Dapper

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Shane, Jun 1, 2006.

  1. Shane

    Shane Guest

    For the people not lurking on nzlug
    (As posted by Craig Box)
    It's here.

    https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2006-June/000083.html

    There are 9 ISOs in total (three architectures, three types of CD;
    desktop (live CD), server and 'alternate install', which I believe is
    the original text mode install CD).  I suspect someone might like to
    arrange a NZ mirror?

    Craig

    __EOF__

    Ubuntu Kubuntu Xubuntu and Edubuntu are all shipping out cds. And I believe
    Liz at Debian.co.nz is hosting a mirror.
    Im getting the 32 bit Kubuntu cds sent out, 5 of, and downloading the 64 bit
    kubuntu (Id prefer to create less traffic cost for them by having the cds
    sent out but meh)

    Anyway, now you know... and have no excuse
    --
    Rule 6: There is no rule 6

    Shane, Jun 1, 2006

  2. Shane

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > For the people not lurking on nzlug
    > (As posted by Craig Box)
    > It's here.
    >
    > https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2006-June/000083.html
    >
    > There are 9 ISOs in total (three architectures, three types of CD;
    > desktop (live CD), server and 'alternate install', which I believe is
    > the original text mode install CD). I suspect someone might like to
    > arrange a NZ mirror?
    >
    > Craig
    >
    > __EOF__
    >
    > Ubuntu Kubuntu Xubuntu and Edubuntu are all shipping out cds. And I believe
    > Liz at Debian.co.nz is hosting a mirror.
    > Im getting the 32 bit Kubuntu cds sent out, 5 of, and downloading the 64 bit
    > kubuntu (Id prefer to create less traffic cost for them by having the cds
    > sent out but meh)

    That's what Bittorrent is for:

    http://mirror.isp.net.au/ftp/pub/ubuntu-releases/6.06/ubuntu-6.06-desktop-i386.iso.torrent

    magnet:?xt=urn:btih:4KLLK2D7MMKQ7SW3R4QPLES3SS5BX3F7

    Fast, too.

    -=rjh=-, Jun 1, 2006

  3. Shane

    shannon Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > For the people not lurking on nzlug
    > (As posted by Craig Box)
    > It's here.
    >
    > https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2006-June/000083.html
    >
    > There are 9 ISOs in total (three architectures, three types of CD;
    > desktop (live CD), server and 'alternate install', which I believe is
    > the original text mode install CD). I suspect someone might like to
    > arrange a NZ mirror?
    >
    > Craig
    >
    > __EOF__
    >
    > Ubuntu Kubuntu Xubuntu and Edubuntu are all shipping out cds. And I believe
    > Liz at Debian.co.nz is hosting a mirror.
    > Im getting the 32 bit Kubuntu cds sent out, 5 of, and downloading the 64 bit
    > kubuntu (Id prefer to create less traffic cost for them by having the cds
    > sent out but meh)
    >
    > Anyway, now you know... and have no excuse

    The upgrade process is one of the coolest things about debian based distros
    I apt-get dist-upgraded last night, and it worked perfectly.
    A dapper /etc/apt/sources.list is at
    http://paste.ubuntu-nl.org/6666

    modify for a mirror if you want.

    and apt-get dist-upgrade or run synaptic

    or you can run gksudo “update-manager -dâ€

    shannon, Jun 1, 2006
  4. Shane

    shannon Guest

    shannon wrote:
    > Shane wrote:
    >> For the people not lurking on nzlug
    >> (As posted by Craig Box)
    >> It's here.
    >>
    >> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2006-June/000083.html
    >>
    >> There are 9 ISOs in total (three architectures, three types of CD;
    >> desktop (live CD), server and 'alternate install', which I believe is
    >> the original text mode install CD). I suspect someone might like to
    >> arrange a NZ mirror?
    >>
    >> Craig
    >>
    >> __EOF__
    >>
    >> Ubuntu Kubuntu Xubuntu and Edubuntu are all shipping out cds. And I
    >> believe
    >> Liz at Debian.co.nz is hosting a mirror.
    >> Im getting the 32 bit Kubuntu cds sent out, 5 of, and downloading the
    >> 64 bit
    >> kubuntu (Id prefer to create less traffic cost for them by having the cds
    >> sent out but meh)
    >>
    >> Anyway, now you know... and have no excuse

