    All bar the Autumn pics were shot with a Casio QV2900UX 2.1Mp compact.
    The Autumn pics were shot with my new Pentax istDL.

    Simon Steel
    simon, Oct 25, 2005

  2. "simon" <> wrote in message
    news:djm25o$u0l$2surf.net...
    > I'd welcome any input.
    >
    > www.srsteel.co.uk
    >
    > Where (if anywhere) am I going right...?
    > Where am I going wrong..?
    > (I know that the web layout is a bit shaky in places and some of the
    > horizons on the panoramas are a bit on the slide)
    >
    > All bar the Autumn pics were shot with a Casio QV2900UX 2.1Mp compact.
    > The Autumn pics were shot with my new Pentax istDL.
    >
    > Simon Steel

    Hi Simon,

    I would try a little rotation before you crop to get the horizon level and
    tall buildings standing straight.

    Also the angle of the "Hoad" makes it look like a, um, you know what. ;-)
    Dave R knows who, Oct 25, 2005

  3. simon

    Marvin Guest

    simon wrote:
    > I'd welcome any input.
    >
    > www.srsteel.co.uk
    >
    > Where (if anywhere) am I going right...?
    > Where am I going wrong..?
    > (I know that the web layout is a bit shaky in places and some of the
    > horizons on the panoramas are a bit on the slide)
    >
    > All bar the Autumn pics were shot with a Casio QV2900UX 2.1Mp compact.
    > The Autumn pics were shot with my new Pentax istDL.
    >
    > Simon Steel

    My usual rant about Web pages with black backgrounds: When you look at a dark object,
    your pupils open wide to admit more light. As in a camera, a larger opening makes
    resolution worse. If you want the viewer to see your pictures best, make the background
    white or a light color.
    Marvin, Oct 25, 2005
  4. simon

    This old Bob Guest

    "Marvin" <> wrote in message
    > simon wrote:
    >> I'd welcome any input.
    >>
    >> www.srsteel.co.uk
    >>
    >> Where (if anywhere) am I going right...?
    >> Where am I going wrong..?
    >> (I know that the web layout is a bit shaky in places and some of the
    >> horizons on the panoramas are a bit on the slide)
    >>
    >> All bar the Autumn pics were shot with a Casio QV2900UX 2.1Mp compact.
    >> The Autumn pics were shot with my new Pentax istDL.
    >>
    >> Simon Steel
    >>

    > My usual rant about Web pages with black backgrounds: When you look at a
    > dark object, your pupils open wide to admit more light. As in a camera, a
    > larger opening makes resolution worse. If you want the viewer to see your
    > pictures best, make the background white or a light color.

    And I disagree. Light backgrounds can be too contrasty. Maybe I like my eyes
    to open up? I dunno, but I tried white after reading a similar post here
    (yours?) and then changed back to black.
    This old Bob, Oct 25, 2005
  5. simon

    Marvin Guest

    This old Bob wrote:
    > "Marvin" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>simon wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'd welcome any input.
    >>>
    >>>www.srsteel.co.uk
    >>>
    >>>Where (if anywhere) am I going right...?
    >>>Where am I going wrong..?
    >>>(I know that the web layout is a bit shaky in places and some of the
    >>>horizons on the panoramas are a bit on the slide)
    >>>
    >>>All bar the Autumn pics were shot with a Casio QV2900UX 2.1Mp compact.
    >>>The Autumn pics were shot with my new Pentax istDL.
    >>>
    >>>Simon Steel
    >>>

    >>My usual rant about Web pages with black backgrounds: When you look at a
    >>dark object, your pupils open wide to admit more light. As in a camera, a
    >>larger opening makes resolution worse. If you want the viewer to see your
    >>pictures best, make the background white or a light color.

    > And I disagree. Light backgrounds can be too contrasty. Maybe I like my eyes
    > to open up? I dunno, but I tried white after reading a similar post here
    > (yours?) and then changed back to black.

    An engineer who reported to me complained that the light at his desk wasn't bright enough.
    It looked o\OK to me, so I asked a few questions. It turned out that he had been told
    he should wear glasses, but didn't want to.

