Damned roommate!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Don't braze me, tow!, Apr 4, 2008.

  1. I have a roommate. And a computer. (XP Pro)
    I've given her access to my computer by creating a user account for
    her.
    But she digs around inside the damned thing and farts with things I
    wish she wouldn't.
    I'd like to make it so her access to stuff is very limited. I don't
    want her to be able to download ANYthing!
    (Well, except for the temporary Internet files...I guess there's no
    way around that.)
    I for sure don't want her changing anything or having access to the
    run command or the uninstall programs link.
    I'd like to prevent her from deleting anything too.
    I've opened up Administrative Tools and poked around in there a bit
    but frankly I am pretty clueless.
    I suppose I want to learn to perform the tasks the gooks at the
    library does with the public computers there.

    Can any of you kind souls direct me to a suitable (read easy to
    understand) website or the like to accomplish my goals?

    Thanx!

    GD

    --

    My password is: *******
    Please don't share it with anyone!
    Don't braze me, tow!, Apr 4, 2008

  2. Don't braze me, tow!

    Lookout Guest

    On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 20:56:47 -0700 (PDT), "Don't braze me, tow!"
    <> wrote:

    >I have a roommate. And a computer. (XP Pro)
    >I've given her access to my computer by creating a user account for
    >her.
    >But she digs around inside the damned thing and farts with things I
    >wish she wouldn't.
    >I'd like to make it so her access to stuff is very limited. I don't
    >want her to be able to download ANYthing!
    >(Well, except for the temporary Internet files...I guess there's no
    >way around that.)
    >I for sure don't want her changing anything or having access to the
    >run command or the uninstall programs link.
    >I'd like to prevent her from deleting anything too.
    >I've opened up Administrative Tools and poked around in there a bit
    >but frankly I am pretty clueless.
    >I suppose I want to learn to perform the tasks the gooks at the
    >library does with the public computers there.
    >
    >Can any of you kind souls direct me to a suitable (read easy to
    >understand) website or the like to accomplish my goals?
    >
    >Thanx!
    >
    >GD

    If she's going down on you she can't do a damn thing on the computer.
    Lookout, Apr 4, 2008

  3. Don't braze me, tow!

    PeeCee Guest

    "Don't braze me, tow!" <> wrote in message
    >I have a roommate. And a computer. (XP Pro)
    > I've given her access to my computer by creating a user account for
    > her.
    > But she digs around inside the damned thing and farts with things I
    > wish she wouldn't.
    > I'd like to make it so her access to stuff is very limited. I don't
    > want her to be able to download ANYthing!
    > (Well, except for the temporary Internet files...I guess there's no
    > way around that.)
    > I for sure don't want her changing anything or having access to the
    > run command or the uninstall programs link.
    > I'd like to prevent her from deleting anything too.
    > I've opened up Administrative Tools and poked around in there a bit
    > but frankly I am pretty clueless.
    > I suppose I want to learn to perform the tasks the gooks at the
    > library does with the public computers there.
    >
    > Can any of you kind souls direct me to a suitable (read easy to
    > understand) website or the like to accomplish my goals?
    >
    > Thanx!
    >
    > GD
    >
    > --
    >
    > My password is: *******
    > Please don't share it with anyone!

    Change her account to a 'Guest' account.

    or

    Just lay it on the line, fiddle with the computer and you're banned.

    Paul.
    PeeCee, Apr 4, 2008
  4. Don't braze me, tow!

    catchme Guest

    Don't braze me, tow! wrote:
    > I have a roommate. And a computer. (XP Pro)
    > I've given her access to my computer by creating a user account for
    > her.
    > But she digs around inside the damned thing and farts with things I
    > wish she wouldn't.
    > I'd like to make it so her access to stuff is very limited. I don't
    > want her to be able to download ANYthing!
    > (Well, except for the temporary Internet files...I guess there's no
    > way around that.)
    > I for sure don't want her changing anything or having access to the
    > run command or the uninstall programs link.
    > I'd like to prevent her from deleting anything too.
    > I've opened up Administrative Tools and poked around in there a bit
    > but frankly I am pretty clueless.
    > I suppose I want to learn to perform the tasks the gooks at the
    > library does with the public computers there.
    >
    > Can any of you kind souls direct me to a suitable (read easy to
    > understand) website or the like to accomplish my goals?
    >
    > Thanx!
    >
    > GD
    >
    > --
    >
    > My password is: *******
    > Please don't share it with anyone!

    even with xp pro, she can get around your password protection and enable
    herself the same privilieges as that of you, the administrator.
    She can even get around it if you think she is locked in to her own
    guest account.