    > The upgrade process is one of the coolest things about debian based distros
    > I apt-get dist-upgraded last night, and it worked perfectly.
    > A dapper /etc/apt/sources.list is at
    > http://paste.ubuntu-nl.org/6666
    >
    > modify for a mirror if you want.
    >
    > and apt-get dist-upgrade or run synaptic
    >
    > or you can run gksudo “update-manager -dâ€

    Here's the guide to upgrading the easy way

    shannon, Jun 1, 2006
  5. Shane

    Shane Guest

    shannon wrote:

    > Shane wrote:
    >> For the people not lurking on nzlug
    >> (As posted by Craig Box)
    >> It's here.
    >>
    >> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2006-June/000083.html
    >>
    >> There are 9 ISOs in total (three architectures, three types of CD;
    >> desktop (live CD), server and 'alternate install', which I believe is
    >> the original text mode install CD). I suspect someone might like to
    >> arrange a NZ mirror?
    >>
    >> Craig
    >>
    >> __EOF__
    >>
    >> Ubuntu Kubuntu Xubuntu and Edubuntu are all shipping out cds. And I
    >> believe Liz at Debian.co.nz is hosting a mirror.
    >> Im getting the 32 bit Kubuntu cds sent out, 5 of, and downloading the 64
    >> bit kubuntu (Id prefer to create less traffic cost for them by having the
    >> cds sent out but meh)
    >>
    >> Anyway, now you know... and have no excuse

    > The upgrade process is one of the coolest things about debian based
    > distros I apt-get dist-upgraded last night, and it worked perfectly.
    > A dapper /etc/apt/sources.list is at
    > http://paste.ubuntu-nl.org/6666
    >
    > modify for a mirror if you want.
    >
    > and apt-get dist-upgrade or run synaptic
    >
    > or you can run gksudo “update-manager -dâ€

    Awesome, thats this box upgraded (overnight cron job upcoming)
    Will still require the cds, and the 64 bit (want to hear a story about
    buying a laptop from dick smith, asking specifically for one with no
    hardware issues with linux only to have kde bork on it, and the wifi
    requiring a softswitch not available to linux?)

    Between yours and -=rjh=- bittorrent suggestion (I will leave it running for
    the month as my upload doesnt [yet] impact on my cap) thats me covered for
    dapper

    --
    Rule 6: There is no rule 6

    Shane, Jun 2, 2006
  6. On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 07:55:31 +1200, Shane wrote:

    > For the people not lurking on nzlug
    > (As posted by Craig Box)
    > It's here.
    >
    > https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2006-June/000083.html
    >
    > There are 9 ISOs in total (three architectures, three types of CD;
    > desktop (live CD), server and 'alternate install', which I believe is
    > the original text mode install CD).  I suspect someone might like to
    > arrange a NZ mirror?
    >
    > Craig
    >
    > __EOF__
    >
    > Ubuntu Kubuntu Xubuntu and Edubuntu are all shipping out cds. And I believe
    > Liz at Debian.co.nz is hosting a mirror.
    > Im getting the 32 bit Kubuntu cds sent out, 5 of, and downloading the 64 bit
    > kubuntu (Id prefer to create less traffic cost for them by having the cds
    > sent out but meh)
    >
    > Anyway, now you know... and have no excuse

    well isos at least at:

    ftp://debian.co.nz/ubuntu-iso/dapper/

    I'm leeching ye shit out of it at 450 KB/s...

    wogers nemesis, Jun 2, 2006
  7. Shane

    Adam Guest

    On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 17:54:19 +1200, wogers nemesis wrote:

    >On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 07:55:31 +1200, Shane wrote:
    >
    >> For the people not lurking on nzlug
    >> (As posted by Craig Box)
    >> It's here.
    >>
    >> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2006-June/000083.html
    >>
    >> There are 9 ISOs in total (three architectures, three types of CD;
    >> desktop (live CD), server and 'alternate install', which I believe is
    >> the original text mode install CD).  I suspect someone might like to
    >> arrange a NZ mirror?
    >>
    >> Craig
    >>
    >> __EOF__
    >>
    >> Ubuntu Kubuntu Xubuntu and Edubuntu are all shipping out cds. And I believe
    >> Liz at Debian.co.nz is hosting a mirror.
    >> Im getting the 32 bit Kubuntu cds sent out, 5 of, and downloading the 64 bit
    >> kubuntu (Id prefer to create less traffic cost for them by having the cds
    >> sent out but meh)
    >>
    >> Anyway, now you know... and have no excuse

