    does 5744 play in a triple boot situation? I can't afford a system meltdown,
    but as long as x86 or 64 bit XP remains intact I'm willing to take the
    chance with Vista.
    Dennis Gordon, Oct 11, 2006

  2. Dennis Gordon

    John Barnes Guest

    While there haven't been as many disasters reported since beta2 it is still
    safest to install Vista with your other systems disconnected. Then you can
    either set up the Vista boot process to multi boot or if you have a BIOS
    that easily allows you choose the system drive at boot time, you could
    choose that route.

    John Barnes, Oct 11, 2006

  3. Yes, you can triple boot. Get your old versions in there first, then install
    Vista.

    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/search.aspx?q=dual boot&p=1

    I have one machine that is currently quad-booting. Vista and LH Server, XP
    and Server 2k3. All 64bit.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 11, 2006
  4. Many years ago, I had a machine configured to triple boot. One day, I took
    a hit on my C drive that corrupted the FAT and took out all three operating
    systems. While that may have been a once-in-a-lifetime occurrence, I
    decided that from that day forward, I would use a hardware switch to select
    from independent physical drives.

    Of course, I can't share information easily, since only one drive is active
    at a time. I use one drive as my development system and the others as test
    environments. I can easily write out a test suite on a memory stick and
    read it back in under one of the other systems. It works for me.

    Jim Henriksen, Oct 11, 2006
  5. Not on a production or primary home computer.

    After Vista goes gold you might, but be aware that booting into XP destroys
    Vista system restore points and other VSS copies so you may want to follow
    John's advice to make sure XP cannot see the Vista volumes at all.

    Colin Barnhorst, Oct 11, 2006
  6. Dennis:
    I am currently running triple boot.
    1.- Windows XP 32 bit
    2.- Windows XP x64
    3.- Windows Vista x64 rc1
    No problems so far.
    I have My Documents, Favorites and Outlook database in a separate partition
    shared by the 3 operating systems with absolutely no problems.
    I can edit a document in Vista and later continue working on XP.
    I can read my e-mail in XP x64 and later edit it in Vista x64.

    I am also planning to go to quad boot, adding Vista x64 rc2.
    RC2 cannot complete the upgrade on top of RC1!

    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Oct 11, 2006
  7. Man, this is the whole gamut of possibilities to ponder...;-) Thanks guys.

    I guess installing with the other drives not there, and selecting the boot
    drive in the BIOS would be the safest, since you have to reboot anyways to
    switch OS if the BIOS will allow me to select among 3 different SCSI drives
    (not sure about that), so one more time for the switch isn't that much of a
    hassle. OTOH, as Carlos & Charlie point out, a triple boot can be done, so
    I'm tempted to give that a try (on a weekend when I have plenty of time to
    fix my errors). I could also clone my C drive as it is (I have a spare scsi
    drive), try the triple boot, and if I run into problems, swap the clone
    drive back. If I wasn't so busy these days, I'd have tried it by now. Just
    don't want to do something dumber than usual.

    Dennis Gordon, Oct 11, 2006
  8. Quad boot is up and running right now.
    No problems so far.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Oct 11, 2006
  9. What, no Linux, BeOS, Atari TOS, WIN3.1 or 95?

    Dennis Gordon, Oct 12, 2006
  10. Sure. But in virtual machines using Virtual Server and VPC 2007 beta.

    Colin Barnhorst, Oct 13, 2006
  11. Dennis Gordon

    Theo Guest

    I didn't find any support for guest USB nor any
    non-Microsoft OS in VPC 2007. It appears to be strictly
    Microsoft oriented.

    Theo, Oct 13, 2006
  12. There is no usb support planned for VPC. For Linux running in VPC, see
    http://vpc.visualwin.com/. The listing is for VPC 2004. Retesting with
    2007 beta is yeilding similar results. The keyword you are using with
    regards to Linux is "support" and that means "supported by Microsoft Product
    Support Services." Over a thousand Linux distros do run, though.

    Colin Barnhorst, Oct 13, 2006
  13. I had a quadruple boot - XP English/XP Spanish/Vista 32 bit/Vista 64 bit that
    worked fine. The Spanish went off to another computer and I decided to stick
    with Vista 64 bit, so I was down to just a dual boot. 1 drive had 3
    partitions - Vista/XP/Data and a 2nd small drive had music. All was fine
    until 2 days ago when a virus got through Avast (groan!) on XP. I couldn't
    get rid of it so, without thinking deeply, I reformatted the XP partition.
    Then I found I couldn't boot to Vista. Why? Because the boot information had
    been on the XP partition (God knows why Vista did that!). Next problem was
    that - although I had reformatted the partition - I couldn't re-instal XP on
    it. part the way through the installation it came up with 'disc error' but
    there was nothing wrong with the disc (used SeaTools to check it). That 'disc
    error' was something created by Vista. I could NOT get round it, no matter
    what I tried. My only option was to reformat the whole drive and reload XP
    and Vista. In the process I lost all my data, only the music on drive 2 was
    retained. Colin

    =?Utf-8?B?U3BpcmVmbQ==?=, Oct 15, 2006
  14. Dennis Gordon

    John Barnes Guest

    " Because the boot information had
    > been on the XP partition (God knows why Vista did that!).

    Vista, like XP installs the boot files on the system drive (first drive in
    boot order and active partition)
    John Barnes, Oct 15, 2006