    loose.

    oh for the days when high def pc - PC video conferencing will be
    available .....
    Sir To You, May 7, 2008

  2. In article <>, Sir To You <> wrote:
    >On May 8, 8:41=A0am, sam <> wrote:

    (snip)
    >The point is that broadband is a business enabling technology which
    >removes geographical business constraints. And, New Zealand are on
    >the slow road to nowhere. Silly little adsl2 is not going to make much
    >difference.
    >
    >I would buy shares in a network build company. I don't care if it
    >produces no return for me - my return would be in the other parts of
    >my business and life.

    Yep. More interestingly perhaps, infrastructure investments (properly
    managed of course :) ) always makes money. It's not usually a spectacular
    return ... but it is usually reasonable and regular. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, May 8, 2008

  3. Sir To You

    Sir To You Guest

    On May 8, 8:41 am, sam <> wrote:
    > Sir To You wrote:
    > > trying to do a simple pc video conference with some clients ..........
    > > stupid thing drops out all the time, freezes, is generally absolute
    > > crap.

    > > would be ok 1 to 1, but get multiple parties and all hell breaks
    > > loose.

    > > oh for the days when high def pc - PC video conferencing will be
    > > available .....

    > Move to a building with a big enough connection, there are plenty of top
    > floor city boardrooms that have Citylink connections in Wellington.
    >
    > Two bob techies for two bob outfits get two bob results.

    There is plenty of software out there to run pc multimedia
    conferencing software out there - just the bandwidth is not there.

    In the end, I disabled video and audio, and we just used a
    teleconference hub for audio and the screen sharing software for the
    presentation.

    Sir To You, May 8, 2008
  4. Sir To You

    EMB Guest

    Sir To You wrote:
    > I would buy shares in a network build company. I don't care if it
    > produces no return for me - my return would be in the other parts of
    > my business and life.

    In other words, the state should build the network?
    EMB, May 8, 2008
  5. In article
    <>, Sir To
    You did write:

    > trying to do a simple pc video conference with some clients ..........
    > stupid thing drops out all the time, freezes, is generally absolute
    > crap.
    >
    > would be ok 1 to 1, but get multiple parties and all hell breaks
    > loose.

    Isn't that why multicasting was invented?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 8, 2008
  6. Sir To You

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Sir To You <> wrote in news:0359a97a-8f2f-462f-a98f-
    :

    > just the bandwidth is not ther

    It is but it costs.

    Contact Cogent New Zealand next time and get a quote for using the video
    conference facilities they have for hire. I think you will find it
    inexpensive and good enough for what you need.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, May 8, 2008
  7. In article <>, sam did write:

    > Wasn't there a Telecom board member in Auckland in some millionaire
    > enclave that couldn't even get adsl ?

    They were on to that as soon as it hit the news.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 14, 2008