    both said 1.33:1 AR, Full Screen. I thought DA was letterboxed 16:9,
    when it was on the air. If so, then why are the DVD's 1.33:1?

    They lost a sale, due to this B.S.

    Rutgar, Dec 1, 2004

  2. Rutgar

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Rutgar" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I thought about buying the two seasons of Dark Angel today. However,
    > when I picked up the packages and looked at the specs, I noticed they
    > both said 1.33:1 AR, Full Screen. I thought DA was letterboxed 16:9,
    > when it was on the air. If so, then why are the DVD's 1.33:1?
    >
    > They lost a sale, due to this B.S.

    Like most hour-long primetime dramas, the show aired in 4:3 on the
    network's main broadcast channel and 16:9 on the digital channel.
    Reportedly, some of the producers said they preferred the 4:3 version
    and asked the DVD to be presented that way.

    The DVD box set of The O.C. is the same way.

    Before you ask, no this is not a Fox thing. The O.C. is distributed on
    home video by Warner Bros., and many of Fox Home Entertainment's other
    TV-on-DVD releases such as '24' are 16:9.

    To complicate matters, foreign DVD releases of Dark Angel are 16:9.

    Joshua Zyber, Dec 1, 2004

  3. Rutgar

    Rutgar Guest

    On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 02:40:51 GMT, "Joshua Zyber"
    <> wrote:

    >"Rutgar" <> wrote in message
    >>I thought about buying the two seasons of Dark Angel today. However,
    >> when I picked up the packages and looked at the specs, I noticed they
    >> both said 1.33:1 AR, Full Screen. I thought DA was letterboxed 16:9,
    >> when it was on the air. If so, then why are the DVD's 1.33:1?
    >>
    >> They lost a sale, due to this B.S.

    >Like most hour-long primetime dramas, the show aired in 4:3 on the
    >network's main broadcast channel and 16:9 on the digital channel.
    >Reportedly, some of the producers said they preferred the 4:3 version
    >and asked the DVD to be presented that way.
    >
    >The DVD box set of The O.C. is the same way.
    >
    >Before you ask, no this is not a Fox thing. The O.C. is distributed on
    >home video by Warner Bros., and many of Fox Home Entertainment's other
    >TV-on-DVD releases such as '24' are 16:9.
    >
    >To complicate matters, foreign DVD releases of Dark Angel are 16:9.

    Yes, I have the first two seasons of "24", and they look great in
    anamorphic widescreen. As well as "Firefly". And, since the moron
    "producers" of Dark Angel elected to issue the series in lame-ass 4:3,
    I won't be buying it.

    Makes me wonder how many other people would have bought it, if it had
    been 16:9?

    Rutgar, Dec 1, 2004
  4. Rutgar

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, Rutgar
    <> wrote:

    > Yes, I have the first two seasons of "24", and they look great in
    > anamorphic widescreen. As well as "Firefly". And, since the moron
    > "producers" of Dark Angel elected to issue the series in lame-ass 4:3,
    > I won't be buying it.
    >
    > Makes me wonder how many other people would have bought it, if it had
    > been 16:9?

    I have to admit it doesn't matter to me. If the creators prefer it 4:3,
    I'll watch it in that ratio. It's not like I care if it fills a
    widescreen tv or not :)

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Dec 1, 2004
  5. Rutgar

    jayembee Guest

    "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote:

    > Before you ask, no this is not a Fox thing. The O.C. is distributed on
    > home video by Warner Bros., and many of Fox Home Entertainment's other
    > TV-on-DVD releases such as '24' are 16:9.

    On the other hand, Fox also releases THE SHIELD in 4:3 in Region 1,
    while Columbia's Region 2 releases are in 16:9. It's obvious from the
    framing that 16:9 is what it should be. To add salt to the wound, the
    deleted scenes on the R1 release are in 16:9.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Dec 1, 2004
  6. Rutgar

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "jayembee" <> wrote in message
    > On the other hand, Fox also releases THE SHIELD in 4:3 in Region 1,
    > while Columbia's Region 2 releases are in 16:9. It's obvious from the
    > framing that 16:9 is what it should be.

