Damned red arrow won't go away!

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Captain Infinity, Jul 25, 2005.

  1. OK, so I manually downloaded and installed Firefox 1.0.5. Fine.

    A few days later the little red "Update" arrow appeared next to my activity
    flipper. So I click it, and the program checks to see if there are any updates.
    It returns a box labeled "Firefox found the following available updates".

    The box is empty.

    I am presented with two choices: Install Now or Cancel. Naturally, since there
    is nothing to install, I click Cancel.

    But the damned red arrow doesn't go away. So I click it again, and again the
    program checks for updates, and again the box is empty. This time, for grins
    and giggles, I click Install Now.

    Firefox then goes into "Now downloading and installing updates" mode. And never
    stops. The little flicker just keeps circling and circling. Forever, or until
    I click the red X to shut it off.

    Is this happening to anyone else? Any idea on what I should do? I can ignore
    the red arrow, but I'll never know if there really *are* updates to download
    (unless I see it reported in the media). Suggestions?

    **
    Captain Infinity
    Captain Infinity, Jul 25, 2005

  2. Captain Infinity

    Z Guest

    Captain Infinity wrote:
    > Is this happening to anyone else? Any idea on what I should do? I can ignore
    > the red arrow, but I'll never know if there really *are* updates to download
    > (unless I see it reported in the media). Suggestions?

    Download FF 1.0.6.
    Uninstall 1.0.5.
    Install 1.0.6.
    Z, Jul 25, 2005

  3. Captain Infinity

    Jedi Fans Guest

    Z wrote:
    > Captain Infinity wrote:
    >> Is this happening to anyone else? Any idea on what I should do? I
    >> can ignore
    >> the red arrow, but I'll never know if there really *are* updates to
    >> download
    >> (unless I see it reported in the media). Suggestions?

    > Download FF 1.0.6.
    > Uninstall 1.0.5.
    > Install 1.0.6.

    there is no need to uninstall a previous version anymore...
    Jedi Fans, Jul 25, 2005
  4. Captain Infinity

    Z Guest

    Jedi Fans wrote:
    >> Download FF 1.0.6.
    >> Uninstall 1.0.5.
    >> Install 1.0.6.

    > there is no need to uninstall a previous version anymore...

    So they say ... but once bitten, twice shy. It takes only a few minutes
    and gives me peace of mind.
    Z, Jul 26, 2005
  5. Captain Infinity

    bejay Guest

    Captain Infinity <> wrote in

    > OK, so I manually downloaded and installed Firefox 1.0.5. Fine.
    >
    > A few days later the little red "Update" arrow appeared next to my
    > activity flipper. So I click it, and the program checks to see if
    > there are any updates. It returns a box labeled "Firefox found the
    > following available updates".
    >
    > The box is empty.
    >

    > **
    > Captain Infinity

    I had exactly the same problem after installing FF 1.0.6 without first
    uninstallling FF 1.0.5. However, after several re-starts of the
    computer/Firefox the red arrow changed back ti its normal blue/yellow
    icon. Don't know what gives but I'm happy now!

    bejay
    bejay, Jul 26, 2005
  6. West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front
    door.
    There is a small mailbox here.
    >Read article by bejay:

    >Captain Infinity <> wrote in
    >
    >> OK, so I manually downloaded and installed Firefox 1.0.5. Fine.
    >>
    >> A few days later the little red "Update" arrow appeared next to my
    >> activity flipper. So I click it, and the program checks to see if
    >> there are any updates. It returns a box labeled "Firefox found the
    >> following available updates".
    >>
    >> The box is empty.

    >I had exactly the same problem after installing FF 1.0.6 without first
    >uninstallling FF 1.0.5. However, after several re-starts of the
    >computer/Firefox the red arrow changed back ti its normal blue/yellow
    >icon. Don't know what gives but I'm happy now!

    Me too. The red arrow is gone today. Maybe Firefox needed to sleep on it.

    **
    Captain Infinity
    Captain Infinity, Jul 26, 2005
  7. Captain Infinity

    GTD Guest

    >West of House
    >You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front
    >door.
    >There is a small mailbox here.

    S.E.

    You are standing in a clearing to the ease of the house. The house has
    a window. The window is ajar.
    GTD, Jul 27, 2005
  8. Captain Infinity

    spooknews Guest

    Captain Infinity wrote:
    > OK, so I manually downloaded and installed Firefox 1.0.5. Fine.
    >
    > A few days later the little red "Update" arrow appeared next to my activity
    > flipper. So I click it, and the program checks to see if there are any updates.
    > It returns a box labeled "Firefox found the following available updates".
    >
    > The box is empty.
    >
    > I am presented with two choices: Install Now or Cancel. Naturally, since there
    > is nothing to install, I click Cancel.
    >
    > But the damned red arrow doesn't go away. So I click it again, and again the
    > program checks for updates, and again the box is empty. This time, for grins
    > and giggles, I click Install Now.
    >
    > Firefox then goes into "Now downloading and installing updates" mode. And never
    > stops. The little flicker just keeps circling and circling. Forever, or until
    > I click the red X to shut it off.
    >
    > Is this happening to anyone else? Any idea on what I should do? I can ignore
    > the red arrow, but I'll never know if there really *are* updates to download
    > (unless I see it reported in the media). Suggestions?
    >

    > **
    > Captain Infinity

    Yeah. That's the same problem I described in "update".
    spooknews, Jul 30, 2005