    >well isos at least at:
    >
    >ftp://debian.co.nz/ubuntu-iso/dapper/
    >
    >I'm leeching ye shit out of it at 450 KB/s...

    Hehe ... took them a while to get them on ... but hey ... :))

    I offered this last time - if anyone out there is severely bandwidth
    or speed limited, drop me an e-mail and I'll mail you a CD or two -
    for the price of a donation to Starship or something.

    I ordered some free ones vis "Shipit" so I'm happy to help out till
    they arrive - providing others share them as well and I don't get
    deluged! BTW - my last set came pretty quickly - well ahead of the 4-6
    weeks they quote.

    I only have the Desktop/Live CD and the Server ones so far.

    Still in the process of installing all the "goodies" - but the basic
    install went without a hitch ... and it's looking good!

    Adam.

    Adam, Jun 2, 2006
  8. Shane

    -=rjh=- Guest

    shannon wrote:
    > Shane wrote:
    >> For the people not lurking on nzlug
    >> (As posted by Craig Box)
    >> It's here.
    >>
    >> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2006-June/000083.html
    >>
    >> There are 9 ISOs in total (three architectures, three types of CD;
    >> desktop (live CD), server and 'alternate install', which I believe is
    >> the original text mode install CD). I suspect someone might like to
    >> arrange a NZ mirror?
    >>
    >> Craig
    >>
    >> __EOF__
    >>
    >> Ubuntu Kubuntu Xubuntu and Edubuntu are all shipping out cds. And I
    >> believe
    >> Liz at Debian.co.nz is hosting a mirror.
    >> Im getting the 32 bit Kubuntu cds sent out, 5 of, and downloading the
    >> 64 bit
    >> kubuntu (Id prefer to create less traffic cost for them by having the cds
    >> sent out but meh)
    >>
    >> Anyway, now you know... and have no excuse

    > The upgrade process is one of the coolest things about debian based distros
    > I apt-get dist-upgraded last night, and it worked perfectly.
    > A dapper /etc/apt/sources.list is at
    > http://paste.ubuntu-nl.org/6666
    >
    > modify for a mirror if you want.
    >
    > and apt-get dist-upgrade or run synaptic
    >
    > or you can run gksudo “update-manager -dâ€

    And for those starting fresh, Automatix works on Dapper:

    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=177646

    -=rjh=-, Jun 3, 2006
  9. Shane

    Adam Guest

    A bit of post-install feedback:

    I've played around with various "flavours" of Linux in the past, but
    this has to be the easiest install I've had yet.

    Standard install - it found the Internet, my Windows network and my
    (shared) printer - just like that (it automatically downloaded the
    Samba components for me).

    Next step - Apache, PHP5, MySQL. I just marked them from the Synaptic
    manager and let it rip. Fired up Firefox and blow me down - the whole
    thing was up and running - PHP - everything. I haven't been near an
    ini file yet. This has to be even easier than a LAMP install. So far,
    it's been a completely windowed process. I'm more than happy with
    Gnome as a GUI, so I'll leave it there.

    Open Office 2.0 is looking good - and I downloaded a few extras (HTML
    editor etc.) to complete the install.

    For anyone thinking of moving away from Windows but may be concerned
    about missing the various MS components, there' s hardly a thing not
    that doesn't have a perfectly good equivalent. What's more, the "geek"
    command-line epithet is really a thing of the past.

    I'm not talking techie stuff - security, stability etc. - just how
    things might look to an average *user* that doesn't really want to
    look "under the bonnet".

    Adam.

