"DARK CITY" VS "THE MATRIX"

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Gerrry, Jul 3, 2003.

  1. Gerrry

    Gerrry Guest

    Gerrry, Jul 3, 2003

  2. Herman McClain, Jul 3, 2003

  3. So it's true. 4 out of 5 trolls do prefer "Dark City" to the "Matrix."

    "Gerrry" <WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW> wrote
    in message news:3f03f6bf$0$34200$...

    Matthew Little, Jul 3, 2003
  4. Gerrry

    Stan Brown Guest

    In article <3f03f6bf$0$34200$> in
    alt.video.dvd, <"Gerrry"
    <WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW>> wrote:
    >If you think The Matrix was original, look at that page. Dark City is the
    >real thing, The Matrix is rip-off.

    /Dark City/ was a far better movie if you're looking for thought-
    provoking ideas.

    I haven't seen the Matrix DVD, but the Dark City one is really
    excellent, with two commentary tracks, one by director Alex Proyas
    and one by Roger Ebert.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Stan Brown, Jul 3, 2003
  5. Gerrry

    Angry Gamer Guest

    I'd say 4/5 movie critics and anyone with half a brain prefers DC to Matrix.

    Angry Gamer, Jul 3, 2003
  6. Gerrry

    Tallulah Guest

    Angry Gamer wrote:

    >I'd say 4/5 movie critics and anyone with half a brain prefers DC to Matrix.

    What a bull. DC was first, so that makes them more original. Not
    necessarily better.
    I think The Matrix wins on all other fronts than originallity.

    Tallulah, Jul 3, 2003
  7. Gerrry

    Eps Guest

    Eps, Jul 3, 2003
  8. Gerrry

    Andrew Venor Guest

    Gerrry wrote:

    > If you think The Matrix was original, look at that page. Dark City is the
    > real thing, The Matrix is rip-off.
    >
    > http://galeon.hispavista.com/cinerama/actu2/matrixdarkcity.htm

    Some of the resemblance is because the Wachoski brothers filmed parts of The
    Matrix on some of the sets that were originally built for Dark City. Seeing
    that the two films were shot one right after the other on the same sound
    stages in Sydney, Australia.

    ALV
    Andrew Venor, Jul 3, 2003
  9. Gerrry

    TSL Guest

    "Gerrry" <WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW> skrev
    i meddelandet news:3f03f6bf$0$34200$...
    > If you think The Matrix was original, look at that page. Dark City is the
    > real thing, The Matrix is rip-off.
    >
    > http://galeon.hispavista.com/cinerama/actu2/matrixdarkcity.htm

    Dark City wasn't first. Check out the Mamoru Oshii Anime title Beuautiful
    Dreamer in the Urusei Yatsura series of films made in 1984. I'll bet the
    people behind Dark City was influenced by this film.

    /TSL
    TSL, Jul 3, 2003
  10. Gerrry

    zach Guest

    Stan Brown <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > In article <3f03f6bf$0$34200$> in
    > alt.video.dvd, <"Gerrry"
    > <WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW>> wrote:
    > >If you think The Matrix was original, look at that page. Dark City is the
    > >real thing, The Matrix is rip-off.

    > /Dark City/ was a far better movie if you're looking for thought-
    > provoking ideas.
    >
    > I haven't seen the Matrix DVD, but the Dark City one is really
    > excellent, with two commentary tracks, one by director Alex Proyas
    > and one by Roger Ebert.

    I have it on DVD, maybe I will play them. Is it just me, or does
    anyone else hate the voice over commentary tracks? Or, most of the
    extra crap on DVDs anyway?
    zach, Jul 3, 2003
  11. Gerrry

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    John Harkness wrote:
    > On 03 Jul 2003 14:48:15 GMT, (Angry Gamer) wrote:
    >

    >>I'd say 4/5 movie critics and anyone with half a brain prefers DC to Matrix.
    >>

    > I'd say that the second half of that statement is absolutely true.
    >
    > John Harkness

    Is the interpretation "at least half a brain" or "only half a brain"?

    dick
    Dick Sidbury, Jul 3, 2003
  12. Gerrry

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Stan Brown <> wrote:
    > /Dark City/ was a far better movie if you're looking for thought-
    > provoking ideas.

    Don't talk rot!
    Peter Briggs, Jul 3, 2003
  13. Gerrry

    Sean O'Hara Guest

    In the Year of the Goat, the Great and Powerful John Harkness
    declared...
    > On 03 Jul 2003 14:48:15 GMT, (Angry Gamer) wrote:
    >
    > >I'd say 4/5 movie critics and anyone with half a brain prefers DC to Matrix.
    > >

    > I'd say that the second half of that statement is absolutely true.