    Not everyone's eyes are as good as yours.
    Marvin, Oct 25, 2005
  6. simon

    Eric Miller Guest

    "simon" <> wrote in message
    > I'd welcome any input.
    >
    > www.srsteel.co.uk
    >
    > Where (if anywhere) am I going right...?
    > Where am I going wrong..?
    > (I know that the web layout is a bit shaky in places and some of the
    > horizons on the panoramas are a bit on the slide)
    >
    > All bar the Autumn pics were shot with a Casio QV2900UX 2.1Mp compact.
    > The Autumn pics were shot with my new Pentax istDL.
    >
    > Simon Steel

    Get an alarm clock. It will help your landscape photos immensely.

    Set it for just before sunrise and about 2 hours before sunset. Make it a
    point to be in position to start shooting photos when the alarm goes off.

    It seems as if all your photos were taken during the middle of the day. This
    is not to say that they are bad, just that many of them could be improved,
    IMHO, by reshooting with the sun at lower angles.

    Eric Miller
    Eric Miller, Oct 25, 2005
  7. simon

    Mark² Guest

    simon wrote:
    > I'd welcome any input.
    >
    > www.srsteel.co.uk
    >
    > Where (if anywhere) am I going right...?
    > Where am I going wrong..?
    > (I know that the web layout is a bit shaky in places and some of the
    > horizons on the panoramas are a bit on the slide)
    >
    > All bar the Autumn pics were shot with a Casio QV2900UX 2.1Mp compact.
    > The Autumn pics were shot with my new Pentax istDL.
    >
    > Simon Steel

    Is there some reason why almost all your New England panoramas tilt downward
    on the right (off-level)?
    Mark², Oct 26, 2005
  8. simon

    simon Guest

    Re the un-level pics.
    They were taken and stitched together without being re-levelled up first. (I
    had not discovered that function at the time).
    Not sure why they lean initally though - having reviewed them again it is
    apparent that they all show this trend. Must be my shoddy technique at the
    time of shooting. However, I used panorama factory and it seems to have made
    the lean worse - I will correct them eventually.

    Re the landscapes and the comment about being taken mid day - you're right,
    they mostly were shot mid-day to late afternoon.
    I should make an effort to get out earlier...

    Thanks for the comments though.

    SS
    simon, Oct 26, 2005
  9. simon

    Ron Hunter Guest

    This old Bob wrote:
    > "Marvin" <> wrote in message
    >> simon wrote:
    >>> I'd welcome any input.
    >>>
    >>> www.srsteel.co.uk
    >>>
    >>> Where (if anywhere) am I going right...?
    >>> Where am I going wrong..?
    >>> (I know that the web layout is a bit shaky in places and some of the
    >>> horizons on the panoramas are a bit on the slide)
    >>>
    >>> All bar the Autumn pics were shot with a Casio QV2900UX 2.1Mp compact.
    >>> The Autumn pics were shot with my new Pentax istDL.
    >>>
    >>> Simon Steel
    >>>

    >> My usual rant about Web pages with black backgrounds: When you look at a
    >> dark object, your pupils open wide to admit more light. As in a camera, a
    >> larger opening makes resolution worse. If you want the viewer to see your
    >> pictures best, make the background white or a light color.

    > And I disagree. Light backgrounds can be too contrasty. Maybe I like my eyes
    > to open up? I dunno, but I tried white after reading a similar post here
    > (yours?) and then changed back to black.

    Perhaps a nice medium gray.....

    --
    Ron Hunter
    Ron Hunter, Oct 26, 2005
  10. simon

    Roy Guest

    "simon" <> wrote in message
    > I'd welcome any input.
    >
    > www.srsteel.co.uk
    >
    > Where (if anywhere) am I going right...?
    > Where am I going wrong..?
    > (I know that the web layout is a bit shaky in places and some of the
    > horizons on the panoramas are a bit on the slide)
    >
    > All bar the Autumn pics were shot with a Casio QV2900UX 2.1Mp compact.
    > The Autumn pics were shot with my new Pentax istDL.
    >
    > Simon Steel

    Hi there.