    Adam, Jun 3, 2006
  10. Shane

    shannon Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > shannon wrote:
    >
    >> Shane wrote:
    >>> For the people not lurking on nzlug
    >>> (As posted by Craig Box)
    >>> It's here.
    >>>
    >>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2006-June/000083.html
    >>>
    >>> There are 9 ISOs in total (three architectures, three types of CD;
    >>> desktop (live CD), server and 'alternate install', which I believe is
    >>> the original text mode install CD). I suspect someone might like to
    >>> arrange a NZ mirror?
    >>>
    >>> Craig
    >>>
    >>> __EOF__
    >>>
    >>> Ubuntu Kubuntu Xubuntu and Edubuntu are all shipping out cds. And I
    >>> believe Liz at Debian.co.nz is hosting a mirror.
    >>> Im getting the 32 bit Kubuntu cds sent out, 5 of, and downloading the 64
    >>> bit kubuntu (Id prefer to create less traffic cost for them by having the
    >>> cds sent out but meh)
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, now you know... and have no excuse

    >> The upgrade process is one of the coolest things about debian based
    >> distros I apt-get dist-upgraded last night, and it worked perfectly.
    >> A dapper /etc/apt/sources.list is at
    >> http://paste.ubuntu-nl.org/6666
    >>
    >> modify for a mirror if you want.
    >>
    >> and apt-get dist-upgrade or run synaptic
    >>
    >> or you can run gksudo “update-manager -dâ€

    > Awesome, thats this box upgraded (overnight cron job upcoming)
    > Will still require the cds, and the 64 bit (want to hear a story about
    > buying a laptop from dick smith, asking specifically for one with no
    > hardware issues with linux only to have kde bork on it, and the wifi
    > requiring a softswitch not available to linux?)
    >
    > Between yours and -=rjh=- bittorrent suggestion (I will leave it running for
    > the month as my upload doesnt [yet] impact on my cap) thats me covered for
    > dapper

    I just tried Dapper run from CD on a Tosh M40 lappy that wouldn't have a
    bar of Breezy and it fired right up with the correct screen res and all
    I had to do was put in my wifi WEP key and I was online with everything
    working.
    Well impressed !!

    shannon, Jun 3, 2006
  11. Shane

    Shane Guest

    shannon wrote:

    > shannon wrote:
    >> Shane wrote:
    >>> For the people not lurking on nzlug
    >>> (As posted by Craig Box)
    >>> It's here.
    >>>
    >>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2006-June/000083.html
    >>>
    >>> There are 9 ISOs in total (three architectures, three types of CD;
    >>> desktop (live CD), server and 'alternate install', which I believe is
    >>> the original text mode install CD). I suspect someone might like to
    >>> arrange a NZ mirror?
    >>>
    >>> Craig
    >>>
    >>> __EOF__
    >>>
    >>> Ubuntu Kubuntu Xubuntu and Edubuntu are all shipping out cds. And I
    >>> believe
    >>> Liz at Debian.co.nz is hosting a mirror.
    >>> Im getting the 32 bit Kubuntu cds sent out, 5 of, and downloading the
    >>> 64 bit
    >>> kubuntu (Id prefer to create less traffic cost for them by having the
    >>> cds sent out but meh)
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, now you know... and have no excuse

    >> The upgrade process is one of the coolest things about debian based
    >> distros I apt-get dist-upgraded last night, and it worked perfectly.
    >> A dapper /etc/apt/sources.list is at
    >> http://paste.ubuntu-nl.org/6666
    >>
    >> modify for a mirror if you want.
    >>
    >> and apt-get dist-upgrade or run synaptic
    >>
    >> or you can run gksudo “update-manager -dâ€

    > Here's the guide to upgrading the easy way

    As can be evidenced by my headers, I have just completed the upgrade. I
    tried 3 times to do it via cron but I kept screwing the script up and did
    it during peak time instead.
    The total downloads took 35 minutes (Ihug 2MB/s coming through at full
    speed :)) and the installation took 45 minutes (celery 1.7 half a gig of
    RAM)
    No issues yet, couple of nice changes to kmail/knode, smileys are now
    translated from text to.. png? or gif which isnt my thing.. but meh
    Nice shiny new kernel 2.6.15-23-386
    KDE 3.5.2 is looking sharp, task bar has had a look over, and I still have
    my kmoon (one upgrade I did a while back kmoon was dropped!!)