    --
    but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist
    whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters
    catchme, Apr 4, 2008
  5. Don't braze me, tow!

    olfart Guest

    >I have a roommate. And a computer. (XP Pro)
    > I've given her access to my computer by creating a user account for
    > her.
    > But she digs around inside the damned thing and farts with things I
    > wish she wouldn't.
    > I'd like to make it so her access to stuff is very limited. I don't
    > want her to be able to download ANYthing!
    > (Well, except for the temporary Internet files...I guess there's no
    > way around that.)
    > I for sure don't want her changing anything or having access to the
    > run command or the uninstall programs link.
    > I'd like to prevent her from deleting anything too.
    > I've opened up Administrative Tools and poked around in there a bit
    > but frankly I am pretty clueless.
    > I suppose I want to learn to perform the tasks the gooks at the
    > library does with the public computers there.
    >
    > Can any of you kind souls direct me to a suitable (read easy to
    > understand) website or the like to accomplish my goals?
    >
    > Thanx!
    >
    > GD

    that's the price you have to pay for free live in nookie
    olfart, Apr 4, 2008
  6. Don't braze me, tow!

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2008-04-04, Lookout <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 20:56:47 -0700 (PDT), "Don't braze me, tow!"
    > <> wrote:

    [...]

    >>I suppose I want to learn to perform the tasks the gooks at the
    >>library does with the public computers there.

    There are all sorts of things they might be doing. Even if the user
    interface is some sort of 'Windows' the underlying system may not be; eg
    it's fairly trivial if you have a 'virtual machine' host running, to
    re-boot or even re-install Windows as a 'client system' any time you want
    to - daily or even after each user's session has ended. I'm sure Microsoft
    have various 'kiosk' offerings too, which will prevent users of public
    terminals from doing much at all.

    >>Can any of you kind souls direct me to a suitable (read easy to
    >>understand) website or the like to accomplish my goals?
    >>
    >>Thanx!
    >>
    >>GD

    > If she's going down on you she can't do a damn thing on the computer.

    That could get tiring.

    Create a new HD partition and install a Linux or BSD system on it and use
    that for all the stuff you don't want your flatmate to touch. Don't give
    her access to the non-Windows partition - don't even tell her there is
    one. Windows can't even recognise that a non-Microsoft system is present,
    let alone do anything to it.

    You can even have a complete Linux system, including personal files, on a
    USB 'key', if you don't want to disturb your existing set-up - just boot
    from the key when you want to use your Linux system.

    It might be more convenient and less work in the long run, to create a
    user account for her on the *nix system and let her use that instead of
    letting anyone use your Windows system. She won't have any access to your
    *nix stuff or to any settings that you don't choose to allow her. But if
    there's a Windows system on the computer then you really can't stop anyone
    with access to the machine from doing whatever they want to do with the
    Windows stuff.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Apr 4, 2008
  7. Don't braze me, tow!

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Don't braze me, tow! wrote:
    > I have a roommate. And a computer. (XP Pro)
    > I've given her access to my computer by creating a user account for
    > her.
    > But she digs around inside the damned thing and farts with things I
    > wish she wouldn't.
    > I'd like to make it so her access to stuff is very limited. I don't
    > want her to be able to download ANYthing!
    > (Well, except for the temporary Internet files...I guess there's no
    > way around that.)
    > I for sure don't want her changing anything or having access to the
    > run command or the uninstall programs link.
    > I'd like to prevent her from deleting anything too.
    > I've opened up Administrative Tools and poked around in there a bit
    > but frankly I am pretty clueless.

    Being clueless is going to be a severe stumbling block to you actually
    being able to do the job right "You don't know what you don't know"

    > I suppose I want to learn to perform the tasks the gooks at the
    > library does with the public computers there.

    Why not ask the gooks to help? Hint: If you want one to help you though,
    don't insult them by calling them derogatory names:)

    > Can any of you kind souls direct me to a suitable (read easy to
    > understand) website or the like to accomplish my goals?

    What something like this?
    http://howtoperformcomplexsecurityt...havingtoknowanythinglikeasmuchasageekdoes.htm

    Seriously, a quick Google for parental control turns up things like this:-
    http://www.protectiveparenting.com/web/html/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=8
    Desk Rabbit, Apr 4, 2008
  8. On Apr 3, 10:56 pm, "Don't braze me, tow!" <>
    wrote:
    > I have a roommate. And a computer. (XP Pro)
    > I've given her access to my computer by creating a user account for
    > her.
    > But she digs around inside the damned thing and farts with things I
    > wish she wouldn't.

    (...)

    Can anyone direct me to a website that explains in easier language
    than the help files in Windows, how to use Administrative Tools?
    Don't braze me, tow!, Apr 4, 2008
  9. Don't braze me, tow!

    elaich Guest

    Whiskers <> wrote in

    > Create a new HD partition and install a Linux or BSD system on it and
    > use that for all the stuff you don't want your flatmate to touch.
    > Don't give her access to the non-Windows partition - don't even tell
    > her there is one.