    Yeah, but people with whole brains prefer City of Lost Children :p

    --
    Sean O'Hara
    "Harry goes through absolute hell every time he returns to school.
    Sean O'Hara, Jul 3, 2003
  14. Gerrry

    The Shadow Guest

    "Gerrry" <WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW> wrote
    in message news:3f03f6bf$0$34200$...
    > If you think The Matrix was original, look at that page. Dark City is the
    > real thing, The Matrix is rip-off.
    >
    > http://galeon.hispavista.com/cinerama/actu2/matrixdarkcity.htm

    And Dark City was a rip off of Hellraiser and Hellraiser was a rip off of
    Planet Of The Vampires and Planet Of The Vampires was a rip off of Birth Of
    A Nation.

    Strangely enough, there is a Kevin Bacon connection to each film.

    If you want proof, look at this page...
    http://gerryisassillyasagitthankyousoverymuch.com
    The Shadow, Jul 3, 2003
  15. Gerrry wrote:
    > If you think The Matrix was original, look at that page. Dark City is the
    > real thing, The Matrix is rip-off.
    >
    > http://galeon.hispavista.com/cinerama/actu2/matrixdarkcity.htm

    Off-topic on the DVD group, but The Matrix certainly "borrowed" from
    other movies as well, see Ghost in the Shell (even the credit sequence
    is lifted for The Matrix), and Akira.

    --
    "It is dark, you are likely to be eaten by a grue."
    --Zork

    Grand Inquisitor
    Grand Inquisitor, Jul 3, 2003
  16. Gerrry

    Dgates Guest

    On 3 Jul 2003 10:03:40 -0700, (zach)
    wrote:

    >Stan Brown <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >> In article <3f03f6bf$0$34200$> in
    >> alt.video.dvd, <"Gerrry"
    >> <WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW>> wrote:
    >> >If you think The Matrix was original, look at that page. Dark City is the
    >> >real thing, The Matrix is rip-off.

    >> /Dark City/ was a far better movie if you're looking for thought-
    >> provoking ideas.
    >>
    >> I haven't seen the Matrix DVD, but the Dark City one is really
    >> excellent, with two commentary tracks, one by director Alex Proyas
    >> and one by Roger Ebert.

    >I have it on DVD, maybe I will play them. Is it just me, or does
    >anyone else hate the voice over commentary tracks? Or, most of the
    >extra crap on DVDs anyway?

    I don't watch a lot of the extra things because they sometimes seem
    too much like long commercials for the movie, but I love the audio
    commentary.

    I'll even rent a movie I've already seen simply to listen to its
    commentary. Lately, I've done Boogie Nights and Back to the Future.
    I rented them (from NetFlix), popped them into my DVD player, switched
    to the commentary tracks, then returned em when I was done.

    Boogie Nights, at 3 hours, took me a couple evenings to get through,
    but, since I wasn't watching it as a real movie, I didn't mind
    splitting it in half.

    Matrix and Dark City were also both good for an alternate-audio
    re-watching. Lots of cool visuals, plus something interesting to
    listen to.

    Even better: Movies with good FX and kind of stupid scripts. Planet
    of the Apes and Tomb Raider 1 were both pretty enjoyable. Listening
    to the intelligent, ad-libbed commentary sure beat listening to the
    weak dialogue/plotting in the scripts! :)
    Dgates, Jul 3, 2003
  17. Gerrry

    Jordan Lund Guest

    "Gerrry" <WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW> wrote in message news:<3f03f6bf$0$34200$>...
    > If you think The Matrix was original, look at that page. Dark City is the
    > real thing, The Matrix is rip-off.
    >
    > http://galeon.hispavista.com/cinerama/actu2/matrixdarkcity.htm

    Considering the Matrix would have been in post-production when Dark
    City was released I have to say that BOTH films are drawing from some
    common influences rather than one ripped off the other.

    - Jordan
    Jordan Lund, Jul 3, 2003
  18. Calm down. I was being sarcastic.

    Matthew Little, Jul 3, 2003
  19. Gerrry

    Andrew Venor Guest

    Jordan Lund wrote:

    > "Gerrry" <WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW> wrote in message news:<3f03f6bf$0$34200$>...
    > > If you think The Matrix was original, look at that page. Dark City is the
    > > real thing, The Matrix is rip-off.
    > >
    > > http://galeon.hispavista.com/cinerama/actu2/matrixdarkcity.htm

    > Considering the Matrix would have been in post-production when Dark
    > City was released I have to say that BOTH films are drawing from some
    > common influences rather than one ripped off the other.
    >
    > - Jordan

    Both movies did draw from the same influences. However, another reason their is a strong resemblance between some scenes in both movies is
    that while Dark City was in post production The Matrix reused some of the same sets when it was filmed on the same sound stages.

    ALV
    Andrew Venor, Jul 3, 2003
  20. Gerrry

    Jay G Guest

    "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote ...
    > "Peter Briggs" <> wrote ...
    > > And "Dark City" is one of the most tedious piles of shit I've ever had
    > > to sit through in a motion picture emporium.

    > You obviously have not seen Equilibrium yet.

    Equilibrium makes up its faults in the last 15 minutes.

    -Jay
    Jay G, Jul 3, 2003