    However, Open Office icons are missing from my start.. panel :\
    oowriter, oocalc, that sort of thing
    meh bug report time :)
    --
    Rule 6: There is no rule 6

    Shane, Jun 5, 2006
  12. Shane

    Shane Guest

    Shane wrote:

    > shannon wrote:
    >
    >> shannon wrote:

    >>> The upgrade process is one of the coolest things about debian based
    >>> distros I apt-get dist-upgraded last night, and it worked perfectly.
    >>> A dapper /etc/apt/sources.list is at
    >>> http://paste.ubuntu-nl.org/6666
    >>>
    >>> modify for a mirror if you want.
    >>>
    >>> and apt-get dist-upgrade or run synaptic
    >>>
    >>> or you can run gksudo “update-manager -dâ€

    >> Here's the guide to upgrading the easy way

    > As can be evidenced by my headers, I have just completed the upgrade. I
    > tried 3 times to do it via cron but I kept screwing the script up and did
    > it during peak time instead.
    > The total downloads took 35 minutes (Ihug 2MB/s coming through at full
    > speed :)) and the installation took 45 minutes (celery 1.7 half a gig of
    > RAM)
    > No issues yet, couple of nice changes to kmail/knode, smileys are now
    > translated from text to.. png? or gif which isnt my thing.. but meh
    > Nice shiny new kernel 2.6.15-23-386
    > KDE 3.5.2 is looking sharp, task bar has had a look over, and I still have
    > my kmoon (one upgrade I did a while back kmoon was dropped!!)
    >
    > However, Open Office icons are missing from my start.. panel :\
    > oowriter, oocalc, that sort of thing
    > meh bug report time :)

    meh, found the bug, it was sitting at the keyboard
    Cant have icons for something I havent installed can I :)

    --
    Rule 6: There is no rule 6

    Shane, Jun 5, 2006
  13. Shane

    Chris Hope Guest

    Shane wrote:

    > No issues yet, couple of nice changes to kmail/knode, smileys are now
    > translated from text to.. png? or gif which isnt my thing.. but meh

    There is a way to disable this.

    In KMail:
    Settings -> Configure KMail -> Appearance -> Message Windows
    then untick "Replace Smileys by emoticons" and Apply.

    Not sure where in Knode but I'd be surprised if you can't.

    Chris Hope, Jun 5, 2006
  14. Shane

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > Shane wrote:
    >

    >>shannon wrote:

    >>>Here's the guide to upgrading the easy way

    >>As can be evidenced by my headers, I have just completed the upgrade. I
    >>tried 3 times to do it via cron but I kept screwing the script up and did
    >>it during peak time instead.
    >>The total downloads took 35 minutes (Ihug 2MB/s coming through at full
    >>speed :)) and the installation took 45 minutes (celery 1.7 half a gig of
    >>RAM)
    >>No issues yet, couple of nice changes to kmail/knode, smileys are now
    >>translated from text to.. png? or gif which isnt my thing.. but meh
    >>Nice shiny new kernel 2.6.15-23-386
    >>KDE 3.5.2 is looking sharp, task bar has had a look over, and I still have
    >>my kmoon (one upgrade I did a while back kmoon was dropped!!)
    >>
    >>However, Open Office icons are missing from my start.. panel :\
    >>oowriter, oocalc, that sort of thing
    >>meh bug report time :)

    > meh, found the bug, it was sitting at the keyboard
    > Cant have icons for something I havent installed can I :)

    LOL Sounds just as bad as me with Gentoo. Now was the install broken or
    did I f**k it my self things I did not do was install boot loader using
    some other boot loader on another OS (Slackware) put it in a Dir with
    data in it the Home partition of some other system. but to fix it I have
    lurned a lot about it just about time to instasll it properly or move it
    arround the Hard drive to a beeter palce.

    Robert Cooze, Jun 5, 2006
  15. Shane

    Shane Guest

    Robert Cooze wrote:

    > LOL Sounds just as bad as me with Gentoo. Now was the install broken or
    > did I f**k it my self things I did not do was install boot loader using
    > some other boot loader on another OS (Slackware) put it in a Dir with
    > data in it the Home partition of some other system. but to fix it I have
    > lurned a lot about it just about time to instasll it properly or move it
    > arround the Hard drive to a beeter palce.

