    been a very appealing idea. I'd go back to Olympus for it because I
    loved the E-1.
    http://www.43rumors.com/olympus-e-5-teaser-leaked/

    RichA, Sep 11, 2010

  2. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:

    >Playing me-too with Canon and Nikon = suicide, because you'll never
    >match their sensor output. But, adopting a smaller, FAR more
    >ergonomically-friendly E-1-type body with a modern sensor would have
    >been a very appealing idea. I'd go back to Olympus for it because I
    >loved the E-1.
    >http://www.43rumors.com/olympus-e-5-teaser-leaked/

    Here's another rumour, suggesting a 12 MP low noise sensor with ISO
    speeds up to 6400, and 720p HD video.

    I agree with you about the Olympus E-1. When it was introduced it was
    quite competitive with 5.1 MP, but Canon brought out the 8 MP 1D Mk2
    within a short time, and Olympus was always behind the curve after
    that. But its colour rendition was second to none, thanks to the
    Kodak sensor.

    I have an old (2004) Kodak DCS Pro 14n which has a Kodak CMOS sensor
    that gives 13.5 MP images (4500 x 3000 pixels). The colour rendition
    is very, very good indeed and it reminds me of the Olympus E-1.

    To come back to the E-5, I can't see professionals buying one, and
    amateurs are already well catered for by Olympus' existing 12 MP
    DSLRs. So what is the point of the E-5? It surely has to be the last
    ever "Pro" Four Thirds DSLR.

    Meanwhile, Olympus Europe still has many unsold E-1 bodies gathering
    dust on shelves.

    Bruce, Sep 11, 2010

  3. RichA

    Rich Guest

    On Sep 11, 6:24 pm, Bruce <> wrote:
    > RichA <> wrote:
    > >Playing me-too with Canon and Nikon = suicide, because you'll never
    > >match their sensor output.  But, adopting a smaller, FAR more
    > >ergonomically-friendly E-1-type body with a modern sensor would have
    > >been a very appealing idea.  I'd go back to Olympus for it because I
    > >loved the E-1.
    > >http://www.43rumors.com/olympus-e-5-teaser-leaked/

    > Here's another rumour, suggesting a 12 MP low noise sensor with ISO
    > speeds up to 6400, and 720p HD video.
    >
    > I agree with you about the Olympus E-1.  When it was introduced it was
    > quite competitive with 5.1 MP, but Canon brought out the 8 MP 1D Mk2
    > within a short time, and Olympus was always behind the curve after
    > that.  But its colour rendition was second to none, thanks to the
    > Kodak sensor.
    >
    > I have an old (2004) Kodak DCS Pro 14n which has a Kodak CMOS sensor
    > that gives 13.5 MP images (4500 x 3000 pixels).  The colour rendition
    > is very, very good indeed and it reminds me of the Olympus E-1.
    >
    > To come back to the E-5, I can't see professionals buying one, and
    > amateurs are already well catered for by Olympus' existing 12 MP
    > DSLRs.  So what is the point of the E-5?  It surely has to be the last
    > ever "Pro" Four Thirds DSLR.
    >
    > Meanwhile, Olympus Europe still has many unsold E-1 bodies gathering
    > dust on shelves.

    And yet their only chance is to be different. Churning out Nikon-
    Canon lookalikes without large sensors and without the Canon or Nikon
    name immediately brands you as second-rate.

    Rich, Sep 12, 2010