    Do you have the Region 2? I've been curious, but I think the cramped
    nature of the 4:3 framing is fairly effective for that show.

    Joshua Zyber, Dec 1, 2004
  7. Rutgar

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Rutgar" <> wrote in message
    > Makes me wonder how many other people would have bought it, if it had
    > been 16:9?

    Probably not as many as those who are more likely to buy it since it
    doesn't have "those derned black bar thingies" on their 13" TV.

    Joshua Zyber, Dec 1, 2004
  8. Rutgar

    jayembee Guest

    "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote:

    >"jayembee" <> wrote:
    >
    >> On the other hand, Fox also releases THE SHIELD in 4:3 in Region 1,
    >> while Columbia's Region 2 releases are in 16:9. It's obvious from the
    >> framing that 16:9 is what it should be.

    > Do you have the Region 2? I've been curious, but I think the cramped
    > nature of the 4:3 framing is fairly effective for that show.

    Yes, I have the R2s for both seasons (so far).

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Dec 1, 2004
  9. Rutgar

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "jayembee" <> wrote in message
    >>> On the other hand, Fox also releases THE SHIELD in 4:3 in Region 1,
    >>> while Columbia's Region 2 releases are in 16:9. It's obvious from
    >>> the
    >>> framing that 16:9 is what it should be.

    >> Do you have the Region 2? I've been curious, but I think the cramped
    >> nature of the 4:3 framing is fairly effective for that show.

    > Yes, I have the R2s for both seasons (so far).

    Any issues with flubs in the extra picture information?

    Joshua Zyber, Dec 1, 2004
  10. Rutgar

    napalm68 Guest

    Strangely, a few shows that get released in R1 land in 4:3 are 16:9 in
    Australia and the UK (Dark Angel, Buffy (season 4 on), Angel season 2/3 on)

    napalm68, Dec 1, 2004
  11. Rutgar

    jayembee Guest

    "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote:

    >>> Do you have the Region 2? I've been curious, but I think the cramped
    >>> nature of the 4:3 framing is fairly effective for that show.

    >> Yes, I have the R2s for both seasons (so far).

    > Any issues with flubs in the extra picture information?

    Not that I've noticed.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Dec 1, 2004
  12. Rutgar

    Justin Guest

    jayembee wrote on [Wed, 01 Dec 2004 07:25:00 GMT]:
    > "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote:
    >
    >>"jayembee" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On the other hand, Fox also releases THE SHIELD in 4:3 in Region 1,
    >>> while Columbia's Region 2 releases are in 16:9. It's obvious from the
    >>> framing that 16:9 is what it should be.

    >> Do you have the Region 2? I've been curious, but I think the cramped
    >> nature of the 4:3 framing is fairly effective for that show.

    > Yes, I have the R2s for both seasons (so far).

    so far?

    Justin, Dec 1, 2004
  13. Rutgar

    jayembee Guest

    "napalm68" <> wrote:

    > Strangely, a few shows that get released in R1 land in 4:3
    > are 16:9 in Australia and the UK (Dark Angel, Buffy (season
    > 4 on), Angel season 2/3 on)

    ANGEL Season 1 is 4:3 in both Region 1 and Region 2.
    Seasons 2-4 are 16:9 in both Region 1 and Region 2.

    Can't say about Region 4.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Dec 1, 2004
  14. Rutgar

    Rutgar Guest

    On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 22:19:16 -0500, Invid Fan <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>, Rutgar
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >> Yes, I have the first two seasons of "24", and they look great in
    >> anamorphic widescreen. As well as "Firefly". And, since the moron
    >> "producers" of Dark Angel elected to issue the series in lame-ass 4:3,
    >> I won't be buying it.
    >>
    >> Makes me wonder how many other people would have bought it, if it had
    >> been 16:9?