    If I read your post correctly, you are having trouble multi booting several
    Linux?
    What I (and I dont partition the drive for a single OS into several drives
    for /home /boot /usr et al) do is have the drive partitioned one partition
    per OS
    (whew Im good at repeating myself :))
    Have your main drive .. for example /dev/hda3 home of your favourite Boot
    loader and load that into the MBR
    and for each other installation load their boot loader into the first part
    of their own drives
    And then use the boot loader from /dev/hda2 (which is the one in the MBR) to
    chainload all your other boot loaders
    Make sense?
    Here is my /boot/grub/menu.lst from my primary OS.. dapper
    which is on /dev/hda2

    # cat /boot/grub/menu.lst
    # menu.lst - See: grub(8), info grub, update-grub(8)
    # grub-install(8), grub-floppy(8),
    # grub-md5-crypt, /usr/share/doc/grub
    # and /usr/share/doc/grub-doc/.

    ## default num
    # Set the default entry to the entry number NUM. Numbering starts from 0,
    and
    # the entry number 0 is the default if the command is not used.
    #
    # You can specify 'saved' instead of a number. In this case, the default
    entry
    # is the entry saved with the command 'savedefault'.
    default 0

    ## timeout sec
    # Set a timeout, in SEC seconds, before automatically booting the default
    entry
    # (normally the first entry defined).
    timeout 10

    8><--snip
    ## ## End Default Options ##

    title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.15-23-386
    root (hd0,2)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-23-386 root=/dev/hda3 ro quiet splash
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.15-23-386
    savedefault
    boot

    title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.15-23-386 (recovery mode)
    root (hd0,2)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-23-386 root=/dev/hdas3 ro single
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.15-23-386
    boot

    ### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

    # This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the Debian
    # ones.
    title Other operating systems:
    root

    # This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for an existing
    # linux installation on /dev/hda3.
    title Slackware
    root (hd0,3)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda4 ro
    savedefault
    boot

    # This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
    # on /dev/hda1
    title Windows
    root (hd0,0)
    savedefault
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

    __EOF__

    Meh thats probably confused the issue :\
    --
    Rule 6: There is no rule 6

    Blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org

    Shane, Jun 6, 2006
  16. Shane

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > Robert Cooze wrote:
    >

    >>LOL Sounds just as bad as me with Gentoo. Now was the install broken or
    >>did I f**k it my self things I did not do was install boot loader using
    >> some other boot loader on another OS (Slackware) put it in a Dir with
    >>data in it the Home partition of some other system. but to fix it I have
    >>lurned a lot about it just about time to instasll it properly or move it
    >>arround the Hard drive to a beeter palce.
    >>

    > If I read your post correctly, you are having trouble multi booting several
    > Linux?

    Not Realy Gentoo is complaining that there is no boot loader installed!

    the boot loader is lilo but is in the Slackware operation system. I am
    modifing its Lilo.conf file and running lilo in slackware.
    > What I (and I dont partition the drive for a single OS into several drives
    > for /home /boot /usr et al) do is have the drive partitioned one partition
    > per OS

    Ok I had a partiton for win 98, winxp, Slackware, /home and swap there
    is one dirve witht the OSes on it the drive with home and swap also has
    partitons for data but no running OS

    OK i put Gentoo into the /home directory it has the regular dirs as well
    as some of the users (I do not beleave in formating unless I realy have to)

    I was trying out Gentoo in the most hardest way I could think of when I
    get arrround to it I will move gentoo in to the partiton that slackware
    is ssitting in erasing the memorys of slack forever... if i ever get
    arround to it.