    So, she boots the machine up, sees Grub, and the whole plot is rendered
    useless. It won't work.
    elaich, Apr 4, 2008
  10. Don't braze me, tow!

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2008-04-04, elaich <|@|.|> wrote:
    > Whiskers <> wrote in
    >
    >> Create a new HD partition and install a Linux or BSD system on it and
    >> use that for all the stuff you don't want your flatmate to touch.
    >> Don't give her access to the non-Windows partition - don't even tell
    >> her there is one.

    > So, she boots the machine up, sees Grub, and the whole plot is rendered
    > useless. It won't work.

    If she boots *nix but doesn't have a username and password she won't get
    in. With a short enough 'wait' before the default OS is booted, she might
    well not notice Grub or LiLo at all, and if she does probably won't know
    what to do to boot anything other than Windows (if that is the default)
    even if she works out what the 'menu' is. If she recognises Grub or LiLo
    (or SMB or GAG or whatever) for what it is and knows how to use it, then
    you aren't going to keep her out of anything for long - she owns your
    computer and your data and you're just going to have to live with that.
    Or keep the computer powered down and locked away when you aren't using it
    yourself.

    If you want to keep the *nix system 'hidden', put your Grub or LiLo on a
    USB Key or CD or Floppy for your own personal use only; or set up a BIOS
    password so that only you can boot or re-boot the machine.

    If you install a boot manager with password-controlled access to each
    installed OS, then unauthorised people won't be able to boot anything, let
    alone log in; choose who gets the passwords to what, or which OSs don't
    need a password in the boot manager.

    But once a knowledgable person has physical access to a computer then you
    can't rely on being able to keep them out of anything, given time. So put
    your secret stuff on a USB key and put that inside a locked box fastened
    to your body and keep the key to the box hidden somewhere else (not in
    your pocket or under the pillow!) - a combination lock might work, if
    your memory is up to the job.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Apr 4, 2008
  11. Don't braze me, tow!

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Don't braze me, tow! wrote:
    > On Apr 3, 10:56 pm, "Don't braze me, tow!" <>
    > wrote:
    >> I have a roommate. And a computer. (XP Pro)
    >> I've given her access to my computer by creating a user account for
    >> her.
    >> But she digs around inside the damned thing and farts with things I
    >> wish she wouldn't.

    > (...)
    >
    > Can anyone direct me to a website that explains in easier language
    > than the help files in Windows, how to use Administrative Tools?

    A minimal Google search using the phrase "windows administrative tools
    user guide" turns up
    http://www.pctechtalk.com/index.php/?m=show&id=1651&page=1

    which even has the line "There are a great number of ways that you can
    protect your Windows XP machine from the dangers of the outside world,
    and even secure your privacy from a nosy roommate."

    If you couldn't even manage that, your roommate has your machine well
    and truly owned :)
    Desk Rabbit, Apr 4, 2008
  12. Don't braze me, tow!

    Guest

    "Don't braze me, tow!" <>
    wrote:

    >But she digs around inside the damned thing and farts with things I
    >wish she wouldn't.

    Maybe use virtualization software such as VMWare and
    create a "virtual" computer on the box for her?

    This is what I've been thinking of doing for family and
    kids at home..... they ALWAYS muck everything up....
    but with virtual machines I can just erase it and
    recopy a new one and they are ok again....so I've been
    told
    , Apr 4, 2008
  13. Don't braze me, tow!

    elaich Guest

    Whiskers <> wrote in

    > But once a knowledgable person has physical access to a computer then
    > you can't rely on being able to keep them out of anything, given time.

    Remember when computers had ignition switches on them?

    IIRC, the OP doesn't want to keep her from using his computer - he just
    wants to keep her away from the OS and his private data.

    If she is able to get into stuff even after he allows her to use only a
    guest account with no admin privileges, there isn't much he can do, except
    to put all his stuff on an external drive, and take that with him.
    elaich, Apr 5, 2008
  14. elaich <|@|.|> wrote:

    > Remember when computers had ignition switches on them?

    And *now*, ignition switches have computers on them!

    But I *do* remember "*Don't* trust *anybody* over 30
    [years old]!"

    .... And I'm 3 years past that being wurf-a-chit.

    --

    My name is Bucky Breeder and I approve this message!

    Top secrets our government does NOT want YOU to know :

    #66 - Registered voters have begun spontaneously combusting.
    (That's why you see so many tennis shoes hanging from power lines.)

    http://www.jonregen.com/audio/WORDS_MUSIC_2006-Finished_Wi.m3u
    Bucky Breeder, Apr 5, 2008