    You should have changed to a DSLR earlier. The difference in quality is
    very obvious, and probably has more to do with accurate exposure measurement
    and framing than file size.

    Your use of colour in the autumn shots is good. The lack of vibrant colour
    spoils the Gable End Murals. I have seen these and the colours are very
    strong.

    the P & S stuff, it is detracting from your abilities.

    Roy G
    Roy, Oct 27, 2005
  11. simon

    simon Guest

    I've tried to bring out some of the better aspects of the pictures shot with
    it using Photoshop.
    The limitations of the 2.1 mP files shot as jpeg Vs the Autumn shots taken
    with the DSLR using RAW are all too apparent.

    Thanks for the input..

    SS

    simon, Oct 27, 2005
  12. simon

    al-Farrob Guest

    simon wrote:

    > I'd welcome any input.
    >
    > www.srsteel.co.uk
    >
    > Where (if anywhere) am I going right...?
    > Where am I going wrong..?
    > (I know that the web layout is a bit shaky in places and some of the
    > horizons on the panoramas are a bit on the slide)
    >
    > All bar the Autumn pics were shot with a Casio QV2900UX 2.1Mp compact.
    > The Autumn pics were shot with my new Pentax istDL.
    >
    > Simon Steel

    Some very good stuff
    I agree with Marvin

    --
    al-Farrob
    http://www.al-farrob.com - new photos every week
    al-Farrob, Oct 27, 2005
  13. In article <djm25o$u0l$2surf.net>, simon
    <> writes
    >I'd welcome any input.
    >
    >www.srsteel.co.uk
    >
    >Where (if anywhere) am I going right...?
    >Where am I going wrong..?
    >(I know that the web layout is a bit shaky in places and some of the
    >horizons on the panoramas are a bit on the slide)
    >
    >All bar the Autumn pics were shot with a Casio QV2900UX 2.1Mp compact.
    >The Autumn pics were shot with my new Pentax istDL.
    >
    >Simon Steel

    The shots are mostly very good. In fact, bearing in mind the equipment,
    amazingly so.

    The Lakes panoramas are very impressive; I found the NI ones dull by
    comparison - under-saturated, as someone else said. I liked the Essex
    Autumn pictures, though from the small size it's hard to tell about the
    quality. Whereabouts in Essex were you? I used to live in South Essex
    many years ago, horrible area...

    There also quite a few under-exposed shots. I noted Cammock Water,
    Wastwater, Boston Skyline and Cadillac Mountain as being 0.5-1.0 stops
    under. With your new DSLR, hopefully you will be able to shoot RAW,
    which will give you more scope for post-exposure corrections. However,
    you can do a lot (even for JPEGs) using the mid-tone slider in Photoshop
    - Image - Adjust - Levels. This will lift the large areas of mid-tone
    without blowing out the highlights or washing out the shadows.

    And why oh why would you "publish" photos with such wonky horizons. It
    is better to show fewer photos but get them right.

    But, that said, you have a good eye, and I don't want the comments to
    discourage you, they are just to help; you can obviously do excellent
    work.

    David
    --
    David Littlewood
    David Littlewood, Nov 2, 2005
  14. simon

    simon Guest

    within the next few hours the 'Wonky horizon' panoramas will be updated
    having been totally re-worked.

    They were originally put on there in answer to a question about Panoramas.
    As one poster pointed out - Panorama Factory produces wonky horizons
    sometimes.
    I've re-worked the stitching with CS2.

    Please do re-visit and check out the re-worked versions...
    simon, Nov 2, 2005
  15. simon

    simon Guest

    I forgot to add.
    I response to your question...I'm in Braintree.
    The Autumnal shots were taken at Hatfield Forest near Chelmsford.

    Simon.
    simon, Nov 2, 2005
  16. In article <dkbhbe$3il$2surf.net>, simon
    <> writes
    >I forgot to add.
    >I response to your question...I'm in Braintree.
    >The Autumnal shots were taken at Hatfield Forest near Chelmsford.

    Ah yes, it gets a lot nicer up there.

    David
    --
    David Littlewood