    > (whew Im good at repeating myself :))
    > Have your main drive .. for example /dev/hda3 home of your favourite Boot
    > loader and load that into the MBR
    > and for each other installation load their boot loader into the first part
    > of their own drives
    > And then use the boot loader from /dev/hda2 (which is the one in the MBR) to
    > chainload all your other boot loaders
    > Make sense?
    > Here is my /boot/grub/menu.lst from my primary OS.. dapper
    > which is on /dev/hda2
    >
    > # cat /boot/grub/menu.lst
    > # menu.lst - See: grub(8), info grub, update-grub(8)
    > # grub-install(8), grub-floppy(8),
    > # grub-md5-crypt, /usr/share/doc/grub
    > # and /usr/share/doc/grub-doc/.
    >
    > ## default num
    > # Set the default entry to the entry number NUM. Numbering starts from 0,
    > and
    > # the entry number 0 is the default if the command is not used.
    > #
    > # You can specify 'saved' instead of a number. In this case, the default
    > entry
    > # is the entry saved with the command 'savedefault'.
    > default 0
    >
    > ## timeout sec
    > # Set a timeout, in SEC seconds, before automatically booting the default
    > entry
    > # (normally the first entry defined).
    > timeout 10
    >
    > 8><--snip
    > ## ## End Default Options ##
    >
    > title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.15-23-386
    > root (hd0,2)
    > kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-23-386 root=/dev/hda3 ro quiet splash
    > initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.15-23-386
    > savedefault
    > boot
    >
    > title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.15-23-386 (recovery mode)
    > root (hd0,2)
    > kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-23-386 root=/dev/hdas3 ro single
    > initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.15-23-386
    > boot
    >

    > ### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
    >
    > # This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the Debian
    > # ones.
    > title Other operating systems:
    > root
    >

    > # This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for an existing
    > # linux installation on /dev/hda3.
    > title Slackware
    > root (hd0,3)
    > kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda4 ro
    > savedefault
    > boot
    >

    > # This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
    > # on /dev/hda1
    > title Windows
    > root (hd0,0)
    > savedefault
    > makeactive
    > chainloader +1
    >
    > __EOF__

    Nice must look into that can grub boot 98 and XP with out xp's boot
    loader? might solve some problems.

    > Meh thats probably confused the issue :\

    Na I think it is just me myself and I now I have never realy used grub
    at all I started with Lilo been meaning to try grub one day. Now I did
    not install any bootloader with gentoo as I was testing I was going to
    make a boot disk but the option never presented and the as for the
    install working as it should have well It did not. my install broke some
    where before the boot loader would have been installed. Now I have made
    a working good kernal and some modules It is working much better actualy
    much better than the slack which didnot break in the install. For the
    want of a fast internet connection and the want of a spare big hard
    drive I would have installed on that again and again till I got it rite
    but I am stuck with this till I totaly Kill it or I get bored with it

    Robert Cooze, Jun 6, 2006
  17. Shane

    Shane Guest

    8><---------
    > Nice must look into that can grub boot 98 and XP with out xp's boot
    > loader? might solve some problems.

    Grubs easy (for me) because I first learned multi-booting with windows98/2k
    If you know how to wiggle round the boot.ini, grubs very similar, with
    easier syntax (IMO)

    >> Meh thats probably confused the issue :\

    > Na I think it is just me myself and I now I have never realy used grub
    > at all I started with Lilo been meaning to try grub one day. Now I did
    > not install any bootloader with gentoo as I was testing I was going to
    > make a boot disk but the option never presented and the as for the
    > install working as it should have well It did not. my install broke some
    > where before the boot loader would have been installed. Now I have made
    > a working good kernal and some modules It is working much better actualy
    > much better than the slack which didnot break in the install. For the
    > want of a fast internet connection and the want of a spare big hard
    > drive I would have installed on that again and again till I got it rite
    > but I am stuck with this till I totaly Kill it or I get bored with it

    You *must* have a bootloader to boot gentoos kernel
    The easy way is to have gentoo load its own bootloader to the first part of
    its partition, and to use (in your case lilo) to load that bootloader
    The hard way(IMO) is to map to gentoos kernel from your existing lilo (which
    sounds like what you have been trying)
    If this is the case, start a new thread as 1) Im no expert on lilo, and 2)
    There are some experts here :)
    re: windows bootloader
    I personally dont mind multiple bootloaders hanging about, so the windows
    seperate bootloader is fine by me
    IIRC the elements for the woindows bootloader will reside in your c:\ drive,
    and are
    Boot.ini //map of bootable partitions
    NTLDR //actual loader
    and NTOSKRNL.exe //Kernel file of some description

    HTH

    --
    Rule 6: There is no rule 6

    Blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org