    Rob J Guest

    Connection problems in Christchurch, and no new messages in ihug.general
    for 2 days.

    Rob J, Sep 28, 2005

  2. Rob J

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Rob J" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Connection problems in Christchurch, and no new messages in ihug.general
    > for 2 days.

    If you close your ihug account do it near the end of a month to get what
    you've paid for.
    My direct payment for the month was on the 19th. I rang accounts on the
    20th to close my account whether it was closed at the end of the month or
    next month didn't matter if a month's notice was needed as far as I was
    concerned. I soon found my ihug account no longer working on the night of
    the 20th.
    It's only been a donation for the last 2 years as Slingshot is totally
    reliable, even over Christmas with the heavier loads that usually bog ihug
    down bringing grizzles of bad connections from ihug users.
    ihug is more interested in phone tolls than the internet since Australian
    iinet bought ihug a couple of years ago.
    You won't realise that not all ISPs offer the same patchy service until you
    try them.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Sep 28, 2005

  3. Rob J

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <1127948012.979431@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...

    > "Rob J" <> wrote in message
    > > Connection problems in Christchurch, and no new messages in ihug.general
    > > for 2 days.

    > If you close your ihug account do it near the end of a month to get what
    > you've paid for.
    > My direct payment for the month was on the 19th. I rang accounts on the
    > 20th to close my account whether it was closed at the end of the month or
    > next month didn't matter if a month's notice was needed as far as I was
    > concerned. I soon found my ihug account no longer working on the night of
    > the 20th.
    > It's only been a donation for the last 2 years as Slingshot is totally
    > reliable, even over Christmas with the heavier loads that usually bog ihug
    > down bringing grizzles of bad connections from ihug users.
    > ihug is more interested in phone tolls than the internet since Australian
    > iinet bought ihug a couple of years ago.
    > You won't realise that not all ISPs offer the same patchy service until you
    > try them.

    You should get a small refund from Ihug. After I finished up with them,
    about 8 months later, a cheque arrived! :)

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Sep 29, 2005
  4. Rob J

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <1127948012.979431@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...
    >>
    >> "Rob J" <> wrote in message
    >> > Connection problems in Christchurch, and no new messages in
    >> > ihug.general
    >> > for 2 days.

    >> If you close your ihug account do it near the end of a month to get what
    >> you've paid for.
    >> My direct payment for the month was on the 19th. I rang accounts on the
    >> 20th to close my account whether it was closed at the end of the month or
    >> next month didn't matter if a month's notice was needed as far as I was
    >> concerned. I soon found my ihug account no longer working on the night
    >> of
    >> the 20th.
    >> It's only been a donation for the last 2 years as Slingshot is totally
    >> reliable, even over Christmas with the heavier loads that usually bog
    >> ihug
    >> down bringing grizzles of bad connections from ihug users.
    >> ihug is more interested in phone tolls than the internet since Australian
    >> iinet bought ihug a couple of years ago.
    >> You won't realise that not all ISPs offer the same patchy service until
    >> you
    >> try them.

    > You should get a small refund from Ihug. After I finished up with them,
    > about 8 months later, a cheque arrived! :)
    >
    > --
    > Duncan

    I won't get much out 5 bucks. I changed to the bottom account as a back up
    a couple of years ago. I didn't expect Slingshot to be a lot more reliable
    than ihug, even though ihug was good enough apart from the slow downs each
    Christmas.
    ihug might not be the worse but it doesn't hurt to try others if any current
    ISP is having regular enough problems. Trying elsewhere is the easiest and
    possibly best fix.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Sep 29, 2005
  5. Rob J

    Rob J Guest

    In article <1127948012.979431@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...

    > "Rob J" <> wrote in message
    > > Connection problems in Christchurch, and no new messages in ihug.general
    > > for 2 days.

    > If you close your ihug account do it near the end of a month to get what
    > you've paid for.
    > My direct payment for the month was on the 19th. I rang accounts on the
    > 20th to close my account whether it was closed at the end of the month or
    > next month didn't matter if a month's notice was needed as far as I was
    > concerned. I soon found my ihug account no longer working on the night of
    > the 20th.
    > It's only been a donation for the last 2 years as Slingshot is totally
    > reliable, even over Christmas with the heavier loads that usually bog ihug
    > down bringing grizzles of bad connections from ihug users.
    > ihug is more interested in phone tolls than the internet since Australian
    > iinet bought ihug a couple of years ago.
    > You won't realise that not all ISPs offer the same patchy service until you
    > try them.

    I've tried a few. Usually I can get connected on the third or fourth
    attempt. Even with that it is heaps more reliable than Paradise, every
    month I would be paying for up to four hours on a backup account on
    another ISP, now I don't need to do that at all with my Ihug account.

    Rob J, Sep 30, 2005
  6. Rob J

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Rob J" <> wrote in message
    > In article <1127948012.979431@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...
    > >
    > > "Rob J" <> wrote in message
    > > > Connection problems in Christchurch, and no new messages in

    ihug.general
    > > > for 2 days.

    > > If you close your ihug account do it near the end of a month to get what
    > > you've paid for.
    > > My direct payment for the month was on the 19th. I rang accounts on the
    > > 20th to close my account whether it was closed at the end of the month

    or
    > > next month didn't matter if a month's notice was needed as far as I was
    > > concerned. I soon found my ihug account no longer working on the night

    of
    > > the 20th.
    > > It's only been a donation for the last 2 years as Slingshot is totally
    > > reliable, even over Christmas with the heavier loads that usually bog

    ihug
    > > down bringing grizzles of bad connections from ihug users.
    > > ihug is more interested in phone tolls than the internet since

    Australian
    > > iinet bought ihug a couple of years ago.
    > > You won't realise that not all ISPs offer the same patchy service until

    you
    > > try them.

    > I've tried a few. Usually I can get connected on the third or fourth
    > attempt. Even with that it is heaps more reliable than Paradise, every
    > month I would be paying for up to four hours on a backup account on
    > another ISP, now I don't need to do that at all with my Ihug account.

    The only bad run I've ever had with Slingshot was over 2 years ago not long
    after joining when there was a month of getting connected problems. After
    that it's been more reliable than ihug has ever been except for the news
    server which gets it's feed from ihug's server. I should've dumped ihug
    long ago but scaled down to 5 bucks a month was hardly anything. Still the
    donations to ihug couldn't last for ever. Seems that Paradise has gone
    downhill since Telstra took over them.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Oct 1, 2005
  7. In article <1128206895.289883@ftpsrv1>,
    "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote:

    >The only bad run I've ever had with Slingshot was over 2 years ago not long
    >after joining when there was a month of getting connected problems.

    I've just come back from a friend's place, and he's a Slingshot dialup
    user. The funny thing is, the last couple of times I've visited him, his
    Internet has started acting up while I've been there. It keeps
    disconnecting part way through trying to view a Web page--it could take
    about 3 connection attempts just to view one page.

    Normally I'm supposed to have the opposite effect on equipment--when
    people report problems, they tend to go away while I'm around. This is
    the first time I've had the opposite effect. :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 2, 2005