    to do whatever they want to do.

    I think disabling javascript usually stops this happening - is that
    the only way?
    paora, Nov 19, 2004

  2. paora wrote:
    > Is there something that I don't have installed that leaves me open to
    > regularly recieve 'dat' files that are usually placed in my windows
    > (WinME) temp folder? Mostly they are named with a group of 4 random
    > letters dkle.dat ekju.dat etc

    > Sometimes they change my homepage or they install 'search bars' in my
    > browser (IE6) and other times I get zone alarm requests to allow them
    > to do whatever they want to do.

    sounds like a case of the mundays^H^H^H^H^H^Hspyware

    might want to give your PC a blast with "adaware", "spybot search and
    destroy" of similar... probably even virus scann, and if you do already,
    with something like "AV housecall".

    If unsure about any thing I've said here, google for it.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 19, 2004

  3. paora wrote:
    > Is there something that I don't have installed that leaves me open to
    > regularly recieve 'dat' files that are usually placed in my windows
    > (WinME) temp folder? Mostly they are named with a group of 4 random
    > letters dkle.dat ekju.dat etc
    >
    > Sometimes they change my homepage or they install 'search bars' in my
    > browser (IE6) and other times I get zone alarm requests to allow them
    > to do whatever they want to do.
    >
    > I think disabling javascript usually stops this happening - is that
    > the only way?

    What about "upgrading" your browser? ;-)

    Cheers,

    Martin
    Martin Kaufmann, Nov 19, 2004
  4. paora

    paora Guest

    On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 15:53:04 +1300, Martin Kaufmann
    <> wrote:

    >paora wrote:
    >> Is there something that I don't have installed that leaves me open to
    >> regularly recieve 'dat' files that are usually placed in my windows
    >> (WinME) temp folder? Mostly they are named with a group of 4 random
    >> letters dkle.dat ekju.dat etc
    >>
    >> Sometimes they change my homepage or they install 'search bars' in my
    >> browser (IE6) and other times I get zone alarm requests to allow them
    >> to do whatever they want to do.
    >>
    >> I think disabling javascript usually stops this happening - is that
    >> the only way?

    >What about "upgrading" your browser? ;-)
    >
    >http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

    Tried that - maybe I'll try it again sometime.
    paora, Nov 19, 2004
  5. paora

    paora Guest

    On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 14:07:10 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >paora wrote:
    >> Is there something that I don't have installed that leaves me open to
    >> regularly recieve 'dat' files that are usually placed in my windows
    >> (WinME) temp folder? Mostly they are named with a group of 4 random
    >> letters dkle.dat ekju.dat etc

    >> Sometimes they change my homepage or they install 'search bars' in my
    >> browser (IE6) and other times I get zone alarm requests to allow them
    >> to do whatever they want to do.

    >sounds like a case of the mundays^H^H^H^H^H^Hspyware
    >
    >might want to give your PC a blast with "adaware", "spybot search and
    >destroy" of similar... probably even virus scann, and if you do already,
    >with something like "AV housecall".
    >
    >If unsure about any thing I've said here, google for it.

    yep, I get rid of most things with adaware and spybot but was just
    wondering what was best if anything to stop these things being placed
    on my hd in the first place
    paora, Nov 19, 2004
  6. paora

    Invisible Guest

    On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 08:03:28 GMT, (paora) wrote:

    >On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 14:07:10 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>paora wrote:
    >>> Is there something that I don't have installed that leaves me open to
    >>> regularly recieve 'dat' files that are usually placed in my windows
    >>> (WinME) temp folder? Mostly they are named with a group of 4 random
    >>> letters dkle.dat ekju.dat etc

    >>> Sometimes they change my homepage or they install 'search bars' in my
    >>> browser (IE6) and other times I get zone alarm requests to allow them
    >>> to do whatever they want to do.

    >>sounds like a case of the mundays^H^H^H^H^H^Hspyware
    >>
    >>might want to give your PC a blast with "adaware", "spybot search and
    >>destroy" of similar... probably even virus scann, and if you do already,
    >>with something like "AV housecall".
    >>
    >>If unsure about any thing I've said here, google for it.

    >yep, I get rid of most things with adaware and spybot but was just
    >wondering what was best if anything to stop these things being placed
    >on my hd in the first place

    Spywareblaster (http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html) is pretty
    good. But IE and dodgy sites are an open invitation.
    Invisible, Nov 19, 2004
  7. paora

    Dave Taylor Guest

    (paora) wrote in news::

    > yep, I get rid of most things with adaware and spybot but was just
    > wondering what was best if anything to stop these things being placed
    > on my hd in the first place

    Prevention is called Spywareblaster by javacools.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Nov 19, 2004
  8. paora

    Guest

    On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 08:03:28 +0000, paora wrote:

    > yep, I get rid of most things with adaware and spybot but was just
    > wondering what was best if anything to stop these things being placed on
    > my hd in the first place

    Stop using Micro$oft Internet Explorer and Micro$oft Outlook/Express.

    Start using Mozilla firefox and any non-Micro$oft email client.

    And... ultimately stop using Micro$oft Windows, and start using an Open
    Source OS.

    Divine

    --
    "Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
    become Shorthorn."
  9. In article <pan.2004.11.19.23.10.12.551657@TRACKER> in nz.comp on Sat, 20
    Nov 2004 12:10:12 +1300,
    <> says...
    > On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 08:03:28 +0000, paora wrote:
    >
    > > yep, I get rid of most things with adaware and spybot but was just
    > > wondering what was best if anything to stop these things being placed on
    > > my hd in the first place

    > Stop using Micro$oft Internet Explorer and Micro$oft Outlook/Express.
    >
    > Start using Mozilla firefox and any non-Micro$oft email client.
    >
    > And... ultimately stop using Micro$oft Windows, and start using an Open
    > Source OS.

    And what is there about an Open Source OS that makes it somehow less
    vulnerable than Windows?

    Well, nothing at all. In fact more vulnerable because anyone can get the
    source, go through it and highlight the vulns.
    Patrick Dunford, Nov 20, 2004
  10. paora

    Bob McLellan Guest

    Probably CoolWeb. Sort the directory by date and remove recent stuff.
    Look at merijn.org.

    Bob McLellan, Nov 20, 2004
  11. paora

    Lanmeister Guest

    One other thing it could be - part of an e-mail msg that your e-mail program
    can't interpret. I've had that in the past AND YES - the e-mail program was
    part of the Gates dynasty

    Cheers

    Lanmeister

    Lanmeister, Nov 22, 2004