary tracks? Or, most of the
    >extra crap on DVDs anyway?

    I LIKE commentary tracks on DVDs - some can be pretty interesting and
    funny. Like the ones on Resident Evil and Neon Genesis Evangelion: The
    End of Eva for example. Some are pretty crap though, like the one for
    Jerry McGuire, which was basically the actors sitting around telling us
    how great everyone was, and laughing at their own jokes.

    <=[BC]=>
    BC, Jul 4, 2003
  17. Gerrry

    Jim Fitbod Guest

    "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote in message
    > "Peter Briggs" <> wrote in message
    > > And "Dark City" is one of the most tedious piles of shit I've ever had
    > > to sit through in a motion picture emporium.

    > You obviously have not seen Equilibrium yet.

    And you obviously have. How many times do we have to hear this from you?
    Jim Fitbod, Jul 4, 2003
  18. Gerrry

    Angry Gamer Guest

    "Endymion9" <> wrote:

    >"John Harkness" <> wrote in message
    >> On 03 Jul 2003 14:48:15 GMT, (Angry Gamer) wrote:
    >>
    >> >I'd say 4/5 movie critics and anyone with half a brain prefers DC to

    >Matrix.
    >> >

    >> I'd say that the second half of that statement is absolutely true.

    >If you replace "movie critics" with "self proclaimed film students" you
    >might be correct. But then that same group prefers Yoko Ono's film of a fly
    >crawling along a body over The Empire Strikes Back.
    >
    >Dark City was good. The Matrix was great.
    >--
    >
    >Dennis/Endy
    >http://home.comcast.net/~phleblori1/endy9/index.htm
    >~dancing us from the darkest night is the rhythm of love powered by the
    >beating of hearts~ - XTC

    I was mainly referring to Ebert who is 4 out of 5 movies critics.
    Angry Gamer, Jul 4, 2003
  19. On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 12:25:47 +0100, Cardinal Chunder
    <> wrote:

    >John Harkness wrote:
    >
    >>>Utter, unredeeming crap like Glitter, Freddy Got Fingered and Coyote
    >>>Ugly gets directors commentaries and other junk presumably to drive
    >>>sales, yet films which would really benefit from extras get nada. For
    >>>example, just take a look at the extras that most Stanley Kubrick titles
    >>>have on them.

    >> Glitter has a director's commentary? This I must hear.

    >According to Amazon.com it does. It's probably full of gems like "jesus
    >what was I thinking here", "it took twenty takes for Mariah to say those
    >two words", "when will the torment end?", "I copied that cool effect
    >from a McDonalds advert", "please never let me direct again" etc.
    >
    >I don't think I would buy this movie for more that 50 cents no matter
    >what extras it had and only then because I could use a spare keep case.

    I never said I'd buy it -- Rent it, maybe.

    John Harkness
    John Harkness, Jul 4, 2003
  20. Gerrry

    Tallulah Guest

    Stan Brown wrote:

    >In article <> in
    >alt.video.dvd, zach <> wrote:
    >

    >>Is it just me, or does
    >>anyone else hate the voice over commentary tracks? Or, most of the
    >>extra crap on DVDs anyway?
    >>

    >I hate commentaries where a bunch of people get together and just
    >drink beer and yack. I love commentaries where the film makers or
    >serious film mavens offer insightful comments or give behind-the-
    >scenes information.

    Those can be terrible! The "look how clever I was"-commentary's.
    The best ones are done by John carpenter, especially the ones he did
    with Kurt Russel.
    Anacdotes, sometimes some interesting info and he never takes himself
    too serious.

    Tallulah, Jul 4, 2003