    >I have to admit it doesn't matter to me. If the creators prefer it 4:3,
    >I'll watch it in that ratio. It's not like I care if it fills a
    >widescreen tv or not :)

    I have a 16x9 front projector with a 100" screen. It's not so much
    about the "Filling the Screen", as it is getting the higher resolution
    and light output from an anamorphic DVD. Since I watched DA on a
    widescreen TV on FOX's pseudo HD channel, It was always 16 x 9 to me.
    So, I just naturally thought the DVD should ve also.

    Rutgar, Dec 2, 2004
  15. Rutgar

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "jayembee" <> wrote in message
    >> Strangely, a few shows that get released in R1 land in 4:3
    >> are 16:9 in Australia and the UK (Dark Angel, Buffy (season
    >> 4 on), Angel season 2/3 on)

    > ANGEL Season 1 is 4:3 in both Region 1 and Region 2.
    > Seasons 2-4 are 16:9 in both Region 1 and Region 2.
    >
    > Can't say about Region 4.

    Region 4 is mostly the same, except that Season 3 is presented 4:3
    against the wishes of the show's creators. Even its first run on the WB
    network aired in letterbox format on the analog channel. Other than the
    Region 4 DVD, the only place that season has been shown 4:3 were
    syndicated reruns.

    Joshua Zyber, Dec 2, 2004
  16. Rutgar

    napalm68 Guest

    In Australia/R4, Season 1 and 2 of Angel were 4:3, and season 3 and 4 of
    Angel were 16:9. I ended up getting the R2 set of Season 2 for that reason.

    napalm68, Dec 2, 2004
  17. Rutgar

    Jay G. Guest

    On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 00:14:33 GMT, Rutgar wrote:
    > I have a 16x9 front projector with a 100" screen. It's not so much
    > about the "Filling the Screen", as it is getting the higher resolution
    > and light output from an anamorphic DVD.

    Anamorphic DVDs don't have a higher resolution than a Full Screen DVD.

    -Jay

    Jay G., Dec 2, 2004
  18. Rutgar

    Rutgar Guest

    On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 11:12:00 -0600, "Jay G." <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 00:14:33 GMT, Rutgar wrote:
    >> I have a 16x9 front projector with a 100" screen. It's not so much
    >> about the "Filling the Screen", as it is getting the higher resolution
    >> and light output from an anamorphic DVD.

    >Anamorphic DVDs don't have a higher resolution than a Full Screen DVD.
    >
    >-Jay

    Er, yes they do.

    Rutgar, Dec 2, 2004
  19. Rutgar

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Rutgar" <> wrote in message
    >>> I have a 16x9 front projector with a 100" screen. It's not so much
    >>> about the "Filling the Screen", as it is getting the higher
    >>> resolution
    >>> and light output from an anamorphic DVD.

    >>Anamorphic DVDs don't have a higher resolution than a Full Screen DVD.

    > Er, yes they do.

    No, he's right, they don't. All DVDs have the same resolution: 720x480
    pixels. Anamorphic DVDs are better than non-anamorphic letterbox DVDs
    because they don't waste as many of those pixels creating the black
    letterbox bars, instead dedicating them to the active picture content.
    Comparing an anamorphic DVD to a 4:3 "full-screen" DVD, however, both
    have the some number of active pixels; it's just that one of them is
    stretched sideways into a 16:9 shape and the other remains 4:3.

    Joshua Zyber, Dec 2, 2004
  20. Joshua Zyber wrote:

    > "Rutgar" <> wrote in message

    >>>Anamorphic DVDs don't have a higher resolution than a Full Screen DVD.

    >>Er, yes they do.

    > No, he's right, they don't. All DVDs have the same resolution: 720x480
    > pixels. Anamorphic DVDs are better than non-anamorphic letterbox DVDs
    > because they don't waste as many of those pixels creating the black
    > letterbox bars, instead dedicating them to the active picture content.
    > Comparing an anamorphic DVD to a 4:3 "full-screen" DVD, however, both
    > have the some number of active pixels; it's just that one of them is
    > stretched sideways into a 16:9 shape and the other remains 4:3.

    As is often the case, Joshua is correct.

    Matthew

    You can't win
    You can't break even
    You can't get out of the game