    Paying $1500.00 for a camera today with all the new technology there is no
    reason for any one to have a bad picture on auto.Most P a S do a better job
    than this.
    Robert, Oct 5, 2004

  2. Robert

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "Robert"

    > Is it normal for the Flash pictures to come out too dark using the flash.
    >
    >Now I am hearing that the 20D has to be set to a higher level to make it
    >work right.

    On several of the Canon dSLR's there's a Custom Function that defaults to
    having the flash work primarily as a fill-flash, which means the exposures are
    a bit dark if you wanted flash for the main light. Changing this CF should fix
    your problem if the 20D has this CF.

    Bill
    Bill Hilton, Oct 5, 2004

  3. Robert wrote:
    > Is it normal for the Flash pictures to come out too dark using the flash.
    > If so this is a problem as my older A1 film camera with it 20 year old
    > technology never gave a bad exposure using the 533G BIG flash, and it was
    > always on the automode.It would work from 3' to 12' away and all was right
    > on. Now I am hearing that the 20D has to be set to a higher level to make
    > it
    > work right. I would think by now most cameras today could be at least as
    > good.
    > Paying $1500.00 for a camera today with all the new technology there is
    > no
    > reason for any one to have a bad picture on auto.Most P a S do a better
    > job
    > than this.

    Problems with underexposed flash photos have been reported by a number
    of people. There seems to be three issues.

    1. A weak built in flash with people expecting too much from it.
    Reports of problems with other flashes have been few or none.

    2. incorrect settings used. I believe Bill commented on this.

    3. A software problem. There has been a software upgrade issued. I
    would hold off a couple of weeks to see how that goes. I don't know if the
    upgrade address this issue. As I understand it the software issue results
    in a very small amount of underexposure, like ½ or ¼ stop error.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
    Joseph Meehan, Oct 5, 2004