Danial Boone DVD Being Released Same Time as DirecTV Starts Broadcasting It

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Von Fourche, Sep 22, 2006.

  1. Von Fourche

    Von Fourche Guest

    Why would a company release the first season of Daniel
    Boone on DVD during the same week that a channel on DirecTV (WHT) will start
    broadcasting the series (from the first season)?

    I don't get it. A few weeks ago TV Land showed Daniel Boone for the
    whole weekend. Daniel Boone is a series I have never seen before in
    syndication. Never seen it period. I enjoyed what I saw. I wanted to see
    more episodes. So, the first and second season is going to be released next
    week. I decided that I would buy the first season on DVD. But then I find
    out that WHT on DirecTV will start broadcasting the series the 26th of this
    month.

    So, now I'm not buying the first season. Why should I? I can watch
    them on WHT. But why in the world would the company that owns the rights to
    Boone let a network broadcast the series right when that company is coming
    out with the first two seasons on DVD?

    You would think that the TV Land Boone marathon was held to wet the
    appetites of the viewers so that they would want to buy the series when
    released on DVD. But now, why should they?
    Von Fourche, Sep 22, 2006

  2. Von Fourche

    SoHillsGuy Guest

    Von Fourche wrote:
    > Why would a company release the first season of Daniel
    > Boone on DVD during the same week that a channel on DirecTV (WHT) will start
    > broadcasting the series (from the first season)?

    if people want to save the series to their collection, it could be
    that...
    a) maybe because not everyone actually has DirecTV
    b) maybe people would find it easier to buy DVD clean sets than bother
    recording/burning discs, if they even know how to do this.
    SoHillsGuy, Sep 22, 2006

  3. Re: Danial Boone DVD Being Released Same Time as DirecTV Starts BroadcastingIt

    SoHillsGuy wrote:

    > Von Fourche wrote:
    >
    >>Why would a company release the first season of Daniel
    >>Boone on DVD during the same week that a channel on DirecTV (WHT) will start
    >>broadcasting the series (from the first season)?

    > if people want to save the series to their collection, it could be
    > that...
    > a) maybe because not everyone actually has DirecTV
    > b) maybe people would find it easier to buy DVD clean sets than bother
    > recording/burning discs, if they even know how to do this.

    c) The licensor wants to exploit all of his new rights at once,
    d) Most current mainstream audiences aren't familiar with the show, as
    it's been off the rerun radar for some years now,
    and
    e) First one's free. :)

    Derek Janssen (was a man...)
    Derek Janssen, Sep 22, 2006
  4. Von Fourche

    Fred Guest

    Derek Janssen <> wrote:

    >> a) maybe because not everyone actually has DirecTV
    >> b) maybe people would find it easier to buy DVD clean sets than bother
    >> recording/burning discs, if they even know how to do this.

    >c) The licensor wants to exploit all of his new rights at once,
    >d) Most current mainstream audiences aren't familiar with the show, as
    >it's been off the rerun radar for some years now,
    >and
    >e) First one's free. :)

    f) To prevent people from making DVDs and selling them on ebay

    >Derek Janssen (was a man...)

    Really? How was the operation?
    Fred, Sep